Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a few problems with the sound mics, which we will address in future tests but the complete package makes quite a nice review if you haven't already seen it.

In the last few days we added sound files and in-car telemetry laps to complement the feature.

Even though the R8 wasn't the fastest, it was still my favourite out of the group and made me wish I hadn't cancelled my order, so I will hopefully be back in one again soon. The test wasn't incident free, but we gained some new found respect for the R8 and I am glad to say that I can now happily appreciate how much more appealing the R8 is than my old RS4. :)

Anyway, here are the main bits to watch/listen to:

Feature:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/features/

Main video:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_...e4bbc2e3a7349c9aba594c58978034e&area=features

Telemetry laps: (apologies for the loss of sound)

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=8a5b3831136541c29e409743cad7b31a&area=videos

Sound files:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/audio/

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I really liked the videos/audio which I saw the other day and the telemetary laps you've just linked to add an extra something too - my only gripe is wouldn't it be better to use the same driver for each lap to remove driver ability from the equation?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We have the track for 2 hours which includes all the tracking shots, testing, timing, calibration (you get the idea). There's a lot to do in a short space of time. What we do though is swap drivers during the session, so we can see from the telemetry the variance between drivers (which is very little) and thereby can select the fastest time each car achieved with reasonable confidence of its representative nature.

So we select the videos to vary the driver been shown, (otherwise one of us would scoop all the glory!), but we are pretty sure that the lap times are not influenced by any particular driver's ability (which are actually very close anyway).

I was really pleased to see the R8 being the quickest on track (bar the freakish GT-R). When we ran the R8 and 911 side by side from a standing start, the 911 blew it away (recording a low 9 second to 100mph in the process), but the R8 was still faster on a lap.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
There's a lot to do in a short space of time. What we do though is swap drivers during the session, so we can see from the telemetry the variance between drivers (which is very little) and thereby can select the fastest time each car achieved with reasonable confidence of its representative nature.
Thanks for explaining it - that makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi Steve,

When we ran the R8 and 911 side by side from a standing start, the 911 blew it away (recording a low 9 second to 100mph in the process), but the R8 was still faster on a lap..

I'm sure the V10 will resolve that.............:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Steve,

When we ran the R8 and 911 side by side from a standing start, the 911 blew it away (recording a low 9 second to 100mph in the process), but the R8 was still faster on a lap..

I'm sure the V10 will resolve that.............:)
I am sure it will, but isn't it great to see Porsche 'having to' up their game to compete with Audi? ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am sure it will, but isn't it great to see Porsche 'having to' up their game to compete with Audi? ;)
Yes, agree 100%. But then that is the danger.

Sure, production of the R8 is a fraction of Porsche's, but it represents something they lack in their designs - imagination.

Wouldn't they just love to see the R8 die, or stifle future development ?

With Porsche virtually in control of VAG, how long will that gentlemen's agreement last, where Porsche agree not to interfere in the day to day running of Audi ???

When it comes to hard cash, there is much more profit margin in a 911 than an R8.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
When it comes to hard cash, there is much more profit margin in a 911 than an R8.
the r8 is a great halo across the whole audi brand so the benefits of having the r8 in audis range extend beyond just per unit profit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts