Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife bought our daughter a new Toyota RAV4 and the dealer told us it does not need to be broken in. They say the way they make engines these days are so advanced, there is no need for break-in. What about the R8?

·
Registered
718 Posts
The engines are NOT run-in at all.

If fact the first time they fire up, is at the end of the production line.

A full run-in is required, as noted in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
R8 mechanic at my dealer told me the engines are broken in with regular oil, drained and synthetic oil added. I cannot remember how many hours he said they are run before the change to synthetic. I don't know it he is accurate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I called my dealer and he told me the engines are fully ready to go when you pick the car up.
That made me very happy, as I hated the long break-in on my M6. I don't drive a lot, and it took seemingly forever to get enough mileage on to give it a good run.
I am surprised to see here that there may actually be a break-in period for my upcoming V10.
Someone must know for sure, and what the recommendations are, so please post them.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I called my dealer and he told me the engines are fully ready to go when you pick the car up.
Well, they're ready to start and drive away but your sales person is very misinformed. You should have him/her review the R8 Owners Manual. In the US Owners Manual, it clearly states there is a 1,500 mile break-in period that incudes the following (as I recall);

0,000 - 1,000 miles - NO RPM above 6,000 and NO full throttle starts
1,000 - 1,500 miles - gradually start increasing the RPM to redline and NO full throttle starts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Audi is very clear in their user manual. There is a break in period. My 2009 manual says

1. Do not use full acceleration for the first 600 miles, and do not exceed 6000 rpm

2. You must also not use full acceleration between 600 and 1200 miles

3. From 1200 to 1500 miles you can gradually increase max engine speed to 8250 rpm for brief periods

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
That's it, thanks for the recall..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts