Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for an R8 but I’m stuck in a pickle. Would love to pick your brain if thats ok.

I see 2017s w/MSRP in 170s
I see 2018s RWS w/MSRP 145-150s

As of today depending on mileage you can get a 2017 or 2018 very similar in price. Question.. which will hold its value more in two years?

Let’s say you have a 2017 R8 125k vs 2018 R8 RWS 125k.. which one will depreciate less? Let’s say 2017 will have 20k miles vs 2018 RWS will have 12k miles.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Its an Audi, like all German cars unless is a rare production car, all will depreciate greatly. If you really are worried about depreciation do like me, won't sell my R8 forever it may be a collective in 100 years if there is gas around of course.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its an Audi, like all German cars unless is a rare production car, all will depreciate greatly. If you really are worried about depreciation do like me, won't sell my R8 forever it may be a collective in 100 years if there is gas around of course.
Do you consider the RWS a "rare production car"?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m in the market for an R8 but I’m stuck in a pickle. Would love to pick your brain if thats ok.

I see 2017s w/MSRP in 170s
I see 2018s RWS w/MSRP 145-150s

As of today depending on mileage you can get a 2017 or 2018 very similar in price. Question.. which will hold its value more in two years?

Let’s say you have a 2017 R8 125k vs 2018 R8 RWS 125k.. which one will depreciate less? Let’s say 2017 will have 20k miles vs 2018 RWS will have 12k miles.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!
[/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Spot on.

Basically, but as cheaply as you can for the spec and mileage you want. 2017/2018 makes no odds.

RWS is by no means depreciation resilient.

If anything, I think an RWS will be harder to sell on due to lower demand.

No, its just a marketing game from Audi to sell more cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spot on.

Basically, but as cheaply as you can for the spec and mileage you want. 2017/2018 makes no odds.

RWS is by no means depreciation resilient.

If anything, I think an RWS will be harder to sell on due to lower demand.
thank you! Is there a lower demand for RWS? I’ve been doing research and it looks like the RWS reviews are raving so I would’ve guessed they’re more in demand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is only my subjective opinion.

The only way to know for sure is to track how long RWS take to sell on average on the classifieds.

To my mind, the RWS is more niche and I’ve not seen evidence it demands any more of a premium.

thank you! Is there a lower demand for RWS? I’ve been doing research and it looks like the RWS reviews are raving so I would’ve guessed they’re more in demand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me the RWS doesn't make sense.
Audi's big win for me is all weather quattro capability and is well know for it (i.e. all S and RS are quattro), make it rwd and then you are competing with cars designed from scratch to be rwd and the market already has some highly regarded cars at this price point.
I bought my R8 because it is quattro as I use mine in all weather, didn't look at the RWS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
RWS = 911 S or GTS equivalent (no offense)
V10 or V10+ = Turbo or GT3 equivalent (again, no offense)

17 is the value. 18 gets the cool laser headlights, gloss interior bits, and possible warranty implications. Personally, I'd buy a RWS if I didn't live in the PNW for price/performance value.

Weigh price/mileage now by year as its a tight window and 18s are at a $15-25k premium. Both will still depreciate so, in the end, it is whatever your head can justify.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, go with ‘17 and just add BO pieces to it, that’s what I’m doing to mine. However, if you can snatch a good deal on an ‘18, go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went though the same situation. Ended up with a 18 RWS and never looked back.

I was looking hard at the 17+ for a little while but I didn’t like the wing and didn’t want to deal with any warranty that was near ending.

Per the comment above about the RWS being equal to a S or GTS I have to completely disagree. Having owned a 458, .1 gt3, 570s prior to my RWS, the RWS plays and hold its own just fine amongst that line up. No offense taken of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 17+ last summer, tracked prices for months and definitely saw a pattern where you pay 15k or more for an 18 w similar miles. I love the 17+ specifically so there was never a debate for me as to which to go with.

There are far fewer RWS so you won’t see them for sale as much - not sure that means they are valued more by buyers, particularly because there are significant differences - enough so that I think most R8 buyers are looking for the more “traditional” models.

Perhaps more importantly, I would recommend you buy what appeals to you and assume you will keep it or take a bath when you sell it - may work out differently but set your mind that way and no disappointments right? I know a guy who had a 2006 Ford GT - beautiful car - he owned it for multiple years and put less than 100 miles on it - was worried about depreciation and resale...he looked at it in the garage. He resold at a good price but did he enjoy it? I don’t know as he worried about every mile. (No judgment on reselling, I’m just more of an enthusiast type.)

I went for a 2 hr drive today - sun shining on green hills to my left and sparkling water below, braked hard going into a tight turn, powered out and let it FLY. Depreciation was not on my mind 😀

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me guys that buy cars and look at them don't get any real enjoyment out of it. If you think they will be worth a lot of money its more of a waste/pipe dream these cars are mass produced for the most part if you're looking to make big money buy property I promise you will make a bigger profit margin on your return.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's quite hard to turn down 60 more horsepower, carbon ceramics, AWD, and tons of additional carbon fiber; especially second-hand after first owner has eaten initial depreciation. RWS makes little sense to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's quite hard to turn down 60 more horsepower, carbon ceramics, AWD, and tons of additional carbon fiber; especially second-hand after first owner has eaten initial depreciation. RWS makes little sense to me.
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to stick to AWD after doing research and feedback from the forums. Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts