Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a dent in the bonnet successfully removed? With it being double skinned it seems next to impossible! I went to see a second dent place today and they said they could access the bonnet through the the thin slits right at the front of the bonnet but it would bend the metal slightly so I didn't opt for it.

I was thinking of drilling a very small hole at the end of one of the slits though so they could access and it wouldn't be so noticeable.. The other option is to respray the lot but that seems extreme and I'd be worried about the paint match.. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
How did the dent happen? Did someone sit on the hood?

The wider the dent, the more likely you can pull it out with a vacuum cup.

If it's a sharp dent from a rock, then a respray is needed.

Got photos of the damage?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like a stone chip but it's not damaged the paint. If I need the whole lot spraying then I may as well wait as the rest of the bonnet isn't too bad. I was hoping we could just get access at the front where the thin little skits are where the bonnet starts to curve.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
That's not too bad a dent. A small dent like that wouldn't work with a suction cup. Likely going in from under the slits to pop it out is the way to go.

Given the choice of a slight bend or drilling a hole through the slits, I'd try with the bend first. Good luck and keep us posted. Cheers.

It looks like a stone chip but it's not damaged the paint. If I need the whole lot spraying then I may as well wait as the rest of the bonnet isn't too bad. I was hoping we could just get access at the front where the thin little skits are where the bonnet starts to curve.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
JDM, were yours removed with suction cups or pushed out from under the hood?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah please let me know the method used so I can start asking around. 2 dent guys have both said the same thing and i'm running out of options here in little New Zealand. Just not sure i'd like a bend in the bonnet, I've notices a couple of holes already so may look more 'oem' with a small 4mm hole or so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool cheers - it's at the detail shop now for a cut and polish. If they can't access mine they are going o drill a 5mm access home and use a grommet to plug it up. i'll post up once done.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so even with the access hole they still couldn't access the dent. I'm just going to wait now until it needs a respray at some point. gutted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts