Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know patience is a virtue, but the enough already - the cars have been tested, the ads are out, and hype is near climatic levels

Yet no firm base-level pricing, no firm launch dealer delivery dates, no non-UK option specs.

This is a painful, painful wait! - :) Hopefully I'm not the only anxious one.

The next month should hopefully bring us a good amount of information.

·
Registered
274 Posts
feelin your pain!!
but not sure that next month is gonna bring that much more news...

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dealer says the following, in an email today:

1) No order giudes yet, but Audi says it "may be' within a month.
2) No pricing guides for 2 - 3 months.
3) After order guides, pricing guides, then they get allocation.
4) After allocation comes ETA's.
5) Expect to get some cars by end of year....

Obviously, this is a bit frustrating.

This reinforces my belief that the purpose of this car is not to genuinely meet a need in the market, or a demand from customers. It's merely exists to raise the Audi brand, like the Bugatti Veryon exists as a symbol of technical achievement.

The R8's existence is a marketing strategy. No more, no less. Actual production is incidental and secondary.

This is a big, German auto company. Everything has been figured out for a long, long time. We are the subject of cold calculation, cannon fodder in a war to take on "M" series BMW and AMG at Mercedes. Expendable and readily replaceable, so many behind us ready to take our place. Infantry in a trench war.

What really is aggravating is that Audi has known for a long time:
1) How many cars they will make;
2) Who will get them when.

Our disappointment or frustration is thier last concern, and they are acting accordingly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
but pls all other, bear in mind that AudiAddict is from Cali.. US.. and we will get our cars most def this second quarter!! hopefully in beginning of that...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am from Turkey the info I get from my dealer is that the first R8 orders will certainly arrive in mid April. :) The total quote for Turkey is 10 cars for 2007 and already 5 of them is sold so far. İn the beginning of November Audi Turkey showed an ıce silver mustang brown interior Audi R8 with the ice silver side blades during the International Istanbul Auto Show so the car was all in one colored from outside. You would not notice the side blades that much.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am from Turkey the info I get from my dealer is that the first R8 orders will certainly arrive in mid April. :) The total quote for Turkey is 10 cars for 2007 and already 5 of them is sold so far. İn the beginning of November Audi Turkey showed an ıce silver mustang brown interior Audi R8 with the ice silver side blades during the International Istanbul Auto Show so the car was all in one colored from outside. You would not notice the side blades that much.:rolleyes:
i think i saw a movie on youtube of the istanbul show.. probably was you who shot it :cool: :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Silver and brown work. I have a Boxster S silver w/a brown top. Looks good. I can't wait to get rid of that cars as it's replacement is the R8.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Obviously, this is a bit frustrating. This reinforces my belief that the purpose of this car is not to genuinely meet a need in the market, or a demand from customers. It's merely exists to raise the Audi brand, like the Bugatti Veryon exists as a symbol of technical achievement.

The R8's existence is a marketing strategy. No more, no less. Actual production is incidental and secondary.

Our disappointment or frustration is thier last concern, and they are acting accordingly.
AA -
I'm somewhat in agreement with you...the delay in providing factual information to people who have/would make solid orders is a bit "bush league". Even Ferrari, who are infamous for their callous treatment of buyers, are more professional in terms of providing the information required to sign a contract (they just won't give you a car til you agree to their current "market pricing"). I guess I expected Audi would more completely have its act together by this time.......

Even with all of the positive "buzz" around the car, Audi should strive to avoid "flavor of the week" problems. There will soon be some other high-profile sports/supercar introduction, and the spotlights will shine somewhere else.

edit: gee, I hope this little rant doesn't delay my car into '09 or so.......

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't forget in the US we're still at least 7 months out from these cars appearing at the dealers. After leaving a deposit, my dealer bluntly told me "see you next August" as far as finalizing my order. We also have lots of resources available to the point I'm pretty sure there's very little I don't know about this car!
The only other not yet introduced car I preordered was a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe I used as a daily driver until last year. As I recall, that dealer DEFINITELY acted like he was doing me a big favor even putting me on his early allocation list. Forget about brochures or web site configurators. I eventually had to pick one already optioned as Infiniti was only shipping cars fully equipped, the only variables being NAV and the sport pkg. Even my final MSRP lease price had to wait until the car was delivered!
It was cool to be the first on the block, but simply strolling into the dealer a few months later knowing nothing about the car and they would have been begging for your business. (Hope this doesn't happen with the R8)

·
Registered
96 Posts
from Audi Addict

My dealer says the following, in an email today:

1) No order giudes yet, but Audi says it "may be' within a month.
2) No pricing guides for 2 - 3 months.
3) After order guides, pricing guides, then they get allocation.
4) After allocation comes ETA's.
5) Expect to get some cars by end of year....

Obviously, this is a bit frustrating.

This reinforces my belief that the purpose of this car is not to genuinely meet a need in the market, or a demand from customers. It's merely exists to raise the Audi brand, like the Bugatti Veryon exists as a symbol of technical achievement.

This is a big, German auto company. Everything has been figured out for a long, long time. We are the subject of cold calculation, cannon fodder in a war to take on "M" series BMW and AMG at Mercedes. Expendable and readily replaceable, so many behind us ready to take our place. Infantry in a trench war.

What really is aggravating is that Audi has known for a long time:
1) How many cars they will make;
2) Who will get them when.

I couldn't agree more... I was wondering if you had heard anything from Enrique. I spoke to him a week ago and got about the same info. Let's hope we'll hear something in the next 30-60 days!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The demand for this car is through the roof!!! Audi has to calculate final production costs before they can bring forth the pricing structure. Also, these are not assembly line cars, they are hand assembled. On top of that, the cars that everyone has seen or has videos of are not the final cars either. The R8 is still in R&D and a lot of revisons are still being done. Audi will not release this car as a POS. The wait is for a reason, and that reason is not the fail in the expectations of the customers.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The demand for this car is through the roof!!! Audi has to calculate final production costs before they can bring forth the pricing structure. Also, these are not assembly line cars, they are hand assembled. On top of that, the cars that everyone has seen or has videos of are not the final cars either. The R8 is still in R&D and a lot of revisons are still being done. Audi will not release this car as a POS. The wait is for a reason, and that reason is not the fail in the expectations of the customers.
I hope you are right that the examples to date are pre production and as such the final production models may come with improved spec and options.
One thing is for sure, production costs are known because in Europe we have published prices that are contractual.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pricing structure? The pricing structure is in our country already known en definitive since november 2006!?~:confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Pricing structure? The pricing structure is in our country already known en definitive since november 2006!?~:confused:
yes i dont understand the worry either.. i got a signed contract wiht pricing.. but what is meant for nederlands switzerland etc.. must not be valid for rhd countries..

·
Registered
40 Posts
In EU countries, yes. I believe it set at 105K Euros, but not in the US. As for the vehicles themself, I have seen the R&D thats still going on. Also, the US cars have many different specifications than the EU cars.

·
Registered
782 Posts
In EU countries, yes. I believe it set at 105K Euros, but not in the US. As for the vehicles themself, I am actually seeing the R&D right now.
Aha, for US!

But then the reason must be different then?

And what do you see at the R&D? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mainly the feedback from pro drivers. The automatic trans software is still being fine tuned. Feedback was the new software is 100 times better is speed of shifting and reaction. Its still not final though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mainly the feedback from pro drivers. The automatic trans software is still being fine tuned. Feedback was the new software is 100 times better is speed of shifting and reaction. Its still not final though.
BTW, regarding software for R-Tronic...

Do you know how many software updates were on F430(F1) or Gallardo(e-gear) since they are introduced?

4 on F430 and 3 on Gallardo! That's a lot IMHO!

BTW, did any of you heard news from Geneva regarding new BMW M3? No?

NO SMG in new M3! Only manual for first year then BMW will add new sport version of 7speed DSG tranny...

So, for BMW SMG seems to be dead...

·
Registered
40 Posts
BTW, regarding software for R-Tronic...

Do you know how many software updates were on F430(F1) or Gallardo(e-gear) since they are introduced?

4 on F430 and 3 on Gallardo! That's a lot IMHO!

BTW, did any of you heard news from Geneva regarding new BMW M3? No?

NO SMG in new M3! Only manual for first year then BMW will add new sport version of 7speed DSG tranny...

So, for BMW SMG seems to be dead...
One of the driver's stated to me that the R-Tronic blows the SMG away. He is actually buying an R8 after driving it for the events. He told me this car is the only car that he has driven that excited him anough to actually buy one over all the cars he has driven, ferraris, porsches, lambos, etc.

As for the trans software, this one tested is still not final and is pre-production release. But my experience so far with this week with the old and new personally is night and day! Its being installed right now for future events these car will be used in later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts