Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK strange question I know but.....
Most days now I pass a Daytona Gray R8 going the opposite way, same place / same time scenario.
First time I saw him I flashed my lights and waved (sad I know) he ignored me and continues to ignore me.
Am I going mad or does anyone else wave?

·
Registered
108 Posts
As you say it's very sad that the old custom of waving/flashing lights in recognition of an identical model seem to have passed

In my MGB/Austin Healey youth it was considered downright ignorant not to acknowledge in this way and many a time actually stop for a chat.

I've only seen 2 other R8s when driving mine and have flashed my lights both times - only to be ignored :(

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
If I ever saw another r8 I'd give an acknowledgment out of courtesy given the strong sense of community and volume of uk members on this site, but I wouldn't be over hopeful of that being returned if it's anything like previous cars I've owned. Sometimes it seems that owners of like cars are embarrassed to acknowledge they aren't the only driver of that vehicle in that area - as though it makes them less "special" somehow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I used to have a White MGB GT, Chrome Bumper of course!
Maybe thats why I wave.......
Wonder how much a nice BGT is nowadays?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen 3 R8's (2 in one day!) and have waved/flashed at all 3. Had a response from 2, but ignored by other. I spend more time waving and flashing my lights at people in other cars and walking along, who love the R8, and wave and flash at me!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Have only ever seen 1 other R8 on the road at the same time and we both acknowledged each other.I even sometimes get a nod from A5,RS4 owners as well.

Corvette owners generally are always a friendly bunch.I remember once coming back from a Indy race held here on the Gold Coast and was slowly crawling down a 2 lane road in traffic beside a ZRO6. We keep admiring each others cars and exchanging smiles for quite a way.Should mention the driver was a young female...unfortunately she had a male passenger!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have yet to see another on the road...but YES, I would! I do notice, other Audi owners usually give me a thumbs up.
In the past, with the Porsche and Corvette, owners would always acknowledge the "waves".

·
Registered
190 Posts
I havent seen another on the road and I imagine if I did, there would be a lot of waving going on. I ran into an S6 recently and he and I acknowledged eachother and played a bit of cat and mouse on the highway

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I wave and chat to any Audi/VW driver that passes me. Never seen another R8 though

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I like the Porsche way of flashing lights at each other too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll wave if/when I get my R8.

Porsche guys wave if they are true "car guys".

Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
I always take the time to talk to anyone whose cars I like after they park, outside my office, on the street, or in parking lot. This range from classic BMW to whatever. Some were nice and would take a few minutes to chat, some are just rude with “I am too rich to talk to you” written on their face. Whatever. Yes, I would wave with a big smile.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Porsche guys do wave a lot. When I used to have a Porsche in the states I always got a highbeam and a wave when I happened to pass one. I didn't react at first, but I got used to it and always got prepared to wave whenever I saw a Porsche coming up ahead. :D One thing is for sure though. There are no waves or anything like that here in Korea.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I actually ever see another R8 on the road, i will certainly be waving. I have never seen one anywhere, and I get around a fair bit. So color me disappointed that I have not been able to wave yet :(

·
Registered
485 Posts
I seen a few around, but not while I was driving mine. I think to think it would be fun to see another R8 on the road, esp if both were heading the same direction on the freeway

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
This is a nice thread, thanks MacR8A5 for starting it!

Like many, I have never seen another R8 on the road (except at an Audi Club Event).

I suspect I am like many of you and appreciate all interesting cars. I like to acknowledge them to their owners. I gave a thumbs-up tonight to a wicked lowered Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors. It was in great shape - what a cool old car :D

When driving the R8 I really do try to acknowledge all Audi owners. Although the majority turn out to just be a "mommy/daddy in a sedan" and are pretty clueless about what they are driving, it's worth not-being-a-jerk when an appreciative owner smiles back at the acknowledgment of a common bond!

Most Porsche & Corvette drivers also know and appreciate the R8, and most seem pleasantly surprised when I acknowledge my appreciation of their ride with a wave.

You get back what you give!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a nice thread, thanks MacR8A5 for starting it!

my appreciation of their ride with a wave.

You get back what you give!
No problem, I thought ir was maybe just me, but interesting to see other peoples views.
At the weekend we went shopping in the R8 and ended up with a small crowd around it when we returned. The nice think with the R8 is how positive people are towards it :), I have yet to have any negative reaction! Unlike some of the comments from my previous cars, especially the Porches! :mad:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Regarding other cars, I was pulling out of a parking lot one day and a guy in a Mazda RX8 was pulling in. Lot's of guys who drive RX8's have an appreciation for great handling cars. He stopped dead in the intersection - I thought he was going to get rear ended. The look on his face was one of shock and awe. He started grinning and giving me thumbs ups, and his passenger was craning his neck trying to see.

My reaction was to point at his car and give him a thumbs up too. That acknowledment towards his vehicle from an R8 driver clearly made him feel great. That made me feel better than him going crazy over the R8. Part of the overall R8 experience is situations like this. It makes every drive a potential event.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I don't think we have any other R8s in Tucson but I get flashed & waved at all the time, and I always respond.

As a long time BMWCCA & PCA member, I can confirm, we ALWAYS flash & waive.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts