Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any R8 owners come over from E60 M5? Want to make a switch, but am afraid I won't be happy with less power/torque. I understand it is 400 pounds lighter than M5 and probably feels much sportier, but just looking for opinions from those that have been where I am and have made this transition. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Quite a few have come from the m6 to the r8, including me, as that is perhaps a more natural progression than from a saloon.

What you lose in the straight line gains from the extra hp of the bimmer v10 you gain from a big leap in handling and a different universe in terms of sense of occasion.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I had an opportunity to drive a friends E60 generation M5 at my track recently and then test drive an R8 within a week of that. I can tell you it is really quite a different experience. The M5 sure handles nicely for a heavier sedan but feels like a boat compared to the nimbleness of the R8. I used to have an E55 AMG and it was comparable to the M5 (although the M5 does handle better).

As far as power/torque there is plenty to be had with the R8 and higher revving engine is also different. You will not be disappointed at all unless your only goal is 0 to 60 "pin you to your seat" which there are better cars for that (or go with the V10!!).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Forget the R8 V8 if you're coming from a M5.

You won't lose anything if you go for the R8 V10. You'll actually gain a hell lot more!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forget the R8 V8 if you're coming from a M5.

You won't lose anything if you go for the R8 V10. You'll actually gain a hell lot more!
Just when I thought I could possibly be happy with the V8, you come along. I would not want to pay the cost of the V10 R8, especially where Gallardo's are currently priced.

Which brings me to another question, why V8 R8 vs. '06 Gallardo? I'm not sure I want the Lambo image, but for V10, power, sound and current cost, might just have to go there.

Come on with more opinions please.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just when I thought I could possibly be happy with the V8, you come along. I would not want to pay the cost of the V10 R8, especially where Gallardo's are currently priced.

Which brings me to another question, why V8 R8 vs. '06 Gallardo? I'm not sure I want the Lambo image, but for V10, power, sound and current cost, might just have to go there.

Come on with more opinions please.
I understand the cost factor with the R8 V10. In that case, the R8 V8 is perfect. I would not go for the Gallardo just because the R8 can be driven every single day; Gallardo, not so much.

I'd suggest other cars but it depends what you want/need? 2 door? 4 door? AWD? RWD? etc ...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any R8 owners come over from E60 M5? Want to make a switch, but am afraid I won't be happy with less power/torque. I understand it is 400 pounds lighter than M5 and probably feels much sportier, but just looking for opinions from those that have been where I am and have made this transition. Thanks!
Well I had the m6,and then a 997tt...and now the r8.The r8 is slower in a straight line,but for making you feel good and handling wise it is miles and miles better than either of those.
Depends on how important straight line speed is.I find the r8 v8 is fast enough for uk roads,and I have kept the car for 2 years ( a record for me).I really don't miss the performance of either the m6 or 997tt ,the r8 more than compensates in the sense of occasion and handling/agility.The r8 in standard form is faster on a track than the m6 obviously but also the 997tt..and all the early gallardos.
I actually found the v10 version loses something in the handling department (maybe the increase in weight?) so I'm sticking with the v8.I stuck a miltek exhaust on and might put a chip in it...I think that gives about 450bhp in total and a power to weight of near 300bhp/ton which will make it pretty close to the v10 without any increase in weight.
It is also the only new car I have bought in the last 5 years that I have not had a single issue with,outstanding build quality and reliability.
But if you do want bragging rights on 1/4 mile times etc,stick with the m5,if you want something to brighten your day get the r8.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Frankie...you made my day! I thought something was wrong when my buddies '06 Gallardo(V10) just could'nt shake/lose me in the R8 !!! We know he did'nt sleep well that nite !!!!!!!!!! You may have convinced me to continue improving the power to weight ratio of my V8, rather than upgrade right now. Good looking out brother !!! :)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I've got an M6 and a V10 R8 coming any day. They serve different functions for me. If you need a family car, keep the M5. While the M6 is not a "family car"...at least it has a bigger trunk (when needed) and, an added benefit is that I can cut down the size of my rear passengers! :) (NO MORE FAMILY AIRPORT PICKUPS FOR ME!!!!!!)

But these are 2 different animals. Nothing can touch a mid-engine car in my opinion as a pure sports car. I got the M6 when nothing I wanted with a mid-engine was on the horizon....but I love it and will keep it for it's intended purpose....a great GT, along side my new R8!

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts