Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So my shop who did the external mods on my car tried installing the CF sway bar but then stopped when they saw how intricate it was. They said something about the steering column and also something about having to do a wheel alignment after.

For anyone who has installed it on their gen 2, what were your experiences like? If you had a shop do it then how many hours did it take??

My friend at Audi said they can do it since it's an OEM part but wondering how many hours is the install for labor cost.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is a laborious process. One has to remove struts, front final drive (I think someone said, you do not need that, but the shop manual says "remove it",) and steering column (I thought one can get away with not touching the steering column. I was wrong. You have to move it out of the way.) A lot of hours of work.

Interestingly enough, removing all that is not the hardest part. What seems to be the simplest thing; putting on the new rubber bushings, is a pain... Maybe that is expected if you are putting them on the first time. Regardless, my God, why is it so hard to compress the clamps when you screw the bolts in? :)

Any professional advice?

Edit: grammar...

·
Registered
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. I just picked up my sway bar to bring to Audi. I know the exact rubber bushings you’re talking about. I’m not great at this mechanical stuff so I can’t tell you. I’m good with electronics though. But my profession is financial planning so I could take a dollar and making it into 3 dollars lol. But if I had to install this thing with all the steps then my God, it would take me over a week lol. I will ask the tech who works in my car though why it’s so hard to compress the clamps. They must have a tool or a vice or something. I saw the manual to install and remove the OEM sway bar. It doesn’t look like a lot of steps when reading but it really is.

Hats off to you for getting it done!!! I wouldn’t have been able to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn’t install yet. Waiting for my appt with Audi next Friday. But from the ppl I talked to that installed it def makes a difference. It’s thick as hell (that’s what she said). And the red control arm mounts are sturdy.
I’ve upgraded sway bars on all my cars almost and that’s one mod you always feel a difference after install.
So I can imagine this is just as good or even better since this bar is double the thickness of regular ones.

but not an easy install like on the other cars. You have to unhook some stuff before you get there like the front diff. Lower it on a Jack stand so you can take out the old one. And the rubber bushings it comes with have to be compressed to install and I hear are a bitch to do. That’s why I’m not doing it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts