Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got the ECU uprade from DMS. They claimed an extra 19kw and 31Nm for ONLY AU$3590. (I know, it's insane) Anyway, I decided to go ahead expecting the results above, however, I don't think it made much difference if any.

I posted my times PRE upgrade last week.

80 to 140 km/h in 4th gear = 5.4-5.8secs (3 Passes)

After DMS Upgrade

80 to 140 km/h in 4th gear = 5.5-5.8secs (3 Passes)

Same conditions, only difference was Air Temp slightly higher at 26 degrees celcius.

To be honest, it doesn't feel any different and the times don't show any improvement...

DMS don't have any Dyno Chart to show improvement either, so I'm a little dissapointed. Stay clear of DMS for R8. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all. Sounds like you didn't get anything for your money, so I wonder if the remap didn't 'take'?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can you get a refund??? 3.5 grand and nothing back!!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Be a shame if you laid out that kind of money for no improvement AND voided your warranty in the bargain! How squeamish is Audi about "chip mods"? I know some guys on the Volvo "R" forum who keep their stock chips to swap back in when their car is going in for service! But I have heard that Volvo is absolute DEATH on chip mods and "flags" your car on the computer system for no warranty coverage on any engine/driveline issues. What is Audi's approach on this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry to say but most of the performance change by chipping a NA highly strung motor like the R8's is simply increasing the response of the e-throttle making the car "feel" quicker, when it actually isn't!

·
Registered
782 Posts
What did you measure with 80 to 140 in 6th gear?

And 100 to 140 in 6th gear?

I'll compare it to my figures!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have had DMS upgrade my ecu on the RS4 V8 and it made a noticeable difference, not massive but noticeable. Bit strange it did not on the V8 R8....they have upgraded my ecu on the R8 V10.......wow......!

·
Registered
366 Posts
When you look into the ECU and see your throttle travel is restricted I'd say "tuning" improves a NA car! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
i don't believe chip on NA cars.
The R8 V10 actually makes nice gains with a chip, but it's not the norm to see this. You are right however, any NA cars do not gain much power from chipping. With some tuners however you do get better throttle response, some refinement and a little power bump, just depends on the car.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
The R8 V10 is purposefully de-tuned from the factory, so it doesn't compete head to head with Lambo, and so that they can do a not-detuned version called GT.

So in the case of the V10 the gains are said to be substantial.

OP, Demand a refund and try APR.

Am I wrong to believe that turbo cars are the only cars that should be considered to being "chipped" modified?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts