Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm enjoying a Saturday in my garage with the R8 changing the OEM pads to Carbotech XP8's. The rear OEM pads have a sensor built into them with a wire that leads to a connector a few inches away, the new pads do not have the sensor or wire. I'm assuming I can just disconnect the OEM wire at the connector, seal up the open connector so dirt doesn't get in, and not worry about it.

Not sure what the sensor does, put no one else has mentioned it on these threads that I can find, so I'm guessing I can live without it.

There's no similar sensor on the front pads.

Advice?

Thanks

JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you will find that there is a similar sensor on the upper, inside pad in the LHF caliper as well. They are purely "low pad" warning indicators and the warning light on the dash can be easily avoided when using aftermarket pads(without sensor) by bridging the two wires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I did. I snipped the wire near the pad and then checked for continuity across the wires for the sensor in the pad. It is a closed circuit. So back on the car I soldered the two loose ends of the wire together to show the computer a closed circuit, and neatly wrapped/wire tied everything away.

When driving the car I got no warning about the brakes.

I bedded in the Carbotechs as they recommended (except I didn't have a track handy so had to do it on deserted country roads). At first the pads squealed like Mini Mouse on her honeymoon, but they seemed to go completely quiet by the time I finished the bedding in process. Haven't driven the car again since then - will see if they stay quite on my next time out (probably tonight).

And oh yes, the grip was incredible once bedded in - definitely at the limit of my P-Zeros. I'm running at Watkins Glenn in a couple weeks. That will be the real test.

JR

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes jr, that's exactly what I did, on both my GTI and R8. The way it works is the wire is encased in the pad, and when the pad wears way down the wire gets ground to nothing and the circuit opens. So just short out the wires at the connector. I keep an eye on my pads, and don't need the sensor. My worry is that I'll take it to the dealer, who will change out the pads and throw away my custom modified connector!

The R8 has a tricky way to rotate the connector there to get it off the car easier. Were you able to figure that out?

So I guess Danny fixed the R8 pads to fit properly. That's good.

mt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't able to figure out that connector, although I thought it probably needed to be rotated. Instead of taking it off I simply snipped the brake pad side of the wire while still on the car and soldered/sealed it there.

No, Danny didn't fix the pads. Like you I had to grind out the small keyhole on all of the front pads, just a little bit, to fit properly.

MT - with that being said thank you for all your advice/posts on this subject in various threads. You made my job a lot easier and quicker and I really appreciate it. In particular the solution for accessing and then covering the master cylinder was brilliant - I did exactly the same mod with the same hole cutter and $1.99 cap.

JR

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
You're welcome JR. Glad my effort is of use, I've benefited a lot from several forums like this and like to give back a little.

I hope Danny does make a change to those pads. It's not clear when you ordered them vs. when I told him about the problem. Carbotech's compounds are very good, but they are a very small company - like 3 people - Danny, the technician who builds the pads, and a secretary from what I hear. It's tough for them to keep up. You can always pay the big bucks and go foreign and get PAGID pads, they are very high quality. But hopefully Danny will fix it. It would help if you complained to him.

mt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts