Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 V8 that only has 24k miles on it. One random day it just started running super rough at idle after pulling out of a parking spot. Multiple engine lights came on and drove it home. I had to trailered to the dealership and they found that one of the rockers broke and part of the valve broke off and melted into the cylinder. They said a complete engine swap is the only fix. I'm not able to swing a new engine now so sounds like I will be trying to sell my car as is if anyone wants to fix it themselves. I just put 4 brand new shocks this summer on top of it also, just sucks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. That’s terrible. I know most say the car is reliable however, I hear a lot of stories of parts, engine failure... is this specific the the R 8? I have had 3 audis and all have been great...( not the r8 though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow sorry to hear man, this is our worst nightmare...

Did you take it to different shop to get another opinion about your options?

·
Registered
622 Posts
What a **** shame for you and only 24K you state. I hope you can find another remedy other that selling the car at a huge loss/discount. These engines do pop up on various sties from time to time so that might be another option for you. They are not common to "breakers / junk" yards but someone on here might be able to provide you a lead if that is a route you would consider.

A couple of questions:
1) Are you the original owner?
2) If not how long have you owned the car?
3) The car has been serviced at regular intervals?

While your mileage is considered low when considering its nearly 12 years old I wonder if this has anything to do with its failure. I'm a real believer a car should be driven quite regularly especially a car like the R8. Thus the reason for my questions. A car sitting for long periods I believe can cause certain types of seal failures etc.

Again, I wish you luck with hopes you are able to find a cost effective solution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If that's truly the case that the engine dropped a valve into the bore you'll be looking at having to open up the block and replacing the piston as well as any valvetrain work. Depending on if you can source a replacement longblock and at what price, straight-up replacing the engine might be the cheaper, more simple solution. If you decide to sell, how much would you be looking to get for it?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not a common rebuild. I always thought to myself that if anything happens to my engine that I would look to see if Underground Racing does any rebuild work. They do build modified engines for our cars, and I'm sure they are not cheap. But, it may be worth a phone call to them to see if they can offer any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Massive task to rebuild & if cylinder damage has occurred (highly likely) then a rebore all round will be needed. Effectively a complete & very expensive overhaul. I feel your pain my friend. I have an 2008 v8 with an almost identical mileage 24k so your plight is definitely concerning!
I'm a garage owner (UK) & I'm in a bit more of a fortunate position being a mechanic, but it's certainly not a job for the faint hearted to undertake!
Curious what your service history has been prior to the fault occurring? Do you stick with a rigid annual oil change, or do you only go by mileage elapsed & what oils have you used in the past?
Don't be too downhearted mate! The car hasn't been destroyed in a crash, everything else is presumably still in good condition? It could be far worse in the big scheme of things. Like previous comments I think a replacement 2nd hand engine would be the best option to pursue. Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have owned it for 2yrs. I bought it from another person in Florida, I am the 2nd owner. I drove it as much as I could and definitely had it serviced as it should. I talked to another car builder and he agreed that it would cheaper to just buy another engine.
I'm planning on selling it for $20,000, it is a manual, black paint with the red leather interior, audi exclusive package. I love it but can't swing the rebuild right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
$35k sounds about right for a replacement.
I‘m sure a 24k mile manual with a new engine is worth more than $55k. Depending on the state of the rest of the car, I would think $70k when fixed (there is a 2009 red 24k manual for sale near me for $72k).
If you can find the cash, it might be the best way to go (do the engine and then sell on).
Manuals don’t tend to hang around.

·
Registered
666 Posts
FUDGE! so sorry to hear this bud...what an effing nightmare! honestly for $20K just keep the car...it's a gated manual! save some money and have that $35k work done...you won't be sorry. if it takes you 2yrs to get it fixed bec of the funds then that's ok. this gated type 42 will always be a collector's car....

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
We've seen a few V8s go boom and a few V10s around here - it happens, unfortunately. My V10 went a few years back now - 16k miles and 3.5 years old at the time. It was a cracked valve that took out the block. I'm the original owner, and the car was under warranty thankfully - $55k repair bill.

I'd look to source a used engine if new isn't an option. They should be readily available, and it's much better than selling the car way under value to bargain hunters.

For other owners - a solid reminder that (a) cars depreciate but parts and service don't, and (b) while you can hope for the best, you need to plan for the worst. An exotic car can come with some exotic expenses if the worst comes to pass, so a warranty or sufficient funds in the bank are really the only fool-proof options. Engine failures are still pretty uncommon, but we do see a handful of them every year on this forum it seems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts