·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
Hi

The standard flywheel weighs 4.6 kg

Tom
Hi,

Hmmm, Interesting, everywhere I've seen quotes, 4.9kg when new.
Either way 1.6 or 1.9 kg is a lot of weight to lose from, just, the flywheel.

The Total (4.388 kg) break down is; 2.398kg from the Clutch/pressure plate and 1.990kg from the Flywheel.

Clutch plates and pressure plate9.298S2: HT350 clutch model6.9002.398
Fly Wheel4.990Custom Flywheel3.001.990

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

Unfortunately the batteries of my large scale are empty and I can only weigh with mechanical scales. ( very unprecise ) The standard coupling weighs 7.6-7.8 kg and due to the construction I don't see much reduction.

I see the reduction on the flywheel as dangerous, as it loses strength and the balancing of all rotating parts has to be even more precise. We're talking about 8500 rpm.

Exact balancing to zero always means that the clutch and the flywheel are positioned when both parts are balanced to zero. If both parts are not installed in position, so
the balancing does not match to zero.

As a result, the flywheel can break at high speeds.

Just wondering where the clutch balancing holes are. The original coupling has holes (in the green circle), but your coupling does not.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Hi,

Hmmm, Interesting, everywhere I've seen quotes, 4.9kg when new.
Either way 1.6 or 1.9 kg is a lot of weight to lose from, just, the flywheel.
Hi

Unfortunately the batteries of my large scale are empty and I can only weigh with mechanical scales. ( very unprecise ) The standard coupling weighs 7.6-7.8 kg and due to the construction I don't see much reduction.

I see the reduction on the flywheel as dangerous, as it loses strength and the balancing of all rotating parts has to be even more precise. We're talking about 8500 rpm.

Exact balancing to zero always means that the clutch and the flywheel are positioned when both parts are balanced to zero. If both parts are not installed in position, so

Tom
Hi,

You have fair point, but Sean makes clutches that go into cars built by Underground racing, so I think he knows what he's doing. Also I had the same conversation with him and he will not compromise with safety or quality. Also I'll be going to around 10,000 rpm

You're right, I've made a mistake. I've just checked (P no: 079141011E) at oemvwworkshop.com and the weight is 8.57kg for the clutch pack. So the weight loss should be 3.66 kg, I'll weigh the pack when it's out, if it's still above 8.17 kg, I'll know I'm right, when comparing new to new.

Clutch plates and pressure plate8.570HT350 clutch model6.9001.670-19%
Fly Wheel4.990Custom Flywheel3.0001.990-40%

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Hi

Just wondering where the clutch balancing holes are. The original coupling has holes (in the green circle), but your coupling does not.

View attachment 261833

Tom

·
Vendor
294 Posts
Hi

View attachment 261833

Tom
Hi Tom,

LA88AT has the same HT350 as yours. Our HT350 has no balancing holes because it's zero balanced.

We use higher strength steel for our lightweight flywheel. That makes it possible to design a flywheel that uses less steel but it's stronger than OEM flywheel. In testing, our lightweight flywheel scored higher in Rockwell hardness scale than an OEM flywheel. We have used our lightweight flywheels in our 1400-1800 hp Underground Gallardo and R8 customers without any issues.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
WPC'd
Pistons, Cam, Rings and Wrist Pins (Crank to follow). The visual difference is best seen on the CAM as I had the QR code masked prior to treatment, so that I could identify the cams if they got mixed up.
I have noticed that the wrist pins slide into the pistons, smoother, so friction is definitely reduced. The Phosphate coating on the piston has also been dulled, it's now a light grey instead of the previous deep grey/black. My research has shown that WPC'ing all the main contact parts should yield gains of upto 5%, which is huge. Even in current form, this could free up another 30hp without any other mods and it's purely due to the reduction of friction.

ISF REM
Vibro processing the Springs (before gold and after Silver), Valves and collets have been lightly ISF (REM). I may send the springs back for another treatment as I requested the lightest possible process, to remove the minimum amount of material needed to gain benefits. Looking at the springs maybe I was too cautious a more intensive process would have removed the dimples.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
The last picture is the final weight of crank (only) after balancing.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I assume that weight includes the flywheel?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
OEM Crank 24.940 PPM 5.2 23.700 Saved 1.240 kg
Clutch plates and pressure plate 8.140 HT350 clutch model 6.900 Saved 1.240 kg
Fly Wheel 4.990 HT350 clutch model 3.000 Saved 1.990 kg
8 Harmonic Damper Bolts 0.126 Titanium 0.074 Saved 0.052 kg
9 Clutch Flywheel Bolt 0.180 Titanium Bolts 0.086 Saved 0.095 kg

Total saving: 4.616 kg

+ the savings from, CCB's, Wheel nuts, hub bolts and nuts, drive shaft bolts, cams, cam bolts, valves, valve springs, valve retainers, rods and pistons saved a total of (moving/rotating parts) 21.902 kg.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Crank 24.940 PPM 5.2 23.700 Saved 1.240 kg
Clutch plates and pressure plate 8.140 HT350 clutch model 6.900 Saved 1.240 kg
Fly Wheel 4.990 HT350 clutch model 3.000 Saved 1.990 kg
8 Harmonic Damper Bolts 0.126 Titanium 0.074 Saved 0.052 kg
9 Clutch Flywheel Bolt 0.180 Titanium Bolts 0.086 Saved 0.095 kg

Total saving: 4.616 kg

+ the savings from, CCB's, Wheel nuts, hub bolts and nuts, drive shaft bolts, cams, cam bolts, valves, valve springs, valve retainers, rods and pistons saved a total of (moving/rotating parts) 21.902 kg.
That is a good saving particularly from rotational mass.

Reactions: V10MANUAL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 · (Edited)
That is a good saving particularly from rotational mass.
I'm hoping it will make a big difference, especially when combined with the total current (calculated) weight loss being 109.194 kg less than when I started. I think there is another kg to be found without carving up the car. Not to mention the final predicted jump in hp.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts