Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on much lately hectic time with packing up and setting up all legal details of moving to the UK.

I was curious what everyones thoughts were on how driving and riding in the BMW's versus the R8 are. I'm sure by far the "on rails" feel is stronger for the R8. Aside from the looks, how is accel, braking and such.

:cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on much lately hectic time with packing up and setting up all legal details of moving to the UK.

I was curious what everyones thoughts were on how driving and riding in the BMW's versus the R8 are. I'm sure by far the "on rails" feel is stronger for the R8. Aside from the looks, how is accel, braking and such.

:cool:
test out the M6 last July, did not like it, way too jerky for me. But that was based on 10 minutes of driving. I hate to say this, but I really like the pdk from Porsche. It is very quick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get a chance to drive the manual M?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I owned a 2006 BMW M3 (SMG) for several years. Rented a 2007 BMW M5 (SMG) for a week while on vacation. Rented a 2008 BMW M6 (SMG) for a week while on vacation.

Straight acceleration? R8 matches them all up to a certain speed then M will carry on.

Lateral acceleration? No need to say, we all know the answer: R8! The M6 wiggles left-right-left-right before being perfectly flat. The M5 does it quicker. The R8 does it instantly.

Braking power? The R8 is truly fantastic. Yes, M brakes are too but take it to the next level and you get the R8's.

Nimblest? I thought it was the M3 until I got the R8. The suspension on the R8 is from another planet.

Overall driving experience? R8 all the way! Feels the safest in curves, under high speed, under heavy rain. You just feel you control every single bolt of the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do miss the M3 at times, I loved the SMG that it had though many hate it.

I had not heard someone state the 5 was more stable than 6. How does engine pull compare to your R8?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I do miss the M3 at times, I loved the SMG that it had though many hate it.

I had not heard someone state the 5 was more stable than 6. How does engine pull compare to your R8?

Neither have I heard the 6 being more stable than the 5. I made that conclusion based on taking the same exit on a highway and feeling "more glued". After all, you asked for personal experiences/opinions ;).

This reminds me that I actually watched an episode from Fifth Gear saying the M5 is more stable than the M6; on high speed track curves that is. :D

Both the M5 and the M6 were truly amazing at high speed. You feel as if there is no end of power. I guess the 500bhp explains it all.

Despite that, I would not take a M5 or M6 on the R8, never.

On a final note, I'd say the only true way to know if you like (I should say love) a car, it's to drive it fully.

Another car I truly appreciate is my AM V8 Vantage. The sounds of the exhaust is just staggering.

All my cars are picked first on exterior design then overall driving experience.

So far, the R8 is #1 and will most likely be it for a long while.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Auto modes are very similar between the two...other than that, they are completely diff cars. In the R8 you will feel like you are in a cockpit while the M5 / M6, the size and weight is felt whether you are driving or just sitting in it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
HovyR8 has nailed it perfectly. We too had 2 M3...one SMG, the other 6 spd, and one M5...neither of them come close to the R8....We too have a 2009 AM Vantage...and it is close...I prefer the R8...DH prefers the AM....but neither compare to the Ferrari! R8 is close in handling and feel....but not as good! Sigh....so many cars, so little time! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the m6 is more of a gt whereas the r8 is more of a sports car.

for sheer grunt and straight line speed the m6 was clearly stronger but for handling on twisty roads the r8 is in a different league making it the faster real world point-to-point car for me.

I preferred the smg in the m6 to the r-tronic in the r8 though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
HovyR8 has nailed it perfectly. We too had 2 M3...one SMG, the other 6 spd, and one M5...neither of them come close to the R8....We too have a 2009 AM Vantage...and it is close...I prefer the R8...DH prefers the AM....but neither compare to the Ferrari! R8 is close in handling and feel....but not as good! Sigh....so many cars, so little time! :rolleyes:
:D

i should get in a F430 to try, seems like heaven

·
Registered
45 Posts
no real comparison between the Audi r8 and M cars. The Audi is a true sports car with the feel. The M5 and 6 drive like sedans with good power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts