Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

let's try to cut a long story short.

You all know that i have a R8 but I wanted to change to a second model, the dark green one would have been sold to a friend of mine, so no buy back and i have used the car for about one year, so not speculations.

Nov 2007 i have ordered a R8 with C-Breaks ( i don't really know if necessary as after the Modifications of mine, which I have posted earlier they a really good on the track ) new rims, and for me the most important the VIPER POISON GREEN of the Porsche GT3RS.

Ha ha ha here it starts, first delivery Feb-March 2008, fine. :cool:
Then they announced WE CAN'T DO THIS COLOR :D
After the local Audi boys have wrote to the big guys in Germany, delivery possible, mid May 2008.

I thought, yesterday was more or less mid of may, let's ask them.

Building day 21. June 2008.

The risk that the car will be delivered in September is very high , because almost everything is closed in August.

The funny thing about the story, Audi always say that on " individual " everything is possible, seems not.
Or they just refuse to make a car in a Porsche color.

Why have i canceled, because I do have a R8 already, which is a great car, NO DOUBT !!!!! and I should get the second R8 V10 in March / April 2009

and who knows Switzerland knows that from mid of october beginning of November the winter starts or could start and therefore I don't need the R8 in VIPER POISON GREEN.

It's a shame that the Audi boys couldn't get this sorted out in a better way, if i will buy the V10 i don't know.

I love the car:) ........look:) ......track performance:) ........real fun;) .........not so extraordinary like a Porsche:cool: , only talking about the look.

That's why today I will see the boys at Porsche and check out the GT2 let's see what this is all about.

I will keep you posted.

Best Mike

·
Registered
943 Posts
not really great on the track have tested the superleggera on the track.......
From what the reviews are saying, its pretty awesome. Essentially now a faster, louder R8 with different style.

Though if you just want a track car that isn't and actual race car, and are a good driver, get a GT2. That thing will probably destroy everything on the track. It's insanely fast.

I'm surprised they can't get that color. It's just a paint code, and one that is in the VW brand. I'm guessing they can't do it because Porsche won't let them. It's probably legally a 911 only color under VW agreements and such. I was reading not to long ago that they couldn't name a future car R8-RS because Porsche can only name things with an RS suffix.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Though Audi wants to be like the big boys (Mercedes and BMW) and overtake them in several years, I have always felt that their infrastructure, customer communication, customer care, dealership appearance (many audi dealerships in the US are shared with Porsche, appears subordinate to Porsche because the space allocated to Audi is smaller and in the back), lack of Audi-only store are on level of a "junior".

Unless the above is changed, you still look like and behave like a junior.

As evidenced by Ti-Mike's experience, he was getting served by a junior company.

So why do I put up with this? because the R8 is very desirable and I want it. I would NOT go through this for any of the other Audi models which means that Audi still has a long way to go to battle Mercedes and BMW.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
... get a GT2. That thing will probably destroy everything on the track. It's insanely fast.
You don't buy an obsolete designed, NEW car to destroy the coming wave of new designed high performance cars. The stock R8 will destroy any stock 911 Porsche thru the twisties right now, including the GT2. If you can't do this in your R8, maybe get some driving instruction.) And the R8 V10, and other future models, will be getting more straight away speed. ( The current R8 is just the 1st edition of the R8 line. Remember what the first 911 was, relative to a GTRS?)

If that isn't enough of a 911 killer, buy a Nissan GT-R, and drive in the nails that will finally doom the old 911 rear-engine, over steer, technology. I can't wait to see what Porsche will have for the 911 replacement. With great new performance standards being set everyday by the R8 and the GT-R, ( and by Porsche's own Cayman S!), I think, we are finally seeing the end of the old and honorable 911.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You don't buy an obsolete designed, NEW car to destroy the coming wave of new designed high performance cars. The stock R8 will destroy any stock 911 Porsche thru the twisties right now, including the GT2. If you can't do this in your R8, maybe get some driving instruction.) And the R8 V10, and other future models, will be getting more straight away speed. ( The current R8 is just the 1st edition of the R8 line. Remember what the first 911 was, relative to a GTRS?)

If that isn't enough of a 911 killer, buy a Nissan GT-R, and drive in the nails that will finally doom the old 911 rear-engine, over steer, technology. I can't wait to see what Porsche will have for the 911 replacement. With great new performance standards being set everyday by the R8 and the GT-R, ( and by Porsche's own Cayman S!), I think, we are finally seeing the end of the old and honorable 911.
LOL. Is this a joke? Sounds like a Porsche hater who is mad that his R8 isn't as fast around a track as the fast 911 models.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I have both a R8 and a 500HP Porsche. I'm a member in good standing with the PCA, and I track cars every week. What I said about the R8's superior cornering performance is a fact. I am completely unbiased in what I am saying. I don't have a GT-R , but I'm completely sure that the new Nissan, with its great new technologies, will out perform both of my cars. .. And any GT2! LOL! :D

Today I am at the ALMS races in Utah, and even there, over the public loud speaker system, two ex-racer commentators were discussing the obsolete technology and design of the 911. They were NOT arguing. They were both in agreement.And this is at a huge ALMS event!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have both a R8 and a 500HP Porsche. I'm a member in good standing with the PCA, and I track cars every week. What I said about the R8's superior cornering performance is a fact. I am completely unbiased in what I am saying. I don't have a GT-R , but I'm completely sure that the new Nissan, with its great new technologies, will out perform both of my cars. .. And any GT2! LOL! :D

Today I am at the ALMS races in Utah, and even there, over the public loud speaker system, two ex-racer commentators were discussing the obsolete technology and design of the 911. They were NOT arguing. They were both in agreement.And this is at a huge ALMS event!!
I don't deny that the R8 may be faster in the corners, but what speed a GT2 may lose in the corners will easily be made up in straighter paths. The point is to win the race. How that happens, doesn't matter. And I doubt the GT2 is a dog in the corners. Now, sure, any course can be designed to cater to certain cars, but I'm betting that the GT2 will win in nearly all races you pit it against an R8.

Can you show me where the obsolete design is?

Also, how many results can you show me where the R8 put up better laps than a GT3 or GT3RS? If you want to put another 150-200 hp in the R8, sure, it will be able to compete a hell of a lot better.

In any case, it all depends on the driver. Dribe your R8 against a professional in a obviously lower performing car and you will probably still lose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
agree wholeheartedly - mid engine is far superior to rear engine, hands down. it's a shame porsche would only take the mid engine to it's limits in the GT vs a cayman/boxster. give it a new name or whatever, but build a mid engine car with 911 character already. they tried to one up the 911 with the 928 many years ago, why not call it something else and slot a car ABOVE the 911.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts