Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been reading the forum for some time now. I placed an order for an R8 in March 07, with an anticipated delivery date of September 08. I have just received a letter from Audi telling me that delivery will now be anything from November - January 09 !. I phoned them up and have been told it's because I specified Carbon Sigma Side blades and Engine cover. They told me there is a worldwide shortage and the only way to improve the delivery date would be to take these off the car !.
I don't really want to do that as I think they really add to the overall look of the car. Anyone else had this same experience ? I am in the UK.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Petrolhead

Firstly welcome to the forum :)

Secondly AUK are telling the truth. At the time of finalising my spec I was told that specifying anything CF would delay my delivery due to worldwide shortages of CF.

My car was ordered in March '07 and final spec in Nov '07 with delivery expected April / May '08

Personally I decided to go the non CF route. There are a few aftermarket CF companies in the US that are now offering the parts.

Cheers

Mainy

·
Registered
156 Posts
if CF is the only thing holding up your order,
then go the after market route, i know that's what i'll be doing..
one of our sponsors Elite Motorsports seems to be a good supplier of CF parts for the R8...
all we need now are confirmed pricing and some good pictures to seal the deal :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's true, but who cares. They are accessories that can be easily added later.
You are correct: oem/plus & elite motosports to name 2,
-- BUT -- at a much higher price!

I will fight much harder for CF from the factory on my R10.....
OTOH, I'll be going thru Exclusive for that next car anyway; so the CF won't delay it any more than spec paint and other options....

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I was told about the cf shortage too, that's why I didn't spec it on the sideblades as I figure I can change them out down the line if I want to.

I'd rather have the car earlier without cf blades than wait.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You are correct: oem/plus & elite motosports to name 2,
-- BUT -- at a much higher price!

I will fight much harder for CF from the factory on my R10.....
OTOH, I'll be going thru Exclusive for that next car anyway; so the CF won't delay it any more than spec paint and other options....
Just order it from the factory then and get it installed when they get it. Last time I checked oempl.us was a huge rip off.

I plan on doing the same with the next model, but I'm curious, do you think when they say they can make any color, they mean just the color, or how it looks as well. I'm really planning on a very very dark red, almost black depending on the angle, but I'm thinking that the method of painting is just as important as the color.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you like the CF then I would wait for the car you want.

I added CF Sideblades when I did the final spec and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your veiw on this, I spoke to Audi UK again today. As far as retro
fitting goes, no problem with the blades, but they tell me that the engine bay would not be a good idea to retro fit.
I think I'll probably wait to get the carbon options, I really think they finish the car off. Although only purely cosmetic !;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for your veiw on this, I spoke to Audi UK again today. As far as retro
fitting goes, no problem with the blades, but they tell me that the engine bay would not be a good idea to retro fit.
I think I'll probably wait to get the carbon options, I really think they finish the car off. Although only purely cosmetic !;)
Plenty of people on the forums retro fitted the engine with ease. I don't know why Audi would say it's difficult.

·
Registered
347 Posts
because they want your $$$ :D

I think CF side view mirrors would look pretty cool too..
just like the 360 stradale
They are!! I am thinking of getting a set!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts