Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a lot of talk on here regrading tunes. I was told if you have a base it is 100 percent worth it to get the tune. Thoughts? I am seeing DME, VFE, Gintai, and some others.. What is everyones thoughts? Worth it??

·
Registered
644 Posts
Many places sell off the shelf tunes with no optimisation.

Make sure you find a good shop that has a dyno and the skill to optimise the tune for your car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DS1 is basically 100hp in a box. great company and great people.
I second this . DS1 is the ONLY tune you should even consider from dynospectrum. 100% the best in the business.

I picked up 120whp on the dyno with them and all the engine safeties and map switching for fuels and power levels . No one compares.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is it as good as you both say, I have a 2017 R8 base which has just dropped out of warranty hence tempted.
I have previously used piggy back ECUs on lesser turbo cars but would be the first time updating the ECU direct, reading their install instructions appears to be pretty straightforward. why this over APR for example as despite having lived in the UK for decades I have never heard of this company!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is it as good as you both say, I have a 2017 R8 base which has just dropped out of warranty hence tempted.
I have previously used piggy back ECUs on lesser turbo cars but would be the first time updating the ECU direct, reading their install instructions appears to be pretty straightforward. why this over APR for example as despite having lived in the UK for decades I have never heard of this company!

Many many reasons. Biggest is engine safeties and Map switching that APR or any other tuner can't ot provide on a stock ecu .

U can have up to 8 tunes on stock ecu and switch them on the fly with the cruise control button .

I have stock power , 91 tune , 94 tune and E85 tune that has the most power

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks, appreciate it.
Can you really feel the difference .... i only use 94 octane (98/99 RON) here in Europe and want to be wowed :) It won't be tracked nor drag'd, just fast road.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Performance
132 Posts
I just posted a Dragy video of my 1/4 mile run with 60-130 time of my tuned 2017 V10.

Many people and tuners love to talk but not many actually show real data. I hope others will take the time like I did to post real world numbers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many many reasons. Biggest is engine safeties and Map switching that APR or any other tuner can't ot provide on a stock ecu .

U can have up to 8 tunes on stock ecu and switch them on the fly with the cruise control button .

I have stock power , 91 tune , 94 tune and E85 tune that has the most power
This is a nice feature, but what if I dont want to run e85 and just want a simple tune for 93? Can DS1 do this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just posted a Dragy video of my 1/4 mile run with 60-130 time of my tuned 2017 V10.

Many people and tuners love to talk but not many actually show real data. I hope others will take the time like I did to post real world numbers.
I also did this at my elevation (4k and 5kda) stock was 9.2 60-130 and my best tuned with dynospectrum on e85 is now 6.6

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you have a video or an image of the runs? What are the mods on your car? Year? Model?
Of course on my dragy . I'll screenshot them if u like . I post on dragy under the same name AirdrieVentador . I hold most mclaren records as well for my nitrous 720s . With the same tuner

My r8 has , exhaust , filters and dynospectrum tune on the ds1 and Running E85

·
Registered
2017 R8 Performance
132 Posts
Of course on my dragy . I'll screenshot them if u like . I post on dragy under the same name AirdrieVentador . I hold most mclaren records as well for my nitrous 720s . With the same tuner

My r8 has , exhaust , filters and dynospectrum tune on the ds1 and Running E85
Seems like you dropped another second with the freer flow and E85. Not bad.

Can a 2nd gen R8 handle a splash of E85? Maybe 2 gallons per fill up? That woke my GTR up.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Can a 2nd gen R8 handle a splash of E85? Maybe 2 gallons per fill up? That woke my GTR up.
My car is a second gen and I run full e85 all the time. Now I have a tune for it with proper injector scaling but if u add a little to a fill of 93 u should be good

·
Registered
53 Posts

And to be honest I dropped more time and got faster than thw rest cause of a proper all out tune . We custom dyno tuned it remotely for hours and did a ton to it.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Performance
132 Posts
And to be honest I dropped more time and got faster than thw rest cause of a proper all out tune . We custom dyno tuned it remotely for hours and did a ton to it.
I have a Plaid that runs high 4's so I felt doing more than just an OTS tune wouldn't be worth it. I wanted the car to drive as similar to stock as possible. I'm happy with 130 in the 1/4. It feels fast and pulls hard up top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts