Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My car is scheduled for build week 23 (week commencing June 2nd) and I have enquired to my dealer about a paint protection film and here is what I have been offered.
Please give your thoughts..

VPP paint protection (which is just like a diamondbrite product but has been formulated for Inchape companies with some know-how from Autoglym).
It is a both and exterior and interior teratment, with a scotchguard like treatment for the Nappa leather, and also a clear gloss finish on the exterior.

They also do a wheel protection.

For both the cost is 350GBP.

I dont know much about these things and this sounds different to all the films I have read about on here...is it worth getting this??

Also for UK owners; how long did you wait until sitting in your car from the build date?!?!

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
For 350GBP (probably a few trips of gas) the protection seems worth it. The leather seats get pretty ruffed up after getting in and out a few times. My jeans have left blue scuff marks on the leather within a few days.

Also, I am always amazed to see how people ordered and waited for cars. I guess there aren't too many people here doing things on a "whim".

How do you guys have patience to wait for this car? 6 months? a year?

that's amazing self control :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its done by my dealer in the UK..
Yes the wait (11 months so far) is **** painful...I live my fantasy through this forum!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Stop

Film, yes if you like that sort of thing .. however R8England's car has this and i may say it was very good.

Anything else DON'T !

Go and see an expert detailer see www.detailingworld.com

Hope that helps ... more than happy to discuss on phone ... note I am not a trader !!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
None of the coatings will provide any real protection against chips like film does - but if you get film get a full bonnet not partial (like I did) to avoid the horizontal line.

If you want your car protected, I agree with Andy - it's far better to get a professional detailer to do it rather than the dealer imo. A good detailer will get your paint perfect before applying products whereas dealers often just use products that fill and hide imperfections, which means they resurface over time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noted...

andy when you say 'if thats your sort of thing' what do you mean by this?
Is the film visible?

thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was offered a similar thing. It was originally 350 USD, but when I declined, he gave me it for 200 USD. He said it protected against sap, bird droppings, swirls in the paint etc. If there are every any issues with the paint, it's covered for 5 years and is transferable.

It also included conditioning for the leather which I like.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bought one of the Autoglym Professional kits off eBay for less than a tenner and did it myself. Took me a few hours but easy to do and I half enjoyed it. Kit had enough in it for at least 2 cars.

Finish was very nice but no different from the other products you can get from Halfords.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, UK.
Forget the polishes and waxes and go for the stick on film if you want real protection. The R8 chips really easily, especially with motorway and track use ..... something to do with the water based paint. I have had the full frontal kit from wing mirrors onwards ....this includes the headlights. Paintshield in Grantham did a great job on mine for about £1200 . It took the better part of a day however.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not so sure about chips easily - I have one on the bonnet after 8,300 miles and that's it. It may be the grime and the dead insects that are protecting it :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone have a pic with the protective film on the car? Is it at all noticeable from the rest of the unprotected pannels?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I didn't bother with it. I waited too long to get it to have to wait more for a film to be put on. Maybe I'll do it with my next one.

I have a tiny nick on the edge of the side blade and a few tiny spots on the hood. I couldn't care less. Unless you are inspecting the car up close and looking for them, they aren't even noticable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts