Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving my car down the road when i made a left turn as i accelerated I heard a loud pop sound almost like a gunshot and i lost throttle power it seemed then i looked behind me and the whole engine bay was fogged up. Pulled over asap and there is a clear fluid all over the place and on my rear glass where it splattered. Looks like the area it came from was the left side under the mesh area of the car next to the engine.

EPC light is on and check engine light came on. Luckily was right around the corner and got the car home to safety. Being towed to the dealer as soon as truck arrives. Any thoughts the service man thinks there is transmission lines in that area and the fluid is crystal clear and does not smell like power steering fluid or brake fluid. Any thought would be much appreciated

Sorry for the rant

2015 r8 v8 s tronic

Thanks guys luckily i have audi car

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
clear liquid ! sounds like water leak from bursting expansion tank. Is the fluid oily to the touch?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes the fluid is oily to the touch Funny you said that I just had that recall done about 1 month ago. hmmm

the fluid seemed like all oil but just clear if that makes sense. had a faint smell to it.

Juts looked at car the leak i believe came from the opposite side the expansion tank is on

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Right side on my V8, final test would be to taste it (old fashioned method), if it's sweet it's water with glycol anti-freeze in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm i never checked that I had just turned the air on a few seconds before it happened you might be on to something. Didn't check the air if it was still working of course the car just left lol

20190628_152408[2899].jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you said that I told the driver I wish it was getting delivered to me like they do on youtube haha

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Mine did 3000kms on an open flatbed when it was delivered - not a pretty sight at all ! but looked good the next day after a bath.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Does anyone have a place to source a new power steering fluid cap mine someone decided to over tighten it with probably pliers and cracked the logo on top that was aluminum. Its still works find just looks bad Noticed it today when I was cleaning all the fluid :mad: No luck on ebay ecs tunning etc

Also when you shut the glass hatch does anyone know the rubber part that makes contact with the car when the hatch closes mine is beat up.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does anyone have a place to source a new power steering fluid cap mine someone decided to over tighten it with probably pliers and cracked the logo on top that was aluminum. Its still works find just looks bad Noticed it today when I was cleaning all the fluid :mad: No luck on ebay ecs tunning etc

Also when you shut the glass hatch does anyone know the rubber part that makes contact with the car when the hatch closes mine is beat up.
IIRC on so many R8s the PS cap seems to turn too much when closing it, and then it's incredibly difficult to open, something to do with the seal on it failing I think. When closed the cap should look straight in the engine bay if that makes sense, not twisted. It still does the job but looks a little untidy like that and is ****ed stiff to open. Only fix is a brand new cap but they're not as cheap as they should be of course...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same trouble. Used two pieces of wood to rotate it off. Discovered if you tighten the cap until it lines up horizontally like the oil cap, there is a slight detent. The seal is tight and it's then easy to remove.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So by the time the tow truck got to the dealer it was 5pm the Dealer called me and said the Tec looked it over and it looks like it was an air conditioning line that blew. He said they are going to go over all the lines and make sure no other lines are bad have to wait till monday as the R8 Tec only works on Mon - Friday. DaveL you where right about AC lol :) And it makes sense as I turned my AC on about 10 seconds before it blew.

Having a bad day today So far my car is in the shop and then I get news that one of my Favorite Crypto currencys Solarcoin is being delisted from its main exchange. Its funny because Thats where I made profits from a few years back to buy the car in the first place lol

Thanks guys for all the help ill keep you posted when I pick the car up. :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Having a bad day today So far my car is in the shop and then I get news that one of my Favorite Crypto currencys Solarcoin is being delisted from its main exchange. Its funny because Thats where I made profits from a few years back to buy the car in the first place lol
Ha! I'm old school. Sold some Apple stock back in the day to join the club with my first "fancy" car.

We actually have a few miners at work that we cash out once in a while to buy things at work that don't fall under any budget line.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got update from dealer today looks like the AC line blew and then hit my wire connector for the secondary air system and the connector for the intake flap motors.

I wonder if just the connectors can be replaced or does a entire new unit need to be ordered.

Audi pure care he is going to get a hold of tomorrow do you guys think it will be covered since the AC line hit into these wires

1 - 20 of 26 Posts