Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably no secret that SBFV10 and I are interested in 2010 production information and the "new nav.", since he and I both have 2010 cars (his a v10, mine a v8) coming around Sept. (his early Sept., mine later per latest info)

I have been throwing out a lot of stuff about decoding and reporting VIN's in various posts (and if you're bored with this topic, forgive me and move on), but I thought I'd put this all out there in a new thread, so we might get some more reporting as these 2010's are showing up, and especially for those of you shopping for v10's and wondering, "where does the new nav show up?"

THAT is what I'd like to find out by this "research":rolleyes: (if you will;))
into VIN's. Also, it's kind of interesting to know what the VIN tells you.

For those who hesitate, a word about the "privacy" issue. The VIN of a car is very public if it's physically present. You can walk up and read it. In SOME jurisdictions perhaps, a private party can learn name and address of the registered owner by knowing a VIN. That's not true in my state, but it could be an issue some places. But dealers typically report VIN's in ads, and it's not something anyone can't learn if they see your car.

IF you wish to keep a VIN confidential, there's only ONE digit you need to conceal (or change) and that's digit 9, which is a "checksum" digit that must add up, along with the serial number (last 6 digits) and some other digits (formula is "secret", known to motor vehicle authorities, but not discoverable, by me at least).

If digit 9, the checksum validator, does not "add up" with the other digits (the letters have "values") in the VIN, the VIN is signaled to be "INVALID". So, if you want to share your VIN, but keep it from being "usable" for any purpose, disguise digit 9 (with an "X", since "X" does not occur in a VIN or a false value). Since digit 9 doesn't "mean" anything, changing it is no loss as far as info about the CAR (but if you gave it to the DMV, they'd reject it!)

Anyway, now that we're over our squeamishness about sharing VINs, take a look at what follows and then, when you see a 2010, let us know on the forum what its VIN told you and whether or not it has "new nav." Thanks for your interest!

Another note: SOME of what I say below is TENTATIVE. I THINK the descriptors I give for v8 & v10 engines and emissions systems apply to all, but I don't know for sure, since conventional Audi VIN references out there typically don't have R8 info! The same applies to the digits for restraint systems and the 2 digit "model" descriptor. I know what I've got here is correct for at least SOME R8's.

Altogether, the uncertainty about what I say is limited to digits 4,5,6,7 &8. The rest is pretty cut and dried and published lots of places. Of course, we don't know for SURE that the serial production #'s START with "1". Some low production car series, historically, have NOT always started with 1. If a lot of people report and/or critique what I say here, maybe we'll learn something we don't know yet!!;) Feedback and correction is welcome:cool:

Digits 1,2,3: "WUA"=Europe,Germany,Audi
Digits 4,5: emissions group and specific engine code;v8="DU", v10="AN"
Digits 6: restraint system code, seems to be "A" for all R8's
Digits 7,8: body/chassis "model" code, seems to be "FG" for all R8's(coupe?)
Digit 9: the checksum validator,differs for every serial #
Digit 10: the model year code; "9"=2009, "A"=2010
Digit 11: place of final assembly, "N"=Neckarsulm for all R8's
Digits 12-17: serial production number for year & place;
Last 9 digits referred to as the "unique identifier" for a given car.
Evidence suggests to me that engine group can change without beginning a new series, since v8's and v10's SEEM to be numbered in the same sequence this year. That is an assumption, and I could be incorrect!!

So, v8 should be WUADUAFGxAN00xxxx (since they build <10,000)
and a V10 WUAANAFGxAN00xxxx

I'd love it if people would put up some 2010 VIN's they've seen, and if any of this is wrong or doesn't compute, we'll learn something about the VIN's of the R8.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Davey_Dee.....this car "should" be a 2010 early production car. If it isn't a "demo or pre-regular customer production car", and if it is US bound, then it should have the newer nav. system. These earlier cars, and cars not going to the US market may NOT follow the "new nav. rule" that "all 2010 US customer production cars" will have the new nav. system.

Steve

P.S. They Naples car, if Naples Fl., shows in it's pictures a button labeled "media" which is a good sign, but it also shows a button labeled Fm/Am. Some of the newest cars seem to say "Radio" there instead. So.....who know exactly if that car is the latest nav. system or not......but it does mention real time traffic which is on the newer system, so that is a good sign! Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
IF you wish to keep a VIN confidential, there's only ONE digit you need to conceal (or change) and that's digit 9, which is a "checksum" digit that must add up, along with the serial number (last 6 digits) and some other digits (formula is "secret", known to motor vehicle authorities, but not discoverable, by me at least).

If digit 9, the checksum validator, does not "add up" with the other digits (the letters have "values") in the VIN, the VIN is signaled to be "INVALID". So, if you want to share your VIN, but keep it from being "usable" for any purpose, disguise digit 9 (with an "X", since "X" does not occur in a VIN or a false value). Since digit 9 doesn't "mean" anything, changing it is no loss as far as info about the CAR (but if you gave it to the DMV, they'd reject it!)
The formula for the check digit is here. Note that X can indeed be present in a VIN, and in particular in the ninth position. A calculator for the check digit is here.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The formula for the check digit is here. Note that X can indeed be present in a VIN, and in particular in the ninth position. A calculator for the check digit is here.
Yes! After I wrote that, I realized, that IS an error. The letters that are EXCLUDED from VIN's are I, O & Q. U and Z are additionally excluded from the (VAG) model year sequence. If you want to "neuter" your VIN, put "I, O or Q" in digit 9. Or, just change digit 9 so it won't equal the value calculation of the othr digits (ref. given in post above)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Willy & SBFV10,

What would you decipher from the following VIN?

WUAANAFGXAN000319

I can see the A for 2010 and N for city of assembly, anything else?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I'll defer to Willy and Herbert!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Here's the official word on VIN numbers. (click on the image for a larger version):

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
HovyR8...I tried the calculator Herbert points to above and this is what it shows:
http://www.alton-moore.net/vin_calculation.php
A Valid VIN!
Steve
That vin cited above by Hovy is the 319th 2010 v10, built in Neckarsulm (as all are).
Does it have new NAV?

I haven't spent any time with Herbert's formula for the check digit. What my research turned up was that it was NOT a simple sum and that the formula was "obscure and kept confidential by DMV's." I don't know whether that's B.S. or not. What he said looked pretty straightforward.

Doen't really matter: the check digit tells YOU nothing about a car; it tells DMV whether or not a VIN's been changed in some way. Not something I care about. Note Desperado's decoder says "per NHTSA code."

BTW, Deperado, there's one thing wrong with that decoder you put up. Digits 7&8, the "model" designator. Yours (from Bentley's book right?) says R8="42" but all the R8 VIN's I've seen so far have "FG" in that spot. Not sure what to make of that??

Also, one interesting thing in Desperado's post: note that Audi, Germany is coded in the first 3 digits as "WAU" but Quattro, gmbh, the sub who builds the R8 (and generally the S and RS cars) is "WUA." I had tentatively figured that out on my own, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Mine has 42. Never seen an FG :confused:

Yes, from Bentley.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Mine has 42. Never seen an FG :confused:

Yes, from Bentley.
INTERESTING!!!! You note the two VIN's cited in this thread (both 2010 v10's)by Davy and Hovy BOTH have "FG" in places 7 & 8

SBFV10 and I both have VINs for our ordered 2010's, and BOTH have "FG"...and mine is a 2010 v8!

so they changed the model descriptor from "42" to "FG"

so I wonder when that happened? is your car an '08 or '09?

R8 England: you've reported a late '09 v10: does your VIN have "42" or "FG" in places 7 & 8?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
That vin cited above by Hovy is the 319th 2010 v10, built in Neckarsulm (as all are).
Does it have new NAV?

I haven't spent any time with Herbert's formula for the check digit. What my research turned up was that it was NOT a simple sum and that the formula was "obscure and kept confidential by DMV's." I don't know whether that's B.S. or not. What he said looked pretty straightforward.

Doen't really matter: the check digit tells YOU nothing about a car; it tells DMV whether or not a VIN's been changed in some way. Not something I care about. Note Desperado's decoder says "per NHTSA code."

BTW, Deperado, there's one thing wrong with that decoder you put up. Digits 7&8, the "model" designator. Yours (from Bentley's book right?) says R8="42" but all the R8 VIN's I've seen so far have "FG" in that spot. Not sure what to make of that??

Also, one interesting thing in Desperado's post: note that Audi, Germany is coded in the first 3 digits as "WAU" but Quattro, gmbh, the sub who builds the R8 (and generally the S and RS cars) is "WUA." I had tentatively figured that out on my own, but it's nice to see it confirmed.
That car does have the new nav ... I have seen it

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was at the dealership today ... it has gone.
NO FREAKING WAY! ALREADY! :eek::eek::eek::eek: I called them today and I was told that it's available but that the dealer's owner drives it.

Did you buy it by any chance? :) I wonder what's the wait for the V10, forgot to ask them. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CORRECTION, FWIW:

I said that about a car with VIN WUAANAFGXAN000319

I SHOULD have said it is the 319th 2010 R8, NOT "v10" because we're seeing that the v8's and v10's are in the same serial number sequence

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Thanks Swansailor. You answered the lowest number question of a (V10) R8 seen with the new nav system.....VIN 319. Anyone seen the new system on any earlier cars?

Steve

1 - 20 of 30 Posts