Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
“...The dynamic steering system automatically adjusts the steering ratio and steering force to a vehicle’s speed to ensure that steering characteristics are matching any given situation. At high motorway speeds, a rather indirect steering ratio provides straight-line stability, while on winding roads at low to mid-range speeds, the wheel response provides precision. It works with the electronic stabilization program (ESP) to automatically apply steering corrections and stabilize the vehicle. By using sensitive sensors, it determines the steering angle specified by the driver by turning the steering wheel. Then, processors evaluate relevant data and calculate the wheels’ optimum steering angle. The necessary steering assistance is available thanks to an intermediate gear driven by an electric motor...”

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was trying to find a Plus without it, but just about everybody checked that box on the option sheet so I ended up with it. Honestly, it’s not as bad as what you read. And it only comes into play when you’re in COMFORT or AUTO modes. In Dynamic or Performance the ratio is fixed and its not a bad a ratio. But when you‘re in either of the modes that utilize it, you come to like it when driving slow through parking lots or gas stations. It can get a little weird if you’re in COMFORT and you hit the step down on the gas pedal to get up and go, because it will adjust the ratio on the fly and you can feel it. The other time it’s weird is when Im backing out of my inclined driveway onto a level road. I try to back out onto the road at a slight angle just to mitigate scraping the front and it doesn’t feel like Ive added a lot of steering input but the dynamic system is turning the wheels much faster than the steer input and I can feel the front driveshaft knuckles binding up as I back up and turn at the same time. It speeds up the steering so much that your brain is telling you that you haven’t turned the wheel enough for it to be binding up already. But overall the system isn't bad, it’s actually much better than I thought it would be and comes in handy when driving slowly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts