Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to think about driving lessons since joining the forum but now i'll have time so i'd like some help.

I want to learn as quickly as i can simply because i don't want to take a long time and i don't know when my V10 will be coming so i'd like to learn before it does.

I've been looking at intensive courses the one that looks best so far is this one:
The Tyro Plus 45 hr 1:1 course. £1150.00

TYRO in Latin means beginner. The TYRO Plus course is aimed at students with no previous experience. Tyro Plus students might have never driven before and will need to be taught all their driving skills.

The TYRO Plus course is an 8 day course on a one 2 one instructor to student ratio basis that begins on Mondays and ends the following Monday with the practical driving test arranged as the final hour of the course.

The normal start time each day is 09.00, although flexibility on times is offered to students who commute and unable to arrive for a 09.00 start. Monday to Saturday tuition will be of 6 hours training each day, The Sunday will be for 4 hours.
The Monday test day will be of 5 hours with driving test. A short refreshment break is taken every 2 hours of training period. This course can also be taken over 7, 9, or 10 days.
If anyone could recommend courses they think would be better then it would be appreciated. Anywhere in England would be ok for me i don't mind doing the courses away from home. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It looks like this course is destined to people with essentially no driving experience.

I'm guessing, since you've ordered a R8 V10, that you do have driving experience but want to improve your high-speed driving skills, so you should look elsewhere.

Do a search on the forum. There recently was a thread about this very subject

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Have you at least driven race carts?? If not...get your butt behind the wheel so you get the feeling and experience of the R8. Good handling sports cars are VERY similar to race carts. ( the R 8 grips the road as well as a race cart too !) Thank God the R 8 has ESP to keep your self alive.I have the feeling that the worst of the worst R 8 accidents involved the ESP/ASR being turned OFF. The R8 is almost too safe a car ,Thankfully, for you with little or no experience. But if you can afford this car then you must already own a race cart or have many hours of carting time making you a better driver (on the race track) than most of us. That's all folks !! :) :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't mean to sound paternalistic, but the R8 is no more a good first car than a 1200cc 200 bhp bike is a good first motorbike.

And a one-week driving course isn't going to give you the experience that you need to drive it.

Put the R8 in a garage and get yourself a good sensible car. There are lots of them that are absolutely great. Then spend a lot of time learning, on the road and on track.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not buying the 1000cc motorbike I saw last week because I haven't driven a motorbike for well over 20 years and I have to learn all over again.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get driving experience before the R8 comes, thats why i want to do one of these courses so i can start driving faster.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I'll get driving experience before the R8 comes, thats why i want to do one of these courses so i can start driving faster.
You are missing his point. Even with classes and a couple of months of driving, there are many other cars that are better to start in. A lot of driving comes from first hand experience, which comes with time (years of experience). The R8 is a great car, but really is not the best to have early on. It is not a very practical car for everyday use, unless you have something else to also drive (you need to pick up big items, multiple people, carry many items, etc). The visibility from the R8 is not terrific, especially for people with limited driving experience. It would be a shame to bump into things or curbs with an R8, due to lack of experience. There are many other cars that would be better to have early on.

Think of flying a performance jet plane. Yes they are great and can go fast and go far, but do you really think any pilot actually started in one? No, they started in simpler, slower, more appropriate planes. With lots of experience and skill they move up the ladder.

The R8 may work out fine for you, but don't be surprised to get in over your head to easily. I know that if I had my R8 as my first car, it would not have been a good decesion.

You will do what you will, but do not be surprised when you learn your lessons the hard way. I am not trying to tell you not to get an R8. I am just restating that just because you take some lessons, you would really be better off with a lot more experience in another car. No matter the lessons, you will only absorb so much information. Lots of behind the wheel driving, especially with others in traffic, is where you will learn a lot of real world lessons. I can not recommend any lessons in the UK, since I am not in that area, but good luck.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Davey...check out this website www.WreckedExotics.com I usually don't need to see those disturbing pics...but today I saw where an R8 hit a pedestrian,the windshield is broken in and there is blood on the bumper.So not only you may get injured but also others as well.Get as much skill as possible in your wait for your car !!! Lucky for you ,your training can be in the very car you plan to own.Have some professionals or Audi teach you the skills you will need and when they say you are good to go, well then go for it !! Getting professional help is DEFINITLY the way to go!! You lucky guy. :) :) :) Oh yeah READ READ READ about different styles of driving.Drifting will come in handy too,For those difficult parrallel parking situations !!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't make this thread for people to try and tell me not to get an R8, i made it so i could get help in choosing driving lessons. Yes i'll have another car not just the R8 i know there are some places around where i live i won't be able to get to in the R8, yes i'll be getting as much experience as i can before i drive the R8, and yes i will be getting it regardless of people's opinions. If i think i'm at risk simply by driving the R8 then i won't drive it until i feel at ease, im not an immature idiot who wants to show off by driving, i want the R8 because of reading reviews and people's opinions on the car, so it will be great to own one and drive one.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think there is a lot of genuine concern out there that you are buying a 200 mph capable car without even, metaphorically speaking, being out of nappies yet. How are you going to get the car insured for starters?

Driving lessons are not really going to help - years of experience on the road will. It is no insult to your manhood - my daughter reacts in the same way during her lessons - but there is no way that you will be fully road/street aware for years. And in a 200 mph missile, what is the point?

If, as you say, you are going to be Captain Sensible, then buy a sensible car and take 'on-road driving courses' at your local track and leave the dream purchase until much later. We will all feel safer out there.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already pointed out this thread isn't to tell me not to buy an R8 so stick to the point cause it's getting old now im sick of hearing it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've already pointed out this thread isn't to tell me not to buy an R8 so stick to the point cause it's getting old now im sick of hearing it.
Please read my last paragraph. I took the on-road driving course at Knockhill with an ex police driving instructor, as soon as I got the car. This was invaluable. But you need it insured first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
OH come on you must have been GO-karting ?

There is some very good racing schools and due to the lack of experience an Advanced driving course is a must, this is what the police must do to drive a high speed police car.

Have you thought about Insurance? you'll be looking around £20k pa personal LOL

I also think you will need to provide a full license when purchasing the car?

We all think we are good drivers but honestly in my short driving career i have wreaked a few cars... unfortunately it is the other drivers that you need to be aware of,especially when they are swerving along side Gocking at your new motor.

Best off buying a second car to make your mistakes in.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car is already ordered by my gf who has had her license for two years and i'm not bothered about insurance costs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a qualified ex Police Pursuit Driver (no longer in the force of course or I couldn't afford the R8) ;)

I'm not going to tell you what you should or should not purchase but assuming you are serious then the R8 is actually very easy for a novice to drive at "normal" speeds ( my wife happily drives mine) but do not under any circumstances turn off the ESP/ASR until you have gained some experience/tuition in advanced car control

More important , may I ask how old you are because if you are a normal red blooded inexperienced young male then you will feel the power of the car and , however sensible you think you are , will almost certainly drive it way beyond your capabilities

I'm not being spurious about this - road traffic accidents I've attended are the living proof or unfortunately , in some cases, the dying proof :(

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't think about turning the ESP/ASR off because these are what make the car safer to drive than most others, which is what i believe from reviews and reading this forum. I'm 18 and due to having many policemen, firemen etc coming into colleges and schools i have taken the message about careless driving and the consiquences, the most serious being death obviously. Until i am more experienced i won't be driving the R8 as often as i would like to but yes i will be driving it. I'll have another car so that will be my 'daily drive' until i'm more experienced.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did not mean any offense with my comments.

I have been driving group 20's since i was 17 on fleet policy.

Very impressed with the GF taste in presents,dose she have a sister?

The steering wheel setup for Grand truismo on PS3 is absolutely amazing.
It will give you a good practice at high-speed control.:eek:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Mr. Dee , maybe a better title for your thread is in order...Driving Lessons makes it sound as if you have NO experience whatsoever.Try something like : How do I master my new R8 V 10 ? 'cuz I want to keep the shiney side up and the sticky side down ! P.M. me and I'll give you some helfull tips on insuring the monster. OMG just saw that there are 666 views of my R8 video !! Have you seen it yet ?? If not , please click on link below . Driving tip #1 fasten your seat belts!! #2 STAY in your lane,#3 keep your fingers crossed. Hope I haven't pissed you off !!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Mr. Dee , maybe a better title for your thread is in order...Driving Lessons makes it sound as if you have NO experience whatsoever.
But he's said he has NO experience whatsoever

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
How 'bout those little peddle cars?-----Oh yeah, he said NO driving experience. :) Would'nt it be funny if this was a FAKE thread? It happens I'll bet !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts