Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to installing my 3rd FR mag shock today and observed some differences in the Delphi vs BWI manufactured Audi Magnetic Shocks.

The design of the Delphi manufactured AMR shocks look much sturdier with thick aluminum spring collars top and bottom while the BWI lower spring collar appears to be a thinner painted metal collar with a longer sleeve.

BWI (BeijingWest Industries Co., Ltd.) has modified the AMR shocks after it acquired Delphi in 2009 but the new design AMR shocks do not appear to be more reliable.

My observation is that the Delphi mag shocks are better. The first front pair of my failed Delphi shocks leaked so badly, they looked like they were dipped in oil, yet they continued to absorbed all bumps and never bottom out. Dampening felt softer, but worked fine and even continued to firm up in Sports mode.

On the other hand, my front BWI shock hardly has any oil leak and yet kept bottoming out over the slightest bumps. As the photos show, the BWI shock looks almost dry. They were removed from the car and not wiped clean before the photos were taken.

My advise is, if your Delphi made shocks fail, don't discard them so quickly. Try to repair or "regenerate" them with the Magnetic shock refurbishment services available.

I have lost faith in both the Delphi and BWI AMR shocks and will change to the non mag ride shocks once they fail again.

Anyone know which company manufactures the non mag standard, Plus or GT shocks? Cheers.

IMG_3912.jpg IMG_3918.jpg IMG_3922.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3911.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I regret not switching to the non mag Plus shocks when I had to replace both my front mags.

Thanks for sending out the replacement so quickly Osman. Appreciate your excellent service as always. Cheers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is the ride height on the facelift V10+ shocks different (lower) than the mag ride ones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Is the ride height on the facelift V10+ shocks different (lower) than the mag ride ones?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ride height is slightly higher at the rear than stock. V10 Plus has a raked stance to make better use of the front tires.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So BWI is from China???? Yikes ! AMR is Audi Mag Ride I presume....

My local dealer here says few R8s have needed struts.... hmmm..

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BWI (Beijing West Industries Co., Ltd.) is a Chinese company which bought up the Delphi suspension division back in 2009. It seems BWI subsequently changed the hardware design of the magnetic shocks specifically designed for the AMR (Audi Mag Ride).

Whether this was a cost cutting measure or attempt to improve the reliability is uncertain. I only know my brand new front BWI AMR shock FAILED within 2 years with less than 15k km. :mad:

Seems the Delphi made shocks are sturdier. Cheers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had my mag ride replaced a few months ago. When it arrived, noticed the difference. The BWI as mentioned seems to have a thinner spring support whilst the Delphi is made of what looked like cast iron?(not sure) but definitely sturdier. Hope the set will carry me for quite a while before the infamous leak starts. Kept the original set for possible refurbishment. Anyone used the service yet?

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original front shocks failed due to going over a narrow drainage opening entering my condo bending both front rims so that is understandable.

Second set right front failed under 2 years with around 15k km of use with no apparent damage to rims or going over any potholes.

Good you're keeping your original shocks. Have them refurbished and let us know how it goes. ;)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Finally got around to installing my 3rd FR mag shock today and observed some differences in the Delphi vs BWI manufactured Audi Magnetic Shocks.

The design of the Delphi manufactured AMR shocks look much sturdier with thick aluminum spring collars top and bottom while the BWI lower spring collar appears to be a thinner painted metal collar with a longer sleeve.

BWI (BeijingWest Industries Co., Ltd.) has modified the AMR shocks after it acquired Delphi in 2009 but the new design AMR shocks do not appear to be more reliable.

My observation is that the Delphi mag shocks are better. The first front pair of my failed Delphi shocks leaked so badly, they looked like they were dipped in oil, yet they continued to absorbed all bumps and never bottom out. Dampening felt softer, but worked fine and even continued to firm up in Sports mode.

On the other hand, my front BWI shock hardly has any oil leak and yet kept bottoming out over the slightest bumps. As the photos show, the BWI shock looks almost dry. They were removed from the car and not wiped clean before the photos were taken.

My advise is, if your Delphi made shocks fail, don't discard them so quickly. Try to repair or "regenerate" them with the Magnetic shock refurbishment services available.

I have lost faith in both the Delphi and BWI AMR shocks and will change to the non mag ride shocks once they fail again.

Anyone know which company manufactures the non mag standard, Plus or GT shocks? Cheers.

View attachment 117393 View attachment 117401 View attachment 117409 View attachment 117417 View attachment 117425
I have a 2012 spyder with BMI shocks and was informed by Nagenast from Poland that they have Delphi in stock that they repaired and can ship. Can I put the Delphi shocks to replace the BMI in the rear. I will still have BMI in front.
Would appreciate any help with this
Is there someone other than Nagenast that repairs these shocks in Canada or USA
thanks

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
AFAIK you can interchange/mix them up at will. Same dampers but made by a different company.
Not aware of anyone other than Nagengast that refurbs these.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Just found this company in the U.K. - Powertuning.com.uk this is their claim from their facebook page -

We can repair every shock-absorbers for most of the car types, motorcycles and other equipment on the market.
Each repair is covered by a written warranty (1 or 2 years).

- shock-absorbers with the NIVO system in Mercedes and BMW cars

- shock-absorbers with EDC system (Electronic Damper Control) in BMW cars, E 31 ; E32 ; E34 ; E38 ; E65 ; E66 2 YEARS WARRANTY

- central shock-absorbers for all types of motorcycles

- shock-absorbers cooperating with the airbag in Lexus and Audi cars

- shock-absorbers with the IDS CDC system ( electrical shock-absorber control) used in Ford Mondeo, S-Max, Galaxy and in Opel Vectra and Astra

- shock-absorbers with AMVAR system (electrical shock-absorber control ) used in Peugot 407 coupe,607, Citroen C6

- shock-absorbers with Magnetic Ride system, ( shock-absorbers with a special magnetorheological liquid used in Audi TT, R8)

Please contact me for more details on 07877453936 or sent message on Facebook.Arthur

Regards
Power-Tuning

Email sent asking for clarification, price and turn around time, here's hoping they do and at a reasonable price!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Nice find Dave. Certainly closer to home for we Brits, no so for you guys over the pond though.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Nice find Dave. Certainly closer to home for we Brits, no so for you guys over the pond though.
Trading emails as we speak, guys name is Arthur, he's asking for car reg ! which I can't give him so let's see what the next email brings. I've also got a used set in the U.K. kkkkkkkk.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Trading emails as we speak, guys name is Arthur, he's asking for car reg ! which I can't give him so let's see what the next email brings. I've also got a used set in the U.K. kkkkkkkk.
Keep us posted please.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts