Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think that it is a very fair write up, most people would expect the Porsche to really stand out on performance alone. Remember they have had 40 years to develop this model. So, Audi with just say 4 years have given a new line of competition to the old blower. Given another 4 years we can only hope and believe that ultimately we will end up with a much more matched super car.

All I can say as a current 911 Turbo dirver - lets ring in the changes, real competition will only bring greater benefits to us the customer.

As my school teacher always said to me "Pretty good first effort, but you must try harder if you wish to reach your full potential" By the way I am still trying:D :D :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to say this, but IMHO R8 is not competitor for 997 turbo at all.
Why?
First, few facts-997 turbo(manual with optional LSD) is more then 10s faster on the Ring then R8. Second-on every road, wet or dry 997 turbo will be the faster car, in fact a lot faster car.
Do not get me wrong here, I like R8 a lot. I order one and I think that it is excellent sportscar, but 997 turbo beater it is NOT.

BTW, I also ordered 997 turbo a long side with R8...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree that the R8 and 997Turbo are not really ... 'direct competition' ... but it is inevitable that they will be lined up against each other ... when the V10 arrives it will be interesting to see if people still line it up against the 997Turbo ... when chances are there will be little difference on paper in terms of acceleration ... which is where the 997Turbo trounces the V8 powered R8.

I'm not so sure the 997Turbo will be much quicker on short jaunts over 'interesting' roads ... the R8 has better cornering grip and carries a higher speed through the bends, as the article reports ... admittedly the 997Turbo will catch up pretty quickly on anything remotely like a straight ... but the article goers on to say the R8 allows you to step over the limit and pull it back ... whereas the 997Turbo is not so forgiving once the line is crossed, which for the average driver would likely mean an off road experience ... I suspect the average driver may therefore get more confidence from the R8 than they would the 997Turbo ... possibly enabling them to better the Porsche's time over a twisty stretch of road ... although once the twisty stuff runs out the R8 would inevitably get passed by the 997Turbo and have to play catch up if the road started to get twisty again.

I think the article seemed pretty good ... and I am sure the debate will continue in other articles and forums ... but with the 997Turbo bettering the R8 round the 'ring ... it will ultimately be faster over any road with a balanced mix of power on and power off ... although I'm sure I will still love every minute I am behind the wheel of my R8 ... even if it is watching a 997Turbo pull away from me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Not sure if I've read the C&D article before now ... so thanks for posting it up R8chris :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts