Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Indeed, they don't Maybe Milltek will make it in their R8 exhaust?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Any ideas guys? I don't think they do. Once again, pay top dollar, get old recylcled technology. :(

Don't get me wrong still love the car. Just wish it had Valvelift, DSG and some more ponies.
Hi bz888,

Are you getting a V8 engined R8 ... or waiting for the V10 as your signature here suggests ... :confused:

If you are getting a V8 ... it seems odd bearing in mind that you would be getting a car that ... in your opinion ... could be old tech ... without the gearbox you think it should have ... and without the power you feel it should have at its disposal ... :confused:

Sorry ... can't answer your question off the top of my head ... but, regardless of whether it does have a "ValveLift system" its still a great engine ... :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Currently the DSG gearbox would not be able to cope witht he power. Most tuners have said that the DSG box is good for you to 300BHP, anything over that and it would fail.

Also the R8 generates huge torque and with the high BHP DSG was not an option and hense why they went for the E-Gear.

Im sure they are working very hard on this situation and will probably reach a solution in the near future, not that i care its Manual all the way and the test drive at Rockingham only confirmed that further.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I realise this. Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant DSG Ver 2. Which I'm hoping is in production.

Also, I can't seem to find anything on ValveLift in the R8 engine. This means Cam Duration/Timing is infinately variable on both Intake and Exhaust cams of the R8 V8. But what about Lift? I don't think it has variable lift/ValveLift techology. If it did, I reckon we would see some HP/Torque improvements.

Which is a shame since Porsche has VarioCam Plus and even Toyota has VVTL-i (L is for Lift). Audi introduced ValveLift Technology on the Audi 2.8 V6 engine which is apparently a better system the Honda, Toyota or Porsche. I don't understand why they didn't use it on their Halo Product; the R8.

"Purpose of discussion is to explore technology implementation and benefits. No, I'm not dissing the R8 :D"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts