Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is a oddity that I would appreciate some feedback on.

Whenever I am coasting to a redlight while I neutral (manual tran) the engine will blip the rpms from 800 rpms to about 1,050 every second or so until I reach standstill. This does not happen if I coast (foot off gas) in any gear but only if I am in neutral.

Please try and let me know if this is normal (and if so why) or whether I have an engine management issue that requires attention.

2009 R8 1,600 miles

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine who also has an 09 told me that his does not do this. He refers to it as "hunting" in idle. Oddly this only happens when I am coasting in neutral not when I am at a standstill.

ANYONE else care to weigh in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Aircon is normally the culprit, but you shouldn't be coasting in neutral, harder on the brakes - let the engine do the braking too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a 2009 and tried coasting with the clutch depressed - both in gear and in neutral. My RPM stays steady at slightly over 800 in both cases. I have AC on, but it may not be doing much since it is not that warm here now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am not sure what causes it, but we have had the odd car that has suffered from fluctuations at idle with the aircon on. Our A6 was fine til recently and now fluctuates wildly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts