Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked it up today and drove the 50ish miles back home - sadly through all manner or roadworks and rain so it's looking a bit unloved right now, but will wash it tomorrow pending ventureshield protective film being applied on friday.

Car feels and sounds great, only thing that is a bit weird is the r-tronics auto-neutral when stationery for a few seconds and (seemingly) needing to dab the brake pedal and either pull the paddle or nudge the shifter to re-engage first.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Picked it up today and drove the 50ish miles back home - sadly through all manner or roadworks and rain so it's looking a bit unloved right now, but will wash it tomorrow pending ventureshield protective film being applied on friday.

Car feels and sounds great, only thing that is a bit weird is the r-tronics auto-neutral when stationery for a few seconds and (seemingly) needing to dab the brake pedal and either pull the paddle or nudge the shifter to re-engage first.
Congratulations and enjoy your new R8! I too felt that the R-Tronic going into neutral was a little disconcerting at first, and called the R8 Advocate to discuss. Audi says this is to prevent the clutch from burning up. I am beginning to reprogram my brain to always look at the dash display to make
sure it is in gear before i try to go from a stop. I love the R-Tronic and am
so glad I made the right decision. I had the good fortune of driving several R8's in Las Vegas with both transmissions. But, there was so much going on
there with instruction, the track, and being a little overwhelmed by the whole wonderful experience. I will order another R-Tronic again.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The bmw m6 I had with smg gerarbox before it had no problem with operating without requiring a manual nudge back into first so it sounds like something audi could get around codewise if they so chose. I'm sure it's just one of those things that'll become second nature.

It only triggers if the brake pedal isn't being depressed which explains why I never experienced it on the original test drive - was only today in long roadworks that I experienced it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congratulations Randombloke, the car looks stunning even when dirty :cool:

Noticed you have specced alcantara on the seats as I have. What was the feed back from the dealer re the door insert coverings, or are you happy with the non alcantara material ?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd have preferred alcantara on the doors to pull it all together, but it's not something I'll lose sleep over. The alcantara seats and headliner work well together though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Beautiful car.

That is the grey alcantara, right? Or is it black alcantara that look like that on the pictures because of the light?

Thanks!

R

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it'is black but the lighting makes it look grey as you suggested

·
Registered
311 Posts
only thing that is a bit weird is the r-tronics auto-neutral when stationery for a few seconds and (seemingly) needing to dab the brake pedal and either pull the paddle or nudge the shifter to re-engage first.
I don't take my foot off the brake when stationary and the gearbox does not slip into neutral. The clutch must be disenged otherwise the car would move forward?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice looking car Randombloke, I like the colour combo!!
Had the same problems with the gearbox as yourself too - Always fun when you're in traffic surrounded by onlookers and you press the throttle and just get a load of revs but no forward motion!!! Sounds good anyway!!
Hope you're enjoying her.
Cheers.
Paul.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dare say I'll be doing exactly the same thing in full glare too Paul :)

Had my first proper drive today since picking it up on Wednesday and wating until the ventureshield paint protection film had been fitted which took most of yesterday for them to do.

After coming from an m6, the most obvious thing that hit me was that the r8 feels fast at lower speeds than the m6 did which has got to be a good thing for my license.

The r-tronic shifting isn't quite as fast as I remember from the test drive, but feels smooth and it's always nice to do a double pull to drop down a couple of cogs in one go.

The handling is so sweet, the phrase "feels like it's on rails" gets banded about alot, but this really does at normal fast road speeds. That mix of noise, r-tronic and handling is intoxicating.

The m6 was a great grand tourer with serious straight line poke, the r8 is a fantastic sports car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Totally agree!

Glad you're enjoying her!!

It really is a great package with the R-Tronic - took me a while to get used to it, but it's definately worth persevering with. Guess you had a headstart coming from an M6 though!!

It's also the first car I've never actually felt like I HAVE to drive fast in, as it is as much fun at 5/10ths as it is at 10/10ths!!!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got chance to take a couple of shots after washing it today before the camera battery died.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Beautiful..!!! I wonder if I chose the wrong colour.. Obviously I'd have to see her in the flesh - but very nice. Classy and still agressive!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There isn't a color I don't like the r8 in so far - I even really like ti-mikes green r8 and the reds with carbon look stunning for someone elses car :)

re aggressive, maybe - I've never had a car where so many people pull over to the side or indicate to let me past even though I'm not tailgating.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It does look stunning indeed, especially clean! This is my first choice of color, but I (too?) have a long gravel drive to my garage and a dark car is never clean once it's been to my house! So, I waver over one of the light colors for sake of looking cleaner.

This may sound like a silly question, but are your blades exactly the same color as the body? In the pictures there's a suggestion of a slightly different shade. Must just be the way the light reflects.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The blades are a darker blue (night blue) - hard to tell in those pics though.

I hear what you're saying about the drive, although it's not too bad here unless it's really dry and dusty. The main problem facing me is that to get into civilisation I have to pass through two sections of road that sit in the middle of farms so I get mud when it's wet and dust when it'd dry from those too. I just didn't want another silver car this time and fancied something with a bit of colour so I've resigned myself to having to clean this car more often.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Your color combo is different! and Excellent!! Would you be so kind as to post a pic of the interior showing right hand drive system for us to see on this side of 'da pond ??:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
sure, here you go.

the mugello/night blue is/was a standard audi colour combo option in the uk and not an exclusive combo. when I was last at the dealer they had a used mugello with oxygen silver blade outside. I was tempted to change out my blades for those but on balance thought it was a little too flashy for me personally. In the flesh, my favourite combos are red with carbon blades and silver with carbon blades - if I hadn't come from a silver m6 I'd have specced silver/carbon for the r8.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts