Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I had to bring the R8 for service so needed to subject it to DD mileage for the morning as I went about my day. My DD is a 2018 MB E43 which is the perfect car for getting around town.

First up was taking my daughter to her day camp cause it’s summer holidays. Driving up slogging through traffic and construction barely getting above 100kph with dirt and dump trucks all over. Get to camp and park around the corner so my daughter isn’t embarrassed by her dad & a show of wealth while she works to meet new friends.

Next up I have to hit the bank when it opens at 9 & it’s a crowded shopping complex. Crawled around the parking lot looking for a safe spot while everyone watches. Finally one opens up, but I’m a backer-inner so I line myself up & a crowd forms to watch me park which is fine but not what I’m used to.

After that it was late stage rush hour to get to the dealer for the service appointment. Never above 5000rpm, always looking at the back of a far lesser car & worried someone else was going to make a mistake and hit my beauty.

At the end of the day I picked up the car and drove it home during rush hour again. Lots of looks and stares but also lots of traffic.

I know the R8 is billed as the DD super car but I just don’t see the appeal. I’ll keep driving mine late at night and on long highway trips. $0.02.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The classic saying still remains true: “not driving your exotic and saving it for special occasions is like having a hot wife and saving her for the next man because you sleep with her only on your birthday.”

Personally I daily my exotics 24/7 unless I have to go to a sketchy place, have to street park in a major city, have more than one passenger, and if I need to actually haul groceries.

Heck, I used to daily a GT3 RS and even used the harness seatbelts for fun. Each to their own, but in my eyes these are still cars meant to be driven whenever and enjoyed accordingly. Only time it stays home is if it’s a burden for my current activity at hand.

·
Registered
385 Posts
if the inconveniences of having to look for parking or worry about other drivers worries you thats one thing but otherwise no shame in driving it for routine stuff.

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
140 Posts
I agree with the OP to some extent. When I take the R8, I do a mental calculation of the road conditions, parking space, steep driveway entries, construction zones, and general safety.

I have always done this for my other car (Porsche) as well but had relaxed few checks over time but I would still hate to run over a pothole, park in a tight spot, scrape the bottom on a steep entry, or get hit by fresh tarmac.

I think if you don't care about getting few dings, and scratches, you won't have to worry too much but most of us want to keep the car pristine.

On the other hand, I would never worry about taking it to crowded places and have others look at it. It's always fun to get the stares, looks, and compliments!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I attempt to strike a balance between using it frequently so that I get to enjoy it as much as I want, but not too much so that it becomes less special.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Errr i use mine as a car, when i need to be somewhere i take it.
Last washed maybe 6months back, lives outside, has a few stone chips and scrapes but nothing serious (decent garage could make it look perfect in a day i reckon) and avoids any concerns about taking it out and it getting wet/dirty/stuck in traffic etc The reason i don't want it perfect is then the fear like you describe, anyway there is something cooler about a decent car looking like it has been used as the manufacturer intended.

To be fair sometimes when I don't need to be somewhere i still take it :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Errr i use mine as a car, when i need to be somewhere i take it.
Last washed maybe 6months back, lives outside, has a few stone chips and scrapes but nothing serious (decent garage could make it look perfect in a day i reckon) and avoids any concerns about taking it out and it getting wet/dirty/stuck in traffic etc The reason i don't want it perfect is then the fear like you describe, anyway there is something cooler about a decent car looking like it has been used as the manufacturer intended.

To be fair sometimes when I don't need to be somewhere i still take it :)
you are a hero in my book. community needs more owners that think like this imo. nothing against the people who baby their like garage queens but at the end of the day they are a means of transportation... now go wash your car! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I daily the heck out of mine and love every minute of it. :cool: Grocery store, gym, you name it. And even with all the mileage under my belt, it's still just as exciting as it was day one, maybe even more so now. I read somewhere on the forums years ago that if your car is no longer special -or too much stress to deal with- it's time to move on and truly believe that. I simply don't understand the garage queen mentality on keeping cars.

While I do worry about other drivers, parking, etc, I do that with ANY car. And although rare, I won't take it if it's a sketchy part of town - just not worth it. Over the years, I've learned the roads to take, the best parking spots, etc so it's not as difficult as it used to be. No dings or scratches here.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Super cars and hyper cars are NOT DD unless you are filthy rich, fuel, ceramic brakes insurance and wear and tear of the car will cost you a lot if you drive daily for 40 to 50 miles a day, also you can't park the car anywhere it will get stolen or damaged sooner or later. My 2 centavos.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Why waste your money on a car that just sits in the garage and depreciates anyway? This isn't some limited production Ford GT or some hyper car it's just an R8. The amount of money you spent on a 2018 Mercedes (fuel, maintain, insure, depreciation), you could have just drove the R8) 🤣

32,000 miles and free mileage climbing. Whether it's 25,000 or 45,000 miles someone's gonna panic and go OMG high mileage anyways so who cares? Car is solid and meant to be driven.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My V10 gets better mileage and is more comfortable than almost any car that I've ever had including 6cyl turbos.

Reliable, covered by warranty, not crazy flashy, amazing climate control and audio system, great sound isolation.

You probably worked hard to get this car - DRIVE IT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Use it or lose it! Life is short so enjoy it. I do think about road conditions, parking situations, and the destination before I take my R8 out but I drive it whenever I can. I’m tired of handing over my pristine vehicles to the next owner.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I get both sides of this debate. Dailied mine for a year, then bought a regular daily. I bought mine to drive it and literally put more miles on it the second year not dailying it than I did the first year dailying it. It doesn't feel as special if you drive it every day, but driving boring cars just gets old to me.

Mine is high mileage, bought it to drive it a lot, have it fully clear bra'd. Selling the daily I bought (seems silly not too in this market) and going to use the R8 and my S2k as dailies. Life is too short for boring vehicles. I'm sure eventually I'll need a practical vehicle, but while I'm young(ish) and single, I've decided I'm going to enjoy what I drive every day.

Sure, most days its a boring commute, but having the option to do a long pull onto the highway after a bad day at work or take the (very) long way home to blow off steam is really nice option to have.

We all enjoy cars in our own way. Part of the beauty of them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I understand both sides of this, but no DD for me. I really enjoy having a really sweet blemish free R8. I know if I DD it, the door dings etc. will come, and I've been rear ended and driven into several times while sitting at stop lights. Upsetting enough when it was the BMW and Mercedes. I'd be really upset if my R8 had that happen and then the corresponding depreciation hit. I know many don't consider these cars an investment, but I think in today's market, you can drive and enjoy and not really loose money if you keep it in top shape. I'm not ready to knock $20K off what I put in to it to drive it in rush hour crap and dodge mindless SUVs going to the mall. I've got other sacrificial lambs for those purposes. My daily is an '89 300E Benz with 80K on the clock. Still a nice car, and I'll drive and park it anywhere and never think twice about it. Not so much the R8.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's not just the cost is about where you work and live can't just park the car in downtown everyday, can't take it to costco or pick up mi children, so see for me its not a DD car. :p

·
Registered
971 Posts
Use it or lose it! Life is short so enjoy it. I do think about road conditions, parking situations, and the destination before I take my R8 out but I drive it whenever I can. I’m tired of handing over my pristine vehicles to the next owner.
Until you park the car in downtown and all wheels are missing and the car is on bricks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Until you park the car in downtown and all wheels are missing and the car is on bricks.
That's my only exception - I don't park the car on the street. The complete disregard for other people's property when people park here is appalling.

But yeah, I'd worry more about wheels missing on blocks in quieter areas. Definitely not downtown here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some years back, had the joy of returning to my car to find a rear window broken out and the center console had literally been cut out with a saw to get the radio.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts