Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chicago and we are seeing some truly pretty incredible increases in gun violence this summer. Chicago has always been one of the worst places for shooting with average 2 shooting murders a day from guns and 10 people shot per day. But, these numbers are skyrocketing this summer. Most days, I think we are at least double those average numbers and lots of days are much much higher. Yesterday there were 15 people gunned down in broad daylight at a funeral (bad neighborhood), but also 3 people killed about 4 blocks from my place (good neighborhood). A few weekends ago they shot 110 people over 2 days.

The thing that concerns me is that the violence is now getting into the good neighborhoods and the police appear to not at all be interested in getting involved. I have a few friends who are cops and what they seem to say is that now when there is a shooting call, they basically just take their time getting there so they don't have to deal with the situation. The bottom line is the violence is increasing significantly and I think driving an R8 makes me more of a target.

I have 3 questions:

1) Do you worry about being a target while driving an R8?

2) Do you carry a gun in your car?

3) If so, where have you found the best place to carry it? The door pocket works well, but is a left handed draw. I'm considering getting one of the under dashboard mounted magnet systems, but I don't want to drill into the panels.

I'm sure our Canadian and British friends think this sounds crazy as you guys don't deal with the gun problems that we have in America. However, its a fact of life in big cities in the USA that there is a gun violence epidemic.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keep it where you can get to it the quickest when in your car. I carry mine in an ankle holster or the side door pocket. You can also keep it in a soft holster between your seat and the console. It will be a tight fit but right there if you need it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Always even mow my yard with my pistol on my side ! I have one of these Vulcan arms mounts in every car I own they have them in screw mount or 3m I use the 3m in the R8 so I didn’t have to drill holes in it never had any problems . Some might think I’m odd, or overly protective but seeing things I’ve seen through my life and where I’ve been I trust no one and also growing up in the most southern point in Virginia it’s just the way we are all raised

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Move out of Chicago first and foremost.

Reactions: reiner and badintel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply's. I think the Vulcan holster near the right knee is really the safest solution. The only issue I see with it is that when I park the car, I will have to move the gun someplace else and then a keen eyed perp could see that I have a holster there and then may be more likely to break a window looking for the gun.

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.....

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
How about industrial strength self adhesive velcro on the back of the holster then attach it somewhere close to hand and easy to remove when you leave the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe it is very important to obtain your respective state's "concealed carry permit" and practice with your weapon.
The permit will provide you added protecition "everywhere you go" and also establish you as a vetted citizen, should you be stopped for a traffic incident. ALWAYS know your state's carry laws and strictly abide by them! Hope you never have to defend yourself or others!

·
Registered
541 Posts
i keep a super soaker inside my r8 just in case a see a chick that's suffering from heat exhaustion...its summer time you know:). LOL i'm a gun fanatic as well...so maybe i'm packing or maybe i'm not:).

Reactions: reiner and X-UFO

·
Registered
158 Posts
Currently not but with the way society has become, I’m definitely thinking about it🙌

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
The fact that Chicago has such terrible crime is a reflection on its leadership. This one, like several other cities, has only been getting worse over the years, not better. And ingeniously, the citizens of these places continue to double down on the same strategies instead of trying something new. Look, I'm not trying to get political here, but if these cities were businesses, they'd be OUT of business at this point. You can't continue to run something into the ground and survive when you're a company - but our municipalities have gotten away with this because their revenue is essentially guaranteed through taxation, not competition and performance. Hence, they can maintain power, point fingers elsewhere, and just continue down a path of deterioration.

The last time I was in Chicago, pre-COVID, I was there for a convention. My hotel, a Marriott that was charging me (my company) $900/night, had homeless people sitting in the lobby - the guy sitting next to me on the couch (as I waited for my room to be ready) was drinking booz from a Johnson's Baby Powder container with a cartload of plastic bags full of Lord-knows-what in them. As a few colleagues and I went out to dinner that night, only a few blocks' walk from the hotel, one of them was accosted by a random guy on the street. To put it bluntly, the city is a flaming dumpster fire. If I can help it, I won't be returning there any time soon.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment, but the solution isn't a gun. God help you if you EVER used it. Maybe you'd be OK in a place like Florida with "stand your ground" laws, but you'd probably end up in jail, regardless if you were "right," in a place like Chicago. People need to wake up and recognize that their politicians have failed them - toss them out and elect some new leadership with fresh, new approaches to solving the problem... and that starts with politicians who will be brave enough to even ADMIT that there's a problem. If that doesn't work, then reasonable people need to pick up and leave these places. I have nothing against someone carrying a gun. But, for me personally, if I felt I NEEDED to carry one because my neighborhood was so unsafe that I'd be a target for violent crime, my first order of business would be getting out of there.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
In Florida you won't end up in jail. Get some good firearm law insurance though, a court case could still be very expensive.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Chicago is my favorite american city by far. It's is the quintessential American city for architecture and food culture. If you stay in the Loop and use common sense (like any big city in the world) it's an amazing place to be.

I highly suggest taking one of the Architectural river cruises (at night!), it's fabulous.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm the OP and love Chicago more than any other city in the world to live in 6 months a year. I'll bring this back to driving in a moment, but for those that knock it, I'd suggest living in some other countries for a while. I've lived all over Latin America for half my life doing business and spent years watching my back for kidnappers and having to pay security guards, cops, politicians and everyone else just to stay safe. I lived in Asia and didn't care for it and Europe was good, but not as great as 'merica. Big american cities definitely have their problems, but I have not found anyplace better in the world to live. Of course, this is simply personal preference and I fully respect people who disagree and like other places. I don't think my feelings are correct for everyone..... just for me.

If any of you are in Chicago, I have a route that I take a lot of days when there is no traffic that is heaven. Lake shore Drive up and down, then exit either into lower wacker drive (you literally take a batman type tunnel all the way under the entire central business district and can go, so I hear, as fast as you want. Then hop on the highway and either head south down to 55 to link back up with LSD or take 90 94 for a bit or even 290 West for a few exits and then loop back to lower wacker drive.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have had to carry a firearm for most of my adult life given my profession. For me, if I lived in a city like Chicago whose problems are only enhanced by covid/protests/anti police sentiment/stand down orders...I would drive an alternate vehicle that does not put a target on my back (given its price tag and the attention it draws). If the OP is truly concerned for his safety and considering arming himself then the simple answer is use your R8 for pleasure rides in select areas when you can truly enjoy it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had to carry a firearm for most of my adult life given my profession. For me, if I lived in a city like Chicago whose problems are only enhanced by covid/protests/anti police sentiment/stand down orders...I would drive an alternate vehicle that does not put a target on my back (given its price tag and the attention it draws). If the OP is truly concerned for his safety and considering arming himself then the simple answer is use your R8 for pleasure rides in select areas when you can truly enjoy it.
Sound like good advice. No need to put a target on your back in a "not so good" location!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts