Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my OEM rotors with the ECS tuning rotors. It was exciting until I noticed that after 1 track event the rotors developed cracks extending from the cross drilled fenestrations.

ECS "tuning"'s answer...well we do not guarantee them for track events.

Unfortunate. Will be getting future upgrades from other vendors.

Any input on better bang for the buck as far as rotors are concerned.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had good luck with ECS products. Maybe it's just the pics, but it looks like the rotors took a real beating. There are significant lips top and bottom. If that is all from one event, then the pads you were using were really abrasive, and the rotors are simply done. The R8 is not a light car. It would not surprise me to be able to completely trash a set of rotors in a day, especially with the right pads (like Hawk Blues).

I also would stay away from cross drilled for track use, for this very reason. But personally I don't see this as a defective product, I see this as the effects of hard use on track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. No hard lip, it may be the angle the pictures are taken. 65 degree weather, one track event with Yellow-stuff which are the brakes the ECS guys recommended. Quit frankly, I was very gentle on the brakes even though the pads were new and wanted to see how these rotors were going to last. Would not recommend them at all.

additionally over 3 miles of cooling after each session.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I've read that cracks at the holes are only a cause for replacement if they connect two or more holes. This assumes the rotors are not below minimum thickness.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've read that cracks at the holes are only a cause for replacement if they connect two or more holes. This assumes the rotors are not below minimum thickness.

As long as the cracks do not touch and you meet minimum thickness then you are good to go. But that much wear in one day you would need rocks for pads, plus another day like that and they will start to fail at some point which can really ruin your ay.

On stop-tech rotors on my viper I could almost get 8 track days out of a set and I was using Pagid pads with the most aggressive compounds that I could find in a very powerful car about the same weight I think as a R8. ~3500 lbs with fuel.

·
Registered
14 R8 V8
275 Posts
Replaced my OEM rotors with the ECS tuning rotors. It was exciting until I noticed that after 1 track event the rotors developed cracks extending from the cross drilled fenestrations.

ECS "tuning"'s answer...well we do not guarantee them for track events.
good use of this word!
My surname auf Deutsch = Window.

·
Registered
2014 R8 V10 Spyder
11 Posts
Thanks for the post, I'm in the market for rotors now and this helps me narrow the field. I've been looking at the 034 Motorsports 2 piece rotors, they are at the top of my list right now.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
714 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts