Audi R8 Forums banner

Determining if I'm buying the right Audi R8.

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  WinterRunner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, I'm kinda new to this forum, so Ill just cut to the chase. A few days ago, I was interested in the Audi R8 V8 2007 model, so I found an ad that caught my attention, because the car looked in great condition in the pictures and also because the price was slightly cheaper than the rest of the ads. So I drove all the way to the dealership to take a look at the car. One of the employees greeted me politely and showed me the car. The only part where it sounded slightly fishy is the part where he says the engine is a V10, but the road tax states there its a 4.2 litre. I even asked the other employees again to clarify what engine that audi is actually using, so I did some research online and found out that V10 models were only made in 2009 onwards(correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this). Hence, I am getting so suspicious of this dealer, but I really love the car though. I have a picture of that engine, so please take a look at it and tell me if its actually a V10 or a V8 with a V10 badge sticker. I also found out that this car is a recon, will there be some issues with the car if it is? I really need help with this situation I'm in. If you read this thank you for your time, I really appreciate it, and I would love if you would give me insights on this, Thank you again!

See less See more
#8 ·
Yes, it's definitely a V8. As others pointed out, someone just stuck the V10 badging in there.

The difficult part is determining whether the person you spoke to at the dealership is malicious (trying to pass off a V8 for a V10) or just simply ill-informed (e.g., read the engine badge and asserted these things based on what he saw). A passing conversation with a salesperson, especially one who's unfamiliar with the car, could potentially lead to the latter situation. However, I'd expect the truth to come out if you asked them to pull formal inventory paperwork and information on the car (such as the VIN), which should reveal the facts.

If the car is priced correctly for what it is, perhaps none of this matters. Clearly I'd run away if they're trying to truly pass it off (and price it) as a V10.

That said, I'd probably just avoid the car regardless. This rationale is based on my "rule of poor decisions" principle, which goes something like this: if you've made a substantially poor, and uncorrected, decision in the past, there's a higher probability of you making similar substantially poor and uncorrected decisions in the future. It's why I'm always cautious not to drive closely to someone driving a Subaru - the poor decision that led them to purchase that vehicle tells me more poor decisions (such as how they'll react on the road) are possibly on the way! In this case, someone who owned this car made the substantially poor decision of putting a V10 badge on a fantastic V8 engine. It begs the question... what other substantially poor decisions did they make while this car was in their possession. That badge says more about the previous owner than any paperwork could tell me. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be the next owner!

#9 ·
Thank you guys for the response, I really appreciate it. So, I called the salesman again to confirm about the engine of the car, and he did admit that the engine was in fact a V8 with a V10 badge on it. Besides that, I also asked him whether the car was used or a recon, and apparently it is a recon car that had 1 previous owner to it. Here are some pics on how the car looks, I also feel like the owner added some new kits to the car, but from my side it looks good. Let me know what you guys think about the car's condition.

Car Vehicle Trip computer Speedometer Motor vehicle

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle

#22 ·
To me, it's someone's idea of a 'show car', apart from the body mods there's the Gen 2 steering wheel, aftermarket entertainment unit and not so well tailored mats!
If all these were carried out to a professional standard with any additional trim and wiring mods to support that standard, then no problem, however, look at the gap on the front wheel arch liner to the modified front bumper moulding!
Just my thoughts.

#23 ·
There are other fish in the sea. Too many wannabe parts for me. When someone starts doing that stuff, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Don't fall for a pretty paintjob and some add-ons. A pig is a pig, no matter how much lipstick you put on it. Good Luck in your search.

Reactions: ezmaass
#24 ·
Looks super junky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.