Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery today of my new R8 -- phenomenal. An absolutely phenomenal car.

However, I've had one odd thing occur. During my initial drive, I switched back and forth between the sport and non-sport setting on the magnetic suspension, and everything worked fine.

When I took the car out again about an hour later, I plugged my cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter socket. When I cranked the car, the magnetic suspension warning light came on and I got the malfunction warning tone. I could not switch the system between sport and non-sport setting.

I turned the car off and then back on to see if it reset. It did not.

I then stopped at a restaurant with the warning light still on. When I came out, I decided to unplug the cell phone charger before starting the car. This time the magnetic suspension system returned to normal operation.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
347 Posts
congrats!!

The car is telling you not to talk to anyone but just drive drive drive. Don't try to pick up the phone when you drive either!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Weird.....

I use a charger all the time. No problem.

Try another charger, and see if the same thing happens.

One other thought. When the ignition is off, there is no power available at the lighter socket. Power only comes on with ignition on. Perhaps when you turn the ignition on and crank the engine it interprets the unexpected power drain as a fault.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hmp10,
Congratulation! Can you give us a comparison between the R8 and your SL55 as I am coming from a CL55 myself.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you give us a comparison between the R8 and your SL55 as I am coming from a CL55 myself.
I got home a couple of hours ago from a 900-mile drive bringing the car home to Chicago from the dealer in Vermont. I spent the first 600 miles or so on wonderful New England back roads so that I could break the engine in carefully by running the engine up and down through the rev range (but no higher than 6000 rpm) before putting it on a freeway for driving at more sustained speeds.

In terms of handling, the car is in an entirely different league from the SL55. The R8 simply has a tautness and precision to the chassis that cannot be found in the MB. Steering inputs yield much more precise responses at the road, and steering feedback is vastly better.

Although I have not yet run the R8 up above 6000 rpm, the R8 feels quicker than the SL55. Even though the MB is 800 pounds heavier than the R8, it is considerably more powerful (493 hp and 516 lb/ft of torque) . . . by a margin that should easily offset the extra weight. Yet the R8 felt quicker.

I checked quarter mile times posted on DragTimes.com and found that R8's and SL55's regularly test about the same, with R8's posting both slightly faster and slightly slower numbers than the SL55's.

Basically, I figure I've now got a car that's at least as fast as the SL55, but that handles considerably better. (Also, passengers who know both cars find the R8 more comfortable. As the driver, though, I find the MB is bit more comfortable. And, as I use both cars as a commuter, the better interior storage spaces and cupholders of the MB are more appealing.)

Now . . . here's an update on the electronic gremlins in the magnetic ride feature. The warning light first came on within two hours of taking delivery on the car. The next morning, it was gone and the system was again switching between normal and sport modes properly. I dropped by the dealer as I hit the road for the drive back to Chicago, anyway, and he told me it was probably just due to the unusual cold (-8F). So I hit the road. But about a half hour later the warning light came back on, and the system would again not switch between modes. That remained the case for the next 11 hours, always showing a malfunction warning when I recranked the car after a rest stop.

Then late that night, the warning light went off and has remained off (at least for the next 16 hours . . . i. e., as I write this.)

I can detect no pattern in what else is going on when the system is working or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Now . . . here's an update on the electronic gremlins in the magnetic ride feature. The warning light first came on within two hours of taking delivery on the car. The next morning, it was gone and the system was again switching between normal and sport modes properly. I dropped by the dealer as I hit the road for the drive back to Chicago, anyway, and he told me it was probably just due to the unusual cold (-8F). So I hit the road. But about a half hour later the warning light came back on, and the system would again not switch between modes. That remained the case for the next 11 hours, always showing a malfunction warning when I recranked the car after a rest stop.

Then late that night, the warning light went off and has remained off (at least for the next 16 hours . . . i. e., as I write this.)

I can detect no pattern in what else is going on when the system is working or not.
Once the system sees a fault, it is necessary for the fault to be cleared with the Audi computer or it will reoccur randomly. I changed wheels (factory R8 wheels, chrome) and the reset required the Audi computer. Even with the computer the reset was not accepted under the US settings, so we used "Rest of the World" setting and all has been well since. The system is susposed to accept and hold two sets of TPMS id's (individually unique to each TPMS) which is to date not the case. Only one set being held in my R8. My R8 tech is researching and will advise me when he has an answer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only one set being held in my R8. My R8 tech is researching and will advise me when he has an answer.
Thanks . . . and please let me know what your tech tells you. I, too, have aftermarket wheels and tires for winter driving (purchased through and installed by the Audi dealer). They told me they had successfully programmed the second set of wheels into the car's TPMS, but based on your post I'm now wondering whether the system retained the programming for the factory set. The service manager said it did . . . but I guess I won't really know until I put on the summer set in a few months.

And thanks for the tip about resetting the computer to clear out the fault code on the suspension malfunction. I wish the dealer had told me that when I stopped by on my way out of town to see if they thought they should do anything about it before I hit the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts