Audi R8 Forums banner
161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

I wouldn't want to install AMS either.

One thing is for sure, the intake manifold from the 4S can be installed on 42 V10 and thus also AMS or GTT.

What needs to be rebuilt is the front part where the TB will be mounted on when using the large TB from the 812.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
1,034 Posts
Hi, I think Tom's conversion to V10 TB's on the Audi V8 inlet manifold is the closest you will get. The reference above uses the (Bosch) 812 TB's, the inlet manifold in the link is designed for the V10 and not a conversion. I doubt any of the proprietary Ferrari parts will fit.
you should check out Boost logic intake manifolds. Or AMS. They make these beefed up manifolds for the twin turbo systems on R8’s and Huracans pushing massive HP. I should say for the Gen 2 R8. It sure if they fit a Gen 1

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

.You should keep in mind that a turbocharged engine does not need a good intake manifold as the air is pushed in. On a naturally aspirated engine, a funnel-shaped intake manifold for the intake pipe to each cylinder is critical to the cylinder's performance. The GTT intake manifold fulfills this.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 · (Edited)
"NG-Motorsports.de" Head work
I was curious to see the various stages of transformation, so they sent me some pictures.
Pictures one, two and five were taken before they were shipped to Germany.

They should be back with Ricky by the end of next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wow.... thorough! What did that set you back? $$

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 · (Edited)
Wow.... thorough! What did that set you back? $$
All I can say is, "it could have been more"
I decided not to go with the bronze valve seats. NG have several Heat ratings for the Valve guides and seats. As I'm not adding turbos I went for a new set of standard valves seats, barring that they have applied their Race approved specs to the heads.

Race approved Cylinder heads (work list):
Closing holes in the intake ports
New seat ring for oversize valve on intake/exhaust side
CNC-porting intake and exhaust ports
CNC-machining combustion chambers
New Ultra flow valve guide (Bronze alloy) incl. VHM reaming on Rottler SG7
New seat ring for oversize valve on intake/exhaust side, sintered steel
CNC-machining seat rings with multi angle valve job
Seat ring blending
Skimming Head face
NG-Motorsports valve stem seals

Hopefully they can send me the pictures of the final few stages prior to assembly.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

I very much doubt that using different intake and exhaust valves with heavier valve springs will increase performance.
Audi has done everything it can in the recent past to trim its prestigious V10 engine for maximum performance.
It would have been a lot cheaper to take the 4S V10 cylinder heads and classify the valve springs. (all springs equal force)
The supercharged engine needs stiffer valve springs like the ones you are using as the boost pressure would open the intake valves, but this is not necessary on a naturally aspirated engine.

The intake ports of the 4S cylinder heads have been milled to focus the air on the intake valve gap, this can be seen in the picture.

Where there is no dirt on the wall, the guided air flows perfectly to the gap of the valve.

@LA88AT Changes have also been made on the outlet port side, you know that?

Fluid Eyelash Food Close-up Metal

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive design Hood

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
Hey,
Your statement/view may be correct, but if we didn't experiment and try to improve on what the manufacturers produced none of us would be here.
As you know the spring rates have been increased because I'm raising the RPM and as I track the car it will see the higher RPM a lot more than a standard road car. In my opinion the OEM springs are not stiff enough, this was also confirmed when I remove the original springs and they felt more like fitting springs. I was able to starts compress them with my hands.

As for the head work, porting has been proven time and time again. Manufacturers have a much larger brief to fill "I only have three" Drivability, Power and Torque.
To the untrained eye (mine), barring the cut out for the injector, the 42 and 4S inlet ports look the same. I feel that more flow is always better, providing you don't sacrifice velocity.
If I were to make any changes to my formula, the only thing I would consider would be to leaving the exhaust valve the same size as OEM, but I'd still enlarging the Inlet. This may encourage a little more speed and scavenging on the exhaust side, but this is just a theory. Also.... I have had the same feedback from a few head tuning companies, they claim that the gains on the V10 heads are significant. This information topped with the reputation of NG-motorsports, leaves me feeling confident.

When all is said and done I'm committed now, so I have to trust the math and hope that the unknown (to me) variables are in my favour. :unsure:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi @LA88AT

So you don't know why Audi made changes to the exhaust valve, that's bad.

The change causes the engine to rev faster and the cylinders to be emptied of exhaust gas more quickly.

Then you don't know that Audi / Lambo also uses titanium intake valves for the 640 hp engine.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Hi @LA88AT

So you don't know why Audi made changes to the exhaust valve, that's bad.

The change causes the engine to rev faster and the cylinders to be emptied of exhaust gas more quickly.

Then you don't know that Audi / Lambo also uses titanium intake valves for the 640 hp engine.

Tom
Hi,

Sorry I wasn't clear, yes I'm aware of all of the above, which is why my total valve train weight has been reduced by 267 grams, not quite as good as titanium but still a weight loss... Also I'm aware that Audi reduce the exhaust valve diameter and kept the valve seat the same diameter, thus why I said if I were to adjust anything , I would leave the exhaust valve the same and only increase the Inlet valve. With the additional flow I now have it should replicate Audi flow characteristics.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi @LA88AT

The levers that actuate the valves are the reason why Audi provides little force to the valve springs of the high-revving engine.
If the force is too high, material fractures can occur in the area of the roll where the pin holds the roll.
Because the lobes on the shaft are rounded rather than pointed, the valve does not have to follow the cam profile with much force like pointed cams, which operate a bucket tappet and require high spring forces, or the valves will fly.

Audi has changed the levers for operating the valves on the 640hp engine.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Hi
Hi @LA88AT

The levers that actuate the valves are the reason why Audi provides little force to the valve springs of the high-revving engine.
If the force is too high, material fractures can occur in the area of the roll where the pin holds the roll.
Because the lobes on the shaft are rounded rather than pointed, the valve does not have to follow the cam profile with much force like pointed cams, which operate a bucket tappet and require high spring forces, or the valves will fly.

Audi has changed the levers for operating the valves on the 640hp engine.

Tom
Hi

What is the part number of the new levers for operating the valves, are they made from a different material??

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi

If you are considering operating my proposal with the GTT intake manifold and also want to use the Ferrari 812 TB, you should take the opportunity to get hold of the 812 TB cheaply.
There are two 812 TBs available on Ebay and you might not be able to get an 812 from Ferrari as a non-owner.

I don't share your wish to get to 750 HP, because the 134.5 HP/L only the Ferrari 458 Speziale has reached this value as a free suction vehicle. If you reach 134.5 HP/L, you are at 700HP with the V10 5.2L

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Hi

An acquaintance did some research last year and said that GTT comes from Russia.
If so, it's not surprising, since everything from Russia is boycotted.

Tom
I’m interested in the manifold as well and have found zero out there.
This is the company that actually made it for them "dk-lab.org"

161 - 180 of 180 Posts