Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what im thinking to be honest, that's why i was wondering if anyone else has used them

·
Registered
581 Posts
Non-plus? 130 crank is possible. That's like 90ish whp. Still sounds a little inflated though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes for the non plus, i emailed them to see if they have any supporting graphs for their claims. they have a lot of mclaren videos etc but no R8s

·
Registered
703 Posts
The price is also over inflated, typical R8 tax

Agreed!!! Never understood this idiotic thievery practice, a floor matt for a A4 is like $100 and for my V10 plus is close to $600, did they use gold to sprinkle the floor mats of the R8?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I prefer aftermarket made from the skin of Ethiopian children kinda hits the sweet spot at 400 Ish jk

Sometime I wonder why they just overprice the small stuff. I never got the OEM mats with my car. The previous owner put in some rubber hexagonal ones. Couldn't find a OEM set to replace them so had a set made. The ebay ones were so cheap I ended up getting r8 stuff to make me up another pair.

Now on the tuning side I've seen a lot of posts of turbo or supercharged engines getting a bump from DME. I haven't seen anyone getting a tune for a r8. I'd be interested to see what the difference is on a dyno.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The price is also over inflated, typical R8 tax

Agreed!!! Never understood this idiotic thievery practice, a floor matt for a A4 is like $100 and for my V10 plus is close to $600, did they use gold to sprinkle the floor mats of the R8?
Its actually crazy. I personally feel like its a false economy for them. If it were £700 every R8 owner and their brother would have it, at $2500 they'll sell to around 1% of owners if that. Its actually madness. A freind of mine sells knitting supplies, she earns virtually nothing from each sale but because she supplies so many she's worth a fortune and i mean an absolute fortune, id like to see these tuners top her wallet i really would. Another example is a car dealer i know very well, he makes a tiny profit off each car sale, like so little its painful to hear, however he sells between 50-100 cars a month, he owns a huge yacht now days and doesnt lift a finger at the age of 34. Its not always about top profit its about quantity

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not to be the Devils advocate here, but sometimes low production, in any capacity, is expensive. They have to have a very expensive and elaborate mold cut for the floor mats for example. They will not be selling tens of thousands of them, like on an A4 (where they can recoup the mold costs) and thus charge more for the super low volume R8 ones. It’s economics unfortunately, and most aren’t running non-profits. For what it’s worth, I paid less money from my R8 exhausts, than my RS4.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not to be the Devils advocate here, but sometimes low production, in any capacity, is expensive. They have to have a very expensive and elaborate mold cut for the floor mats for example. They will not be selling tens of thousands of them, like on an A4 (where they can recoup the mold costs) and thus charge more for the super low volume R8 ones. It’s economics unfortunately, and most aren’t running non-profits. For what it’s worth, I paid less money from my R8 exhausts, than my RS4.
Absolutely agree there however with a tune its not the same thing as the time taken to tune is the same or there abouts as any other car. But do agree for some products etc

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was partially referring to the floor mat comment, and I also somewhat agree with you. I will say that I’d happily pay ~1,500$ to have a safe, effective, reliable tune that does not blow up my $40,000 v10 engine. A $500 Honda B18 tune that grenades is replaceable for what? 5-6 grand maybe tops, for like a built type R? Everything is relative guys...

·
Supporting Vendor
421 Posts
Absolutely agree there however with a tune its not the same thing as the time taken to tune is the same or there about as any other car. But do agree for some products etc

We would actually like to politely disagree, as there are MANY variables
that go into our pricing exercise for these types of applications, beyond
just the amount of time each vehicle spends in development.

The biggest factor will always be the projected sales volume, divided by
the overall development costs. Also worth taking into consideration is
the significantly higher risk absorbed by the manufacturer to responsibly
put these more expensive vehicles through the paces of development,
from acquiring the test vehicle(s), to the running costs associated with
putting these cars on the dyno, on road/track testing, and the longer
term validation processes required to provide such a reliable product.

A good example is the current model BMW M4 vs. the current model Audi R8.
We will sell 8 to 10 x's the number of software units for the BMW than we will
for the Audi, yet the retail cost for the R8 is still less than 2.5 x's that of the
M4.

The tools and equipment for proper testing and validation on the BMW are also
much more readily available and significantly less expensive, not to mention the
costs associated with acquiring, maintaining & protecting said vehicle(s) through
weeks/months of development time is notably less as well.

Even with the aforementioned higher retail price for the Audi software ($1,995 vs.
$795), the BMW program is significantly more profitable - by a great margin -
while also requiring far less back end support and customer service.

·
Supporting Vendor
421 Posts
But what do you think about these numbers? Is there anyway they’ve safely achieved that output?

It's actually a company policy to not speak on behalf of other brands...
and we almost didn't reply within this thread as it was was originally
titled for another brand of software.

We ultimately felt that the explanation above was warranted (and also
beneficial
) for any company who is devoting time, effort, and resources
to this platform.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In my experience designing and making carbon fibre parts for the F1 devision there isnt a 1000% price hike in parts for a fiesta compared to an R8 regardless of the economics behind number of parts being sold depending on model, that said these figures are also taken from previous sales in most cases that were also fudged in a sense due to already being overpriced and potential buyers being put off for the exact reason most have stated above so i cant take those number as gospel as overall sales numbers for previous tunes etc etc would be far greater if the price wasnt so vast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts