Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think leaving the Rings off front and rear is creating unwanted attention.Yesterday at San Clemente Beach an old lady in a bikini asked me to roll down my window. I did and she said dont worry I am not going to ask you for money...What kind of car is this ? :eek: :D :) :confused:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I havent seen the car without the emblems on so not sure what would look best but i'd keep them on just to keep old ladies in bikini's away ;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black or chrome ? ( my car,jet blue,Just took off all tint on lights for the Concorso Aug 14th). :) You are VERY right about the symmetry thing !! :) This is the best forum for feedback. Good looking out!!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Hopefully I will have some new picts of stock chrome emblems compared to new black ones (and Audi Smoked V10 taillights). I know I have seen the black emblems on a black R8 in a video semi-recently (pretty sure it was a kreissieg exhaust video and the taillights were blacked out (too dark for me) too).

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SD ...either chrome or black would look killer on your ride!! (Gloss black or matteblack?) I am leaning towards Chrome or BLACK chrome to match my wheels. :) I really like what you are doing with your R8. It's VERY individualised !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Will call Audi to see if they have black chrome for me.:)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I am going for gloss black.
I am pretty sure Audi does not offer the badges in anything but normal chrome. Most people usually get a new set and have them done in a new color by a paint shop or spray them themselves. You can take your original set off and do them, but so still need to redo the adhesive/tape. You could always ask the place you had your wheels black chromed at, what they would recommend to do to get some plastic pieces to match.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered new chrome ones.The old ones I painted Black and are useless now as the factory adhesive is the best. Will try the smaller 7 inch emblem(front one) on the front and rear. Rear should be larger but will try smaller one for now. Chrome to go with the shine of headlights and exhaust tips.Just peeled tint off headlights and am loving it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get so much attention from people who never knew the car existed. I think having the emblems on the car avoids lots of "what kind of car is that?" I prefer answering questions from people who are excited about the car because they already know what kind of car it is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's flat black for you. Ordered a new set, front and rear, did them myself with 2 coats black plus 2 coats flat clear. If you do them yourself, remember to scotch-brite them so the paint adheres to the chrome. otherwise it will peel.
The clearcoat helps them survive wash-n-wax.

Installed them and they look great with the black car... they look especially tasty at night. Questions?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice... any other special black peices? You ready for concorso?? :) I just ordered new chrome ones but will try the smaller front size on rear.Think it will look wrong ? Then when I find some Black Chrome ones I'll know what size looks best. Leaving the R 8 off since I misplaced the 8 anyways!! :) And wait 'till yuo see SDR8s' Phantom Black...You guys will look awesome alongside each other. His with Gloss Black emblems.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's flat black for you. Ordered a new set, front and rear, did them myself with 2 coats black plus 2 coats flat clear. If you do them yourself, remember to scotch-brite them so the paint adheres to the chrome. otherwise it will peel.
The clearcoat helps them survive wash-n-wax.

Installed them and they look great with the black car... they look especially tasty at night. Questions?

Prefer the "R8" off but that does look really good! I am not sure it would look that good on any of the lighter colors.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I removed the 'R8' but left the rings front and back. I think the 'R8' ruins the symmetry and kind of cheapens the look. I'd also remove the V10 badge on the new one.

No need for anything to show but the rings. It's an Audi, and a special one. Nothing else needs to be said.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
NFS13 has a different but good idea there. Does Audi sell little cans of spray on touch up paint in our colors?? :) How 'bout a body color matching GLOSS ?? And maybe my calipers in my Jet blue color ?? Was thinking hammertone silver calipers for the Concorso Italiano Aug 14th in Monterey California. But my R8 has very little chrome up front or back.Changed my front grill to the PPI carbon fibre one. Chrome rings 'kinda go with the headlights which are brighter than chrome and rear is those four exhaust rings!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
NFS13 has a different but good idea there. Does Audi sell little cans of spray on touch up paint in our colors?? :) How 'bout a body color matching GLOSS ?? And maybe my calipers in my Jet blue color ?? Was thinking hammertone silver calipers for the Concorso Italiano Aug 14th in Monterey California. But my R8 has very little chrome up front or back.Changed my front grill to the PPI carbon fibre one. Chrome rings 'kinda go with the headlights which are brighter than chrome and rear is those four exhaust rings!!
if you paint your calipers, don't you have to use some kind of heat resistant paint?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Touch your calipers after a hard run ...you will see that they don't get very hot at all. probably because the stock wheels send alot of cool air through.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts