Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm electing Wei Wei as the new moderator. He/She or whatever the hell it is, is in here more than you. :mad: and with all the WoW gold he has been selling, I bet he can afford to buy an R8 and become more involved.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does LRKSFAG gets to be the deputy? what about that one that's simply "support" everything.

I too am getting quite sick to this crap.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guys, we are going to put some additional tools in place to stop the spam... but I agree, we need some more moderators on the site.

Lets get a poll going to see who all the site thinks would make a good moderator. Remember to nominate/vote for someone you think will do a good job, not just someone who is popular.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, if you see spam please alert us to it by using the 'report a post' feature and we'll get it taken care of.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My company is based online and work from home. I wouldn't mind doing it, as I'm at the computer all the time. I check this place probably 50 times a day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Perhaps instigating an activation email procedure as part of initial registration would be a good plan. I'm sure we'd all be ok re-registering to not have spammers polluting the forum.
A friend of mine runs a couple of music forums and has found this the best way to keep the automated spam at bay... he gets around 150 bounced emails each day from fake registrations.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, we just flipped the switch that requires a new user to verify his email address before he can post. That should help a bit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Where do you guys even see spam? I've seen like two posts of spam since this place began. Are you getting private message/email spam?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
There has been masses of spam of late - with the spammers creating new usernames and spam bombing 5-10 old threads with garbage links to their wow gold sites. The moderators have cleaned up the old threads and hopefully the email confirmation they've added will mean this site won't be as prone to the scripts the spammers are using.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Saw the spammers have just posted a batch again - I'd strongly recommend changing to a non-standard captcha or something like a simple sum type approach where you present 2 numbers and a function (add/subtract) and require a human answer.

the problem with using standard built in vb stuff is the scripters get the best return on effort for defeating those as that gets them into a large number of sites vs having something unique to your site which would require them to specifically target you rather than the scattergun approach they typically use.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Are these just standard widely used off the shelf add-ons or custom coded?

·
Registered
943 Posts
My friend just has a set of numbers written in text on the 'About' page. When you register, it tells you to go to the page and get the numbers. Bots can't do this. There is never any spam on his board.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts