Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scraped my rear rim (wheel) really badly and went to Audi (I'm in Hong Kong) to see if they could polish the deep scratches out, etc.

They said they couldn't and that I'd have to buy a new rim, which they are quoting US$2,300 for ONE rim!

Anyone out there repaired/repolished these?

If anyone has replaced a rim, can you post your local cost?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: Damaged rear rim - can it be repaired? If not, how much are you paying for new ones?

In the UK this is very easy to get fixed..

you could send it to either www.lepsons.com or Wicked wheels near Gatwick ..

Either will provide a 100% repair and colour match

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Re: Damaged rear rim - can it be repaired? If not, how much are you paying for new ones?

I have had numerous wheels repaired & refinished over the years at Wheel Techniques near SF with excellent results. The latest was a set of 15" BMW BBS wheels for my E30 I found on eBay DE and had shipped to CA. They looked BETTER than new. Check it out..
http://www.thesaylors.net/SlideShows/1989-BMW-325is/
The web site has some pics of some pretty scary repairs. Repair & refinish cost for 15" averaged about $100-$125 as I recall. Larger wheel = larger the price but nowhere near $2300 - even with shipping! http://www.wheeltechniques.com/wheelrepair.html
That said, althought all these wheel repair companies warranty their repairs to be "as good as new", I would think long and hard about the car a repaired wheel is going on - and what you're going to be doing with that car. For a car like my E30 driver, I did not track it and rarely ran it above 100 MPH so a repaired wheel did not concern me much. In comparison, the R8 can attain considerably faster speeds and exert considerably more G's on those (repaired) wheels. $2300 might be the better investment?

Interested to see other's response on this!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Scraped my rear rim (wheel) really badly and went to Audi (I'm in Hong Kong) to see if they could polish the deep scratches out, etc.

They said they couldn't and that I'd have to buy a new rim, which they are quoting US$2,300 for ONE rim!

Anyone out there repaired/repolished these?

If anyone has replaced a rim, can you post your local cost?

I damaged one rear rim (hit the kerb while turning). I had it replaced by my local Audi dealer and the new rim price was around $600 (I don't recall the exact price but it was between $600 and $700). I also had the damaged one repaired. It looks like new ...cost me $250.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys. As a result of this and other posts I'm waiting to hear back from Audi HK on repairing the wheel.

Would really appreciate if anyone has bought a new rear wheel to post their local price.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Thanks guys. As a result of this and other posts I'm waiting to hear back from Audi HK on repairing the wheel.

Would really appreciate if anyone has bought a new rear wheel to post their local price.
I checked my invoice and the number I gave before was incorrect :eek: . The price for the new rim was $885.26. The tire, which I also had to replace, was $636.00. The repair to the damaged rim (which now looks like new) was $247.00.

·
Registered
163 Posts

i bought a set of takeoffs (wheels and tires) for $2500 + shipping so I could have a set to get powder coated black

1 - 7 of 7 Posts