Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a way to minimize door dings from parking lots on their R8? I am almost afraid to park my car anywhere that I cannot watch it. In the past I had a new Jaguar XKR. I would park as far out as possible with no other cars near it. I would come back from a meeting and someone in a beat-up truck or other beater would be parked so close next to me that I could not open the door. I had to put the top down and crawl over the seats.

There is so much jealousy when you have something nice it is disturbing.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have CF blades. Is it realistic to use stonegard on the doors?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to minimize door dings from parking lots on their R8? I am almost afraid to park my car anywhere that I cannot watch it. In the past I had a new Jaguar XKR. I would park as far out as possible with no other cars near it. I would come back from a meeting and someone in a beat-up truck or other beater would be parked so close next to me that I could not open the door. I had to put the top down and crawl over the seats.

There is so much jealousy when you have something nice it is disturbing.
*Snore*

Jeez, just park it. It's just a car.

·
Registered
943 Posts
An extremely expensive one. I would think working towards protecting it is understandable.
If you're going to drive any reasonable amount, you're going to get blemishes. I have stone nicks on the hood, small scratches, scraped front, and some marks on the wheels. Then again, I have 9K miles on it.

It's impossible to avoid these things and you're best off just forgetting about them. I have never in my life had a door ding anyway. 99% of people don't swing their doors open and respect other peoples belongings.

Best thing to do is simply park a little further out and next to empty spaces if possible. Don't spend 30 minutes waiting to park.

Oh, and what good will it do being able to see your car? Would you like to see the person hit you? LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
*Snore*

Jeez, just park it. It's just a car.
I agree, its just a car. Sure show it some better care, and keep the insurance paid up,.. and enjoy the heck out of it! But it IS just a car.

If you try to think of it as some kind of "sacred cow',.. you will just be wasting all of your time fretting about silly stuff. I suggest putting a MUCH higher value on the health of your regular thinking, than on any car.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
If you're going to drive any reasonable amount, you're going to get blemishes. I have stone nicks on the hood, small scratches, scraped front, and some marks on the wheels. Then again, I have 9K miles on it.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean you should WELCOME it right? Do you perform maintenance? I know people get clearbras... why? To avoid that stuff as much as possible. Therefore, it's not a stretch to imagine putting your car in as little peril as possible. Heck, I won't even drive to NYC in my car anymore.

I have never in my life had a door ding anyway. 99% of people don't swing their doors open and respect other peoples belongings.
...and 87.345% of stats are BS and made up on the fly. I don't know where you live, but people will commonly do that and keep going as if nothing happened. Park on a street (remember parallel parking?) and expect people to lean, sit on and sometimes even spill crap on your car.

Best thing to do is simply park a little further out and next to empty spaces if possible. Don't spend 30 minutes waiting to park.
Now this I agree on... just don't park next to the huge monster truck with mud all over the wheels and you'll be cool.

Best thing to do is simply park a little further out Oh, and what good will it do being able to see your car? Would you like to see the person hit you? LOL.
haha, insanely irrational, but when I drive certain places I like to be able to see my car too lol... I know I can't fly out the window to the offender, but still...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been dinged before on multiple prior cars even with "selective" parking, so I do believe this is quite common. Nothing that one of those "tool" guys couldn't fix real cheap. Luckily, no one has dinged the r8 yet (yeah, I know I shouldn't have said it), and I drive it to work once or twice a week and run errands as well as do fun drives on the weekends.

When I first got it, boy I would inspect it meticulously for pinpoint blemishes which I would painstakingly barely touch up as flat as possible before I got the clear armor. Now, I still love the car, but I honestly just enjoy it and drive it and worry so much less (the clear armor admittedly doing a great job although the whole car is not covered). I figure, if something remotely significant happens, I'll just fix it then.

·
Registered
482 Posts
it's really a subject that is subjective. Some people don't mind certain things with their cars while to others it will bug them looking at dings. I usually park my cars (if in a parking lot) as far as possible. This accomplishes 2 things:

1. i get to do a bit more walking, which keeps me more active
2. keep it away from people / shopping carts / other cars

Chips, dings, scratches all bug me, so I am quite picky about where my car goes. So far no scratches or dings on the R8, but my other Audi is another story! Just picked up a Q7 4.2 Premium. My wife brings it to out to do some Christmas shopping at the mall. Comes back to the car 5 hrs later and finds some nasty scratches and gashes on the rear passenger door. Looks like when someone was either going in or out of the parking space to her right that they swiped the door!!!! GRRRRR The car is only one week old. I will post pictures once I get a chance later in the day.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw someone with an old Dino Ferrari ('73 vintage) that pulled out what looked like a spider web. He threw it over the car and...Voila he had a four inch donut all the way around his car at the midpoint. I thought this was a weeeeee bit excessive, but his car had no dings. The amazing thing is that nobody stole it.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I saw someone with an old Dino Ferrari ('73 vintage) that pulled out what looked like a spider web. He threw it over the car and...Voila he had a four inch donut all the way around his car at the midpoint. I thought this was a weeeeee bit excessive, but his car had no dings. The amazing thing is that nobody stole it.
^^^ love to see a pic of that one.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If you DO get a dreaded "ding": Don't despair. My pristine light colored metallic A6 was "keyed" by some s.o.b.. Single linear scratch down to the white primer. Began on the front fender, crossed both doors and ended on the rear fender. Conventional body shops quoted thousands for a repaint.

I got a master craftsman who does "micro scratch and dent" repair to fix it. Did it in my own garage in about 4 hours total and charged me $400. Absolutely could NOT see any trace of the repair after he was done. Along with it, he fixed a small round "dimple" in the curve of the trunk lid (from a shopping cart) for $75. I could not have been more pleased. No evidence at all of either injury!

He basically micro sanded, filled and painted the defect, using model makers tools, a Dremel type power tool and an airbrush. The painting was done in several coats with perfect color match and clear coat and was finished by wet sanding and compounding. Everything was super fast drying (I doubt "green" "low VOC" paints can do that though) and it only had to be protected from the weather indoors for 24 hrs.. Amazing. I think such techniques are becoming widespread.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My pristine light colored metallic A6 was "keyed" by some s.o.b.. Single linear scratch down to the white primer. Began on the front fender, crossed both doors and ended on the rear fender.
This is a concern of mine too. There are a lot of unemployed, disgruntled individuals out there looking for "displays of conspicuous consumption" - the R8 fits that bill! They think everyone should be driving Hondas & Toyotas (or probably GM cars?).

I guess all you can do is be aware of where you're going & what the parking situation is. Of course, I'll be driving the Prius to those places...:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's always amazing though that even if you park at the far end of parking lots, there always seems to be an idiot with a SUV that will park next to you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's always amazing though that even if you park at the far end of parking lots, there always seems to be an idiot with a SUV that will park next to you.
ain't that the truth!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts