Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Audi R8 V10 stock and wanted add some power without going supercharger or TT. Not ready for exhaust yet until I figure out an ecu situation. A lot of people have told me APR or GIAC but look at VRtune that shows 600 hp on a stage 2 and can be done at home through the ODBII port vs sending of whole ecu. Need some good advice without spending a bunch of money at this point but still be able to stay a daily comfortable driver.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m going with APR for my 2015 R8 Competition this week. Unfortunately they have to remove and open my ECUs

·
Registered
736 Posts
VF Engineering tune provides a cable to do it at home via your laptop, and nets you around 50whp. It's a great tune, and VF is a great company. It was $1499 with the cable.

APR is also good, but what sold me on VF was the flash cable at home. I can switch between tunes whenever I want (takes about 20 mins, pull a few fuses and hook up a battery tender), and put it back to stock for dealership visits, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the stage 2 VR tune from vivid racing with speed limit removal and some nice gains and doing all from home through the obdII port

·
Registered
546 Posts
While doing it yourself sounds like a huge selling point, I have read of a couple of people that have had issues. Make sure you understand the exact procedure before you install your tune if you decide to go that route. I used an APR tune initially and yes, my ECU's had to be removed and sent to them the first time, but I was not comfortable doing it, even if I had the tools. I would definitely do the exhaust also, you'll enjoy your new sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While doing it yourself sounds like a huge selling point, I have read of a couple of people that have had issues. Make sure you understand the exact procedure before you install your tune if you decide to go that route. I used an APR tune initially and yes, my ECU's had to be removed and sent to them the first time, but I was not comfortable doing it, even if I had the tools. I would definitely do the exhaust also, you'll enjoy your new sound.
Thanks, what exhaust would you recommend? I’ve been look at meistershaft.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you can listen to some in person, that's your best bet. I have Tubi Rumore exhaust, no valves. I love the sound, but there are many others out there. It' pretty loud, not ridiculous, but a quality sound. When driving normally, it's at a comfortable level, until you hit the gas. It sounds great inside the car without any cabin drone when cruising.

·
Registered
736 Posts
VF provides very detailed instructions, I think it's always user error. I've never had issues.

I have Avior exhaust, on my 3rd one, love them!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went with VF For the simple fact of just flashing back and forth. The instructions are detailed and easy to follow. I don’t have dyno numbers but I definitely feel the difference... I did not want to have to remove my ECU’s or anything like that....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its actually quite simple. Its just a newer flashing device for the gen1 that allows access to the ECU through the port. I has been availabl for the gen2/huracan for a few years now. Its th same tool that VF, VIVID and other companies use. FRIELING RACING GROUP

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
12 Posts
I have a 2014 Audi R8 V10 stock and wanted add some power without going supercharger or TT. Not ready for exhaust yet until I figure out an ecu situation. A lot of people have told me APR or GIAC but look at VRtune that shows 600 hp on a stage 2 and can be done at home through the ODBII port vs sending of whole ecu. Need some good advice without spending a bunch of money at this point but still be able to stay a daily comfortable driver.
I was debating the exact same thing this week. I think I’m going with the VR tune, but someone told me to go Stage 1 only, unless I make a few hardware changes too. But I’m really not sure. How’s your experience been so far now that you’ve had it done? Any issues with Stage 2 without any hardware changes? I redline on a daily basis so I’m a little hesitant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was debating the exact same thing this week. I think I’m going with the VR tune, but someone told me to go Stage 1 only, unless I make a few hardware changes too. But I’m really not sure. How’s your experience been so far now that you’ve had it done? Any issues with Stage 2 without any hardware changes? I redline on a daily basis so I’m a little hesitant
I’ve only added intake sleeves and k&n filter replacement and the stage 2 is great, had it on about 2 weeks and so far I’m really enjoying it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s great to hear! What have you noticed most of all after the tune?
It’s a bit louder and I’m loosing traction at the start when I get on it. Didn’t do that before so a big difference in low end torque. Better throttle response also. Really happy with it and doing a longer drive this weekend to really open her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s a bit louder and I’m loosing traction at the start when I get on it. Didn’t do that before so a big difference in low end torque. Better throttle response also. Really happy with it and doing a longer drive this weekend to really open her up.
Call and talk to Tyler at vivid racing. Good guy and they will discount it if you ask. I’m not a mechanic at all but I did this tune myself and it was too easy and at my house, took about 35-40 minutes to install. Super easy.

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
12 Posts
Call and talk to Tyler at vivid racing. Good guy and they will discount it if you ask. I’m not a mechanic at all but I did this tune myself and it was too easy and at my house, took about 35-40 minutes to install. Super easy.
That’s amazing! How much % discount does he give??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts