Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a track day recently and noticed at around 190km/h the car felt like it was floating and about to lose control. This was on a long straight at a local track (smooth track, not really uneven).

I wonder what it is? The car didn’t feel planted, almost as if the front was like lifting off the ground. Is this a tire pressure issue? Fronts were like 33 psi warm.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
There is something wrong. I have had my car at the track multiple times at 156 mph/256k/h and I have commented it felt like I was going 40 mph it was so rock solid.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What tires? My michelins feel a bit softer at the side wall.

Although not the fastest I've gone I feel the need to hit the sport suspension mode after about 130 mph to really feel the road. If I remember right that's like 210-220 for you.

Have you check for mag ride leaks? I had a similar thing happen on my daily where the air ride was just plain defective from the factory. It was heavy as a tank and felt like a waterbed because of it.

Also have you had any hard impacts? Sometimes suspension components seem to wear out quickly from some areas. Or it could be a simple alignment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
190km/h is about 118MPH.

I was doing 120MPH+ on several stretches of highway in my 2017 Plus just yesterday and today, no float at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Pzero’s. It’s a really weird feeling, like car is gonna lose control (the front feels light).
P Zeros suck

Replace with pilot super sport (they dont make 4s in our tire size IIRC, otherwise 4s is a bit better), or use sport cup 2 or something similar if you dont daily drive the car

Enjoy it in good health!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
P Zeros are rubbish as already said but before you bin them set your tyre pressures to 36 F and 34 R from cold and have an alignment check done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Something is wrong, please don’t drive that fast till your sorted it out, it is indeed unsafe. First get a very good suspension and alignment shop. Get full suspension check including struts and make proper alignment
Second, less likely, but still check tire pressure and just in case perform high speed wheel balance
R8 first and second gen are very good handling cars and should feel safe even at 330kmh

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Pzero’s. It’s a really weird feeling, like car is gonna lose control (the front feels light).
P Zeros suck

Replace with pilot super sport (they dont make 4s in our tire size IIRC, otherwise 4s is a bit better), or use sport cup 2 or something similar if you dont daily drive the car

Enjoy it in good health!
I just got new tires. The car had the P Zeroes on it, and needed replacing. I picked up Michelin PS 4s from TireRack. You're right that they don't make them in all sizes, unfortunately (couldn't get a set for my GT350), but luckily they do make them for our R8s.

·
Registered
830 Posts
...I picked up Michelin PS 4s from TireRack...
These 4S sizes are available for Gen2 19" wheels:

Front: 245/35ZR19 (93Y) XL - [Mercedes Spec]
Rear: 295/35ZR19 (104Y) XL - [Mercedes Spec] - No 305's

And these 4S sizes are available for Gen2 20" wheels:

Front: 245/30ZR20 (90Y) XL - [Generic Michelin Spec]
Rear: 295/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Generic Michelin Spec]

Front: 245/30ZR20 (90Y) XL - [Audi Spec]
Rear: 295/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Audi Spec]

Rear: 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Generic Michelin Spec]

Rear: 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Audi Spec]

·
Registered
70 Posts
...I picked up Michelin PS 4s from TireRack...
These 4S sizes are available for Gen2 19" wheels:

Front: 245/35ZR19 (93Y) XL - [Mercedes Spec]
Rear: 295/35ZR19 (104Y) XL - [Mercedes Spec] - No 305's

And these 4S sizes are available for Gen2 20" wheels:

Rear: 295/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Generic Michelin Spec]

Rear: 295/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Audi Spec]

Rear: 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Generic Michelin Spec]

Rear: 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL - [Audi Spec]
Ah. I have the 20" wheels, though I wanted the 19". I never looked up the 19" sizes since I was replacing 20s.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I tried 45 psi at the track and I could not control my car. It was down right dangerous.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got new tires. The car had the P Zeroes on it, and needed replacing. I picked up Michelin PS 4s from TireRack. You're right that they don't make them in all sizes, unfortunately (couldn't get a set for my GT350), but luckily they do make them for our R8s.
Thats what they didnt make them for lol, got them confused

I also have a GT350 and was considering switching the SC2 to PS4 so I could drive it year round, my fault on the mixup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like others have said to lower your tire pressure. Too much air will feel like the car is floating.
I run 34-35psi cold front and back. Car is stable at 160 mph for me. I run 19" with Conti Sport 6s

·
Registered
549 Posts
Concur with other feedback except the 45psi hot comment. It depends on tire but for most Michelin’s or P Zero’s, anything above mid 30’s hot is asking for trouble in corners. I’ve done dozens of track days in the Gen 2 with max speeds up to 170mph and frequent encounters with 100 - 140 during every single lap. The car has never felt unstable, especially when simply mashing the go peddle on a straight. Something is not right with your car...check alignment first. I doubt it’s the P Zeros. I wasn’t a fan of them on the street, so brought them to Mid Ohio for a proper and quick death! Two days on track and they were toast but they actually performed well for a street tire, nothing odd in their behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve just got a Gen2 V10+ and am coming from a BMW M4. I find that at 180MPH+ (on a private road) the suspension is quite bouncy and steering is not as tight and direct as you’d expect so it doesn’t inspire confidence. I honestly felt safer in the M4 going 180MPH+ as the car felt more stable and connected to the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a track day recently and noticed at around 190km/h the car felt like it was floating and about to lose control. This was on a long straight at a local track (smooth track, not really uneven).

I wonder what it is? The car didn’t feel planted, almost as if the front was like lifting off the ground. Is this a tire pressure issue? Fronts were like 33 psi warm.
Hi,

I had the same problem, go to the audi dealer and have the shock absorbers and shock absorber control unit checked, everything was replaced on mine to fix the problem

My car is november 2016 production

I had the same problem with both pirelli pzero and michelin pilot sport cup 2,
in my car the problem was the shock absorbers and the electronics (not the tires)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since I got my 2010 on the road last year i have felt that the car almost dog tracks under load and then goes the other way when I lift off. It is an R-Tronic and it feels uneasy at brisk winding highway pace. i suspect it is worn bushings in the suspension but the car only has 11 miles on it and all of the suspension parts appear OK. I just had the alignment done at the dealer and it still feels funny. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Since I got my 2010 on the road last year i have felt that the car almost dog tracks under load and then goes the other way when I lift off. It is an R-Tronic and it feels uneasy at brisk winding highway pace. i suspect it is worn bushings in the suspension but the car only has 11 miles on it and all of the suspension parts appear OK. I just had the alignment done at the dealer and it still feels funny. Any suggestions?
11 miles??
It's not broken in yet. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts