Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a few questions about the new performance r8. I've seen a few people on here say it doesn't sound as good as the 17 even with after market exhaust for the US versions?
2. Does it even crackle as much as a 17 did with after market exhaust like Quicksilver?
3. Does it rev as high as the old car in neutral or parked
4. Anyone done a tune to fix it? If it does at all.
Sucks if this is true because **** I love the new look especially with it all lowered but if the sound doesn't sound as good than thats a turn off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The new 2020 doesnt sound anywhere near as good as the 16-18 models, it has no exhaust button either which makes things worse, the ability to rev in Neutral is gone and is governed at 3500rpm. To add insult to injury testing has shown its also significantly slower than the prefacelift V10+ models. The new look is also extremely marmite for most, if you are set on the facelift looks however it may be worth buying a pre facelift and fitting facelift bumpers and skirts for an all round package to suit you

·
Registered
58 Posts
The above is bs.
It has the exhaust button and the aftermarket exhausts sound just as good. All depends on the exhaust chosen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new 2020 doesnt sound anywhere near as good as the 16-18 models, it has no exhaust button either which makes things worse, the ability to rev in Neutral is gone and is governed at 3500rpm. To add insult to injury testing has shown its also significantly slower than the prefacelift V10+ models. The new look is also extremely marmite for most, if you are set on the facelift looks however it may be worth buying a pre facelift and fitting facelift bumpers and skirts for an all round package to suit you
is this for the US versions as well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The above is bs.
It has the exhaust button and the aftermarket exhausts sound just as good. All depends on the exhaust chosen.
It doesn't sound this good anymore huh with after market exhaust? Because this crackles like crazy. Haven't seen a 2020 do that

·
Registered
192 Posts
The above is bs.
Not in the UK, zero exhaust button and the exhaust has OPF and even with an aftermarket isnt half as loud as a pre 2029 with comparable exhaust, maybe the US is different

·
Registered
192 Posts
It doesn't sound this good anymore huh with after market exhaust? Because this crackles like crazy. Haven't seen a 2020 do that
Agreed, they dont sound the same on a facelift with comparable exhausts, im sure non have an exhaust button either but that may just be the EU models

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus Coupe (Suzuka Grey)
18 Posts
Not in the UK, zero exhaust button and the exhaust has OPF and even with an aftermarket isnt half as loud as a pre 2029 with comparable exhaust, maybe the US is different
North American models got the old engine from '16-18, so 602 hp with the valved exhaust without OPF. The only question would be whether the 2020 MY got the updated ECU with the more conservative exhaust programming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
North American models got the old engine from '16-18, so 602 hp with the valved exhaust without OPF. The only question would be whether the 2020 MY got the updated ECU with the more conservative exhaust programming.
this is what I was thinking. That it might've been turned down a bit. Guessing the oh way to get it back is to get it tuned? I miss the crackles on everything downsft, rev, and when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A VF or Hex Tune to get them back?

this is what I was thinking. That it might've been turned down a bit. Guessing the oh way to get it back is to get it tuned? I miss the crackles on everything downsft, rev, and when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is very true, the looks are allso suspect as to seeing Audi use many Rs7 looking parts for the facelift , not good,

·
Registered
121 Posts
there’s a video with the Audi product manager (Anthony Garbis) and he stated that they retained the 17-18 engine configuration so I’m assuming the whole thing. Guess as the product manager he had input on whether they would use the opf version of the powertrain and not and he retained the older one because the sound, etc. lemme try to find it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Same engine but after 2017 (at least in the US) they switched to a different particulate filter and flashed the ECU on all 2018's to reduce the exhaust overrun (pops, cracks, bangs). If you are fortunate (like me) and have a 2017 and don't let the dealer upgrade the ECU, you get a "louder" exhaust with more overrun. If you got the update or own a 2018 or on, the only way to get more overrun is to do an ECU tune from one of the aftermarket ECU tuners out there. 2018's sat in port here in the US for the better part of a year and part of the "fix" so they could pass EPA was flashing the ECU's as well as fixing the windows sticker to say 602HP instead of 610HP which the car never had in the first place. If anyone has different information, please share.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Was that with Jay Lenos Garage?

there’s a video with the Audi product manager (Anthony Garbis) and he stated that they retained the 17-18 engine configuration so I’m assuming the whole thing. Guess as the product manager he had input on whether they would use the opf version of the powertrain and not and he retained the older one because the sound, etc. lemme try to find it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Was that with Jay Lenos Garage?
I thought it was then I remember he was actually in the car driving if I’m not mistaken. And he was in the facelift one too. But he specifically talked about that selection. It’s gonna drive me nuts trying to find that video now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same engine but after 2017 (at least in the US) they switched to a different particulate filter and flashed the ECU on all 2018's to reduce the exhaust overrun (pops, cracks, bangs). If you are fortunate (like me) and have a 2017 and don't let the dealer upgrade the ECU, you get a "louder" exhaust with more overrun. If you got the update or own a 2018 or on, the only way to get more overrun is to do an ECU tune from one of the aftermarket ECU tuners out there. 2018's sat in port here in the US for the better part of a year and part of the "fix" so they could pass EPA was flashing the ECU's as well as fixing the windows sticker to say 602HP instead of 610HP which the car never had in the first place. If anyone has different information, please share.
I did find that odd how the power dropped I thought that was from them using the “accurate” measurement or something like that. Makes me glad that I have a 2017.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did find that odd how the power dropped I thought that was from them using the “accurate” measurement or something like that. Makes me glad that I have a 2017.
The power didn't actually change, they just fixed their conversion math for the US in terms of HP.

Reactions: erricvplus

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus Coupe (Suzuka Grey)
18 Posts
I wonder if there are any examples online showcasing the differences between a '17 and '18? Certainly from all the videos I've watched the crackles sounded 'similar', but it's not like I compared them side-by-side.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wonder if there are any examples online showcasing the differences between a '17 and '18? Certainly from all the videos I've watched the crackles sounded 'similar', but it's not like I compared them side-by-side.
It would have to be a 17 that hasn't had the ECU update too. There was a thread a while back where guys were bringing their 17's in for service and ECU's got updated. Afterword they noticed a big difference in sound and complained to the dealers but once it's flashed there is no going back. I have a note with my dealer that says not to touch the ECU.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts