Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out a simple way to power my Dashcam and Radar detector that I thought I would share. I connected the power to pin #4 on the overhead maplight and garage door opener module. The module is very simple to pulldown and the connector is easy to access. Pin #4 is the black wire. I used the existing screw above the module since it connects to the metal roof. I fed the wires to the windshield, just bend the roof liner a small amount to get the wires through. Here are some pics.

20190804_094142.jpg 20190804_094147.jpg 20190804_094150.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great info, planing on a radar install shortly.

Separately, a number of Bay Area R8 owners (I am also in San Jose) are doing a run to the coast 8/10. DM me if interested.

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 Plus
38 Posts
I figured out a simple way to power my Dashcam and Radar detector that I thought I would share. I connected the power to pin #4 on the overhead maplight and garage door opener module. The module is very simple to pulldown and the connector is easy to access. Pin #4 is the black wire. I used the existing screw above the module since it connects to the metal roof. I fed the wires to the windshield, just bend the roof liner a small amount to get the wires through. Here are some pics.

View attachment 238406 View attachment 238408 View attachment 238410
Does the maplight and garage door module just pop in and out? I will be installing my radar detector and am considering a drivecam install as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't comment on the garage door module/map light ease of removal but I just installed my valentine one by tapping into the 12v power going into the rearview mirror and the rearview mirror housing is very easy to remove. You pull downward on the skinny end of the housing adjacent to the headlinder and it pops right off.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a custom wire tap made that splits off into a micro usb for the camera and a phone plug for the radar. Just has small pins which push into the powered mirror plug under the plastic cover. Works great.

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 Plus
38 Posts
I had a custom wire tap made that splits off into a micro usb for the camera and a phone plug for the radar. Just has small pins which push into the powered mirror plug under the plastic cover. Works great.
Did you purchase this online or have any additional information? From this set up I am assuming you cannot use parking mode on the camera, is this correct? Thanks,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts