Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 V10 Stasis Exhaust, BC Racing Coilovers, Maxton Design Front Splitter, Chalk Grey Wrap
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing a new set of coilovers and dropping ride height by half an inch on all 4 corners I should do a proper wheel alignment. I called one shop and they said yes just make sure it has a full tank of gas when you bring it in. I called another shop to check pricing and they said absolutely do not bring that car anywhere for an alignment other than the Audi Dealer. He said he has some of the best equipment compared to most and the dealer's is probably $20G's higher end than theirs so don't listen to anyone if they say they can do it if they aren't the dealer. He also said that the steering needs to be laser straight on an R8. After reading through the forum it seems as some people take them into trusted indy shops and that it's no different than any other car other than removing a lot of screws and some plastic. No one has said whether or not this is a must. Looking for some advice.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? If it comes down to it I'd rather just have it done right so I won't cheap out if it's the right thing to do, just prefer spending extra coin on parts & mods and not in a dealer's pocket unless necessary.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
What equipment does an Audi dealer have that no Indy shop could purchase? Sounds odd to me. I take my R8 to a respected indy for things like tire install and alignment. No issues at all. I dunno.

·
Registered
2011 V10 Stasis Exhaust, BC Racing Coilovers, Maxton Design Front Splitter, Chalk Grey Wrap
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What equipment does an Audi dealer have that no Indy shop could purchase? Sounds odd to me. I take my R8 to a respected indy for things like tire install and alignment. No issues at all. I dunno.
That’s originally what I thought as well. I’m just being told differently so now I’m wondering if most Indy shops equipment isn’t as precise as the dealer due to their cost of having to buy it. Maybe most cars don’t need the same caliber of alignment equipment so doesn’t make sense for Indy shops to have it?

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
526 Posts
How unusual. The Audi dealer told me only they had the equipment to change the oil. 🤣

Reactions: Pipes Mahoney

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any real alignment place will have the ability to do it. All you need is the system and the specs. Even if the car isn’t in there system they can still do it.

I’m in Cincinnati Ohio and Performance Alignment is who does all race car and personal car setups.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How unusual. The Audi dealer told me only they had the equipment to change the oil. 🤣
😂😂😂 Dear lord! I hope they can do more than that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can go to any reputable shop that does alignments, dealer or Indy shop. Dealer wants your money!
Are you 100% sure? The Indy shop was the one saying to go to a dealer. Normally a shop would want the business especially from an R8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, no.

I'd recommend finding a performance shop that does alignments/suspension.
Thanks. Ya I’m leaning towards a solid performance shop. The dealer quoted me $672 plus tax Canadian. That’s not even reasonable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You should make sure that the car will clear the ramp onto the alignment machine first. The guy I take all my other cars to for alignments did not want to chance the car not being able to get onto the ramp. I appreciate his honesty. I took it to a Audi Indy shop..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should make sure that the car will clear the ramp onto the alignment machine first. The guy I take all my other cars to for alignments did not want to chance the car not being able to get onto the ramp. I appreciate his honesty. I took it to a Audi Indy shop..
How much did you lower your car? I do have a front splitter and lowered it about a half inch so it’s sitting quite low in the front. I would think they would be able to just put some wood under the tires to get it in the ramp though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As said above, I would rather take my car to a trusted indy that does only alignments all day. They will do a much better job than the flunkies from the dealership that may do one R8 a year.

Reactions: Pipes Mahoney

·
Registered
2007 V8 M/T Carbon Wingback
15 Posts
My shop (specialized in Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren) also recommended me to bring the car to the Audi dealer for wheel alignments as he also told me it’s ‘special’ and will also take ‘more time than any other car’. However, instead of the pricing as mentioned above, my Audi dealer charge about $325 (little less than 2 hours I thought).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Are you 100% sure? The Indy shop was the one saying to go to a dealer. Normally a shop would want the business especially from an R8
If that indy shop tells you to go to a dealer, just means they can't do it. Just take it elsewhere to a performance shop which deals in alignments. It's not rocket science, but it does take a good amount of adjustment to get the specs just right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My shop (specialized in Ferrari/Lamborghini/McLaren) also recommended me to bring the car to the Audi dealer for wheel alignments as he also told me it’s ‘special’ and will also take ‘more time than any other car’. However, instead of the pricing as mentioned above, my Audi dealer charge about $325 (little less than 2 hours I thought).
It's funny that the dealers vary so much with their quotes and timelines. The Audi here said it would take 4 hours.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If that indy shop tells you to go to a dealer, just means they can't do it. Just take it elsewhere to a performance shop which deals in alignments. It's not rocket science, but it does take a good amount of adjustment to get the specs just right.
Some small shops may not want to take on the liability of one of their guys damaging your expensive car so will say no. Exotic car owners are also thought to be douche bags by some and may be worried we will freak out if their is an oil mark on our car.

·
Banned
21 Posts
As said above, I would rather take my car to a trusted indy that does only alignments all day. They will do a much better job than the flunkies from the dealership that may do one R8 a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts