Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased euro black optics grill with removable license plate. I was looking to go license plate delete. Does anyone have experience with filling the holes and the three squares that are smoother.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I have the same grille. So far I’ve left mine alone. Others have filled painted.
I don’t think vinyl would look good there IMO.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had a bodyshop fill and paint the grill.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
68 Posts
This is the grill I'm looking for! Where did you purchase it? Part number?

It should be very easy to fill the holes with fiberglass (bondo) and paint them gloss black. Texture-matching the 3 smooth rectangles to the other textured rectangles will be much more difficult. Perhaps they could all be filled with fiberglass and made smooth and painted, but I'm not sure it would produce a better result.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased from R8 stuff. I ordered some black ABS plastic .062 thickness that has the same texture. I’m going to cut squares and try to overlay where the holes are. I will post some pics when completed if it works.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
68 Posts
What about using SEM 39853 Black Bumper Texture for matching the 3 rectangles? Mask off everything except the 3 rectangles, sand to get a surface with better adhesion, spray-on the SEM texture match, and then maybe spray on some gloss black paint to better color match.

EDIT: A spray-on Bedliner might work also. Herculiner seems to be a pretty good color match.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Plastic was delivered today. Going to paint gloss black with plastic paint. Cut square and over lay each box. Should have it completed this weekend.

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
68 Posts
That looks like a good match. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Where did you get this grille? I have been wanting it for years!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Okay I'll PM osman...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Completed grill finally. I have some plastic left if anyone wants to make their own.
FB8D0EAA-6D70-4CC6-804C-8124AA5180AF.jpeg
711BE80B-87C3-4CB6-BAF4-68A0BBD1B6F0.jpeg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts