Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Now I'm 3 weeks into ownership, with the R8 following on from 22 months and 80,000 miles of my fantastic RS4 (B7).

There is undoubtedly something very special about the R8, and even though it shares essentially the same engine, the two cars could not be more dissimilar.

The RS4 behaved perfectly, was a joy to drive and you always knew where the limit was, how it was going to behave, and I felt thoroughly comfortable with it at all times.

The R8 is quite difficult, and I have to admit saying to Audi that I expected the car to fall apart more often, because it was 'hand built' - and maybe this is becoming true?

Let's satrt with the engine - mine is not as strong at the bottom end as the RS4 - maybe it,s the mapping, maybe it's because it's only done 5,000 miles, but in my opinion its doesn't have that low end grunt of the RS4 - do you experience this?

Handling - yes it's more go-kart like, it turns in quicker, but the suspension is 'choppy'. I can't put my finger on it yet, but it seems to be a rear end issue, particularly over bump roads. With Magnetic suspension off, its relitavely soft, yet still has the habit of un-nerving the vehicle at the rear end. With it on, it's still not as stiff as the RS, (that had the Audi Sports Suspension), but it remains more uncomfortable than the RS and the pitching moment is quite pronounced. - Any one else notice this?

When you turn a tight circle on almost full lock, driving very slowly in first, do your front tyres feel as though they are not pointing in the same direction - as if the steering toe-in is completely out - yet the car drives perfectly in normal driving (up to 160mph - my limit so far). The RS4 never experienced anything like this. Thoughts?

Gremlins such as one day in about -4 deg C the car remote would not open the vehicle - yet both vehicle and remote had power, so it needed the key turning in the door. Oh and the bonnet (trunk) doesn't always pop open on all catches when I use the remote.

Now I might sound as though I dislike the car - nothing could be more from the truth - I love it, it's always amazing to take places and it's my day-to-day car.

I do about 45,000-50,000 miles per annum, so will probably expereince more issues than most owners - but am I the only one to experience these seemingly basic flaws?

Jon P

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hmm... Some members here will not like your opinion at all...

On the other hand I agree with you on most remarks.

Steering wheel issue is well known thing-it is AWD system(it is agricultural...) from Gallardo(it also suffers from same feeling). You can live with it or not.

Handling and suspension... Here I agree. Car feels nervous at the back near the limit(specially in ESP off mode or ESP Sport mode). Is it lack of agressive LSD(40% lock) that Gallardo use or something else...? I do not have the answer yet. Magnetic Ride indeed feels little bit too soft in initial setting. I tried R8 with standard suspension and it feels somehow more right on normal roads then Magnetic Ride option. My advice to you it that you try to test drive R8 with standad suspension to feel the difference for yourself...

Engine use different intake system and is indeed tuned for more upper end grunt then the one in RS4. Your feeling here is correct one. Specially since gears are overall shorter in R8...

YES. RS4 is more forgiving car to drive then R8.

So, after jampoTT you are the second member here who finds out that our "Worship cow" features some flaws as well... Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I didn't drive the RS4 for very long so it would be difficult for me to compare. As I have mentioned before I think it does need more low rev grunt. The low speed full lock issue is a bit disconcerting but as Kreso mentioned it is probably due to the 4wheel drive system.

I only drive the car with the ESP off if I am on a track.

See you Sunday?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys - great feedback...

The steering lock thing is odd - the RS4 is 4WD, and doesn't do it anywhere near this extent - it does ti slightly, and I know the tyres on the R8 are slightly wider, but it really does feel agricultural.

You are right, we do need more low end grunt, but it would be really interesting to look at the mapping curves to see what they have tried to achieve - the RS is jusr soooo strong at the bottom, it makes it so drivable.

Finally, yes will be there on Sunday - what time are you arriving? I hope the weather holds

Regards J

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wonder if it has a greater lock but I suspect it is as you suggest the width of the front tyres.

Should be there by midday - snow permitting :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with most of what you've picked up on, but are they flaws, or merely "character"!!!???

I haven't noticed an overly choppy ride or any pitching in mine either, but then I tend to hit the MR button when I am driving anywhere other than on a motorway/dual carriageway, and I really can't fault it for it's control on A/B roads.

Regretfully, I haven't had the chance to drive and RS4, and therefore can't comment on comparison, but I can say that mine is substantially quicker throughout it's rev range than my previous car, a 997 CS. (mental note - really must try to blag a ride in an RS4 to see if I'm missing out here!!!)

Agree on the steering issue, but I put it down to the car having more rwd bias and almost "pushing" the fronts when on full lock - it is disconcerting.

As for build quality, I have to say that it's no better or worse put together than a Mk2 TT I briefly owned last year - Don't know if thats a good or a bad thing!!??

All in all though, it's still one hell of a car and I'd be happy to recommend one to anyone ahead of an awful lot of other "exotica".

Cheers.

Paul.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Guys - great feedback...

The steering lock thing is odd - the RS4 is 4WD, and doesn't do it anywhere near this extent - it does ti slightly, and I know the tyres on the R8 are slightly wider, but it really does feel agricultural.

You are right, we do need more low end grunt, but it would be really interesting to look at the mapping curves to see what they have tried to achieve - the RS is jusr soooo strong at the bottom, it makes it so drivable.

Finally, yes will be there on Sunday - what time are you arriving? I hope the weather holds

Regards J
It is not the tires since RS4 fronts are 255/35-19 as are the rears. R8 fronts are 235/35-19... It is visco AWD system... I can live with it but, some people do not. I know one F430 owner who said to me that feeling is horrible in his opinion. I do not agree fully with him. It is agricultural IMHO as you also agreed.

Wait when you get 997 GT2... Boy, what a car!

·
Registered
935 Posts
OK, my thoughts below:

1. Yes, the engine does lack low-midrange torque.
2. Yes, my dashboard has developed a small noise.
3. Yes, the front wheels push a little on full lock. That's normal for an AWD. I can live with it.
4. Handling for me is awesome. Coming from a tail happy M3, this thing is on rails. I've also been drifting it on a skidpan lately. It's awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jon

You are right re: rear end on mine was the same very choppy and too soft with mag ride off.

I took the car back to Audi regarding a knocking noise coming from the rear.

Turned out to be the shocks which where replace, the rear end is now more firm and the car is not so choppy (mag ride off).

one of the shocks had a very slight leak !

Hope this helps

Jamal

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I called Audi USA about the low speed "chatter" that I noticed when at or close to full steering lock. I only noticed this when the car/tires are cold. They told me that, although disconcerting, this is "normal behavior" and is due to "asymmetry" in the steering which is "optimized for high speed cornering". It was also stated that it is due to tire scrubbing even though I thought it was something funny happening in the differential; that's apparently why it is more noticeable when the tires are cold.

Anyway ...that's what they said :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Confusion on mag ride.............

I do not believe you cannot turn it off. There are two settings. Standard and firm. The switch simply alternates between the two.

(I am overseas and cannot check my manual)

I experienced the (front) bonnet not opening the other day. Left wheels were on the pavement, right ones on the road. One latch would not open.

I moved forward a few feet onto level ground and it opened fine.

I repeated this deliberately and the same thing happened. There is some flexing of the chassis, which puts tension on the latches and can prevent them unlocking.

Never experienced a choppy ride. All been A OK on that front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes your right you cannot switch it off I meant switching sports sp on Firm or soft.

Mag ride is always working.

Jamal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts