Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first Audi that I really liked was the 2003 Audi A8. I loved it so much it was the first Audi that I bought. Since the R8 was unveiled, Audi became so popular. They were not as popular before. I'm really curious, do y'all like other Audi cars?;)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I own a 2004 A8L and I really enjoy it. It was number 573 and had some maitenance issues, but I still love driving the car. It is great as a daily driver and on long trips.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive just bought a 2009 S5, it will be an everday drive, like the looks and practicality and will hopefully mean i use the R8 a little less, dont get me wrong i love driving it, but ibis white is soooo hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Like? No my friend, LOVE---I was an AUDI junkie long before R8 became a concept car. I've had 12 since 2001: 3-A4's (1.8) 2-S4's (Including the 25th Anniversary Quattro Edition--car #169), S4--Cab, 2-RS4's, (Currently driving Daytona Gray RS4 as my every day driver), S8, A4 2.0, 08 S5 (Custom ordered), and 09 R8.

Back in 2000 Audi, (At least in the Midwest) kept people guessing--I liked how understated the cars were; I had done 6 months of research driving: BMW, Mercedes, Sabb, and Lexus, there was no comparison for quality vs value at that time. From then on it's gotten better---it's been a lot of fun. I suppose that's why I just got a call from the local Audi rep wanting to do a story on the cars I have bought over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
even though the last 3 cars I've bought are audis (a4 3.0 tdi, r8, a5 3.0 tdi ) I still don't consider myself an "audi man". My heart still loves bmw's, but bmw don't have anything that comes close to the r8 and bmw don't do all wheel drive in the 3 series.

When the a5 goes, I think it'll be replaced with a 3.5 diesel x6.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
... and bmw don't do all wheel drive in the 3 series....
I have two 3 series with all wheel drive (325xi and 330xi) ... I guess that it is just not available in the UK. I have compared the new A4 with the BMW 3's and will change to an A4 as soon as my dealer can get me one with a manual transmission. It has a much better ride and, with the 2.0T engine, much better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
yeah, I should have said bmw don't do it in the UK - I know they are available in europe too. I've never understood why they don't bring the xi's to the uk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
never would have bought an audi before i got the R8 too boring and whitebread like bmw and mercedes. and if i had sat in a new audi before buying the R8 i might have passed on buying it. all the other models feel cheap to me and uncomfortable

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't like any other Audi although my daughter insisted on an A4 3.0 Convertible as her Company car (it's my company and I preferred the BMW but she IS rather spoilt)

I'll probably be banned from the forum for saying it but on balance I actually prefer my Range Rover to the R8 and when the R8 is up for renewal I propose to exchange both the R8 and my current Range Rover for the new 5.0 litre 500 BHP Range Rover:eek:

I do love the R8 but it just isn't proving practical as an everyday driver .
I guess I'm just getting too old , the UK roads are far too congested to really enjoy it and in my area there are just too many mobile speed camera vans:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
My R8 is actually my first Audi... ironically, I like the interiors on my previous VWs more

·
Registered
155 Posts
best looking cars on the road and the best made. but except for the r8 not the best to drive. i must say it really annoys me that the TT is so poor to drive given how good the r8 is (i own both)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I loved the S line A3 for zipping around roads in the Highlands on business, and we have had a succession of A4's/A6's, all with quattro naturally. The handling on the bigger Audi cars I have always had an issue with, but you were always there or thereabouts with the competition so it didn't really matter.

The car of choice for the early 20's set in Lochaber is the older BMW which smartens up well even though trashed, so no chance of me being seen in that bracket with a newer model!

We only have a Ford and VW garage in town, so not a lot of choice on the matter of cars round here, but the Audis do it for me in their own different ways.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a 2008 S6 before the R8 and miss it terribly. (My wife said "you don't need two 400+ HP cars!")

The S6 is a wonderful daily driving car -- incredibly comfortable, very powerful, spacious back seat. I'll be getting another one in a year.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll probably be banned from the forum for saying it but on balance I actually prefer my Range Rover to the R8 and when the R8 is up for renewal I propose to exchange both the R8 and my current Range Rover for the new 5.0 litre 500 BHP Range Rover:eek:

I do love the R8 but it just isn't proving practical as an everyday driver .
I guess I'm just getting too old , the UK roads are far too congested to really enjoy it and in my area there are just too many mobile speed camera vans:mad:
I must agree with you to a degree there.

For daily errands I use the Saab 97X most, and for effortless long trips nothing that I know beats the A8.

The SL will probably be sold soon (the roof leaks for the second time which is quite frustrating for what is supposed to be a high quality product) and the R8 is for sale because I hardly use it.

Once both are gone I may well buy a Range Rover which suits our new life (we moved to a farm) better.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
i must say it really annoys me that the TT is so poor to drive given how good the r8 is (i own both)
Hmmm, is your TT a first generation? I really like my Mk II TT for bashing around town. Nice handling, good power, great looks, and lots of luggage space. The interior of the cabin is even very similar to the R8 (no CF of course:)). Just got a set of H&R sport springs for it, and can't wait to get them put on...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The R8 is -HANDS DOWN -the best looking Audi of all time.It serves it's purpose well as being the Flagship ...still...but for how much longer? The Audi Sportwagen 4.2,FSI V8 would be my second Audi ,if I had to have another Audi. I still feel real comfortable with the reliability that came with my R8. :) In other words I think all the other Audi's were fugly, 'till these new models started coming out.I guess Audi was more determined to get the mechanicals right-on before tackling the beauty issues. Just my opinion though .Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and I be holding beauty when the R8 steering wheel is in my hands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '07 A8L with the W12 engine. I think it's much nicer thant he S-Class it replaced, and I've had no reliability problems (unlike the Mercedes). Between that and the R8 I've had nothing but good experiences with Audi.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Your A8L is a work of art.Audi is definitely on the right track now. But with conglomuration and partnerships and mergers ,Vw's are porsches ,Audis' - Lamborghini...The head of each should get together and design together, something really SPECIAL,and at a low cost.Using all the parts and knowledge available already.Before us Americans get a handle on the current situation and show what we can really do well...build good cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have had a first gen. TT, A4, RS4 and currently have an A6 (wifes car) in addition to the R8. I have had no reliability issues and have enjoyed them all. Interiors are beautiful. I do not use the R8 as a daily driver, use a Nissan Titan pickup....much lower key and holds the kids, tows the boat, etc. I do love the R8 and drive it fairly often, average almost 1k miles per month.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts