Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I flipped the engine lid release switch behind the drivers seat and nothing. No sound from the rear. Checked the switch with a multimeter and the switch works.

Can someone point me in the right direction about fuses / relays that are related to this?

I've had a look for the emergency release cable but no sign of it. I may have to strip the trim out / rear carpeted shelf to try to find it. In my manual (UK) it says it's on the left side of the car which I assume is the passenger side. Other threads on here show that it's tucked into the trim / carpet behind the drivers door (US).

The only thing I've done in the last few days is to put a new battery on. Before that, a week or so ago, the engine lid switch opened the rear perfectly fine.

1. Can someone point me in the right direction about fuses / relays that are related to this?

2. Can someone confirm it is the passenger side (uk) that has the release cable on it before I start stripping the wrong side. The release switch is on the opposite side.

3. Any guidance for stripping out the plastic parts around the release cable and the rear shelf carpet would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well today I flipped the engine lid release switch behind the drivers seat and nothing. No sound from the rear. Checked the switch with a multimeter and the switch works.

Can someone point me in the right direction about fuses / relays that are related to this?

I've had a look for the emergency release cable but no sign of it. I may have to strip the trim out / rear carpeted shelf to try to find it. In my manual (UK) it says it's on the left side of the car which I assume is the passenger side. Other threads on here show that it's tucked into the trim / carpet behind the drivers door (US).

The only thing I've done in the last few days is to put a new battery on. Before that, a week or so ago, the engine lid switch opened the rear perfectly fine.

1. Can someone point me in the right direction about fuses / relays that are related to this?

2. Can someone confirm it is the passenger side (uk) that has the release cable on it before I start stripping the wrong side. The release switch is on the opposite side.

3. Any guidance for stripping out the plastic parts around the release cable and the rear shelf carpet would be appreciated.

Thanks
1. Fitting location - In front right footwell. 5 - Fuse carrier ST5, brown
Position of fuses on fuse holder B, up to May 2009.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zx6rfc2r0diyrvh/R8%20Overview%20of%20fuses%20%26%20Location.pdf?dl=0 Check page 4

2. Yep passenger side just behind seat.
Engine Bay Manual Release.jpg
Could be just up under the trim.?

Regards

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting that. Really helpful.

I have looked at the fusebox that is in the manual (in the passenger side footwell behind the flap). Is ST5 fusebox near to that?

I can see that there is a 10A fuse for (Rear lid central locking relay -J380- Rear lid release motor -V139-Fuse 2 on fuse holder B -SB2-)

Is this in a another fusebox layout near to this one?

2009 V8

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was under the impression that ST5 was the second from the bottom fuse carrier and the fuse second from the left - SB2 - where there is no fuse located in your image.!

There will be some variants in options fitted but all coupes you would think use the same fuse layout.!

Will keep looking.

Regards

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

The fuse box image I posted above is one I found (not mine) though mine looks basically the same.

ST5 on that fusebox (on mine) is row E. Row A is empty

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear panel removed, this is the only fuse panel I can see. Is there a second panel somewhere in the rear? The fuse sizes list don't match up with the 'rear lid fuse 10A'

·
Registered
741 Posts
Had a look at my manual for a 2013 and its as below, Fuse carrier B No 4 10A

I know not much use to you but would have thought that the fuse would still be in the same area.!

Fuse List Engine Lid Release.jpg

Also wonder if it's possible your manual was printed in 2007 and they never updated it. Would still think that it's in the foot well fuse board, Possibly combined with another.:confused:

Regards

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am so glad you posted that fuse pic. I just checked my owners manual.

I have been looking at a printed off fuse location diagram which was in the passenger footwell behind the flap.

When you posted that image I got my owners manual out and compared that with the printed sheet in the footwell.

Surprise surprise. Both were the same Row A all vacant, Row B the same, Row C the same, Row D the same, Row F the same.

Row E different!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sheet in the car says E2 vacant. Row E in the owners manual shows E2 is Engine lid 10A.

Oh well, I haven't opened the lid for ages. Now I remember fitting the dash cam a while ago and piggy backing a fuse and must have taken the lid fuse out thinking why is it there when it should be vacant.

I put a 10A in E2 and whoop de wooo the lid opened.

Thank you so much for taking time to look into this. If you hadn't posted the fuse pic I wouldn't have questioned the sheet in the fusebox (which is now in the bin) It's sorted....... Wonderful :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Great News.

Happy to help.:)

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts