Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps

Been reading the Eurotunnel thread and would like to know if the headlight benders are sufficient or if you have to go to a dealer to get them adjusted for driving in Europe. I know the older A3 used to have a lever to point the lights right but am unsure if the R8 has them as well. Am told they used to charge £50 for this little trick.

I know the rozzers in France love the topic (and taking your cash on the spot) -- anyone know if the Eurolite benders are OK ?

Also any other tips from those who drive over there -- (I know about the jacket and the fire extinguisher). Not sure about the GB sticker but I will put up with it.

Just for the record -- have experimented with fuel in the UK and found the Tesco 99 Octane the best (tesco is like Walmart for our US cousins) with Shell V-Power runner up (97 octane) -- am thinking I should stick with V-Power in Euro. With T99 the car is incredible, huge difference.

Plan a trip to France and Spain just after Easter and appreciate any intell.

Cheers

-- Munky

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the term headlight benders. Why would they charge you 50 eu?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am unfamiliar with the term headlight benders. Why would they charge you 50 eu?
Hi mngolfer

Headlight adjustment is mandatory for cars that are right hand drive to drive in the Euro zone. This is prevent the drivers of LHD cars being dazzled by the bias of RHD headlights as they point a litlle to the left (to the sidewalk on the left hand side).

Headlight benders are a stick on perspex deflector that redirects the beam to bias to the right (ie on the right sidewalk side) which cost about £6 (USD $10) instead of going to the dealer and getting them repointed via a screwdriver etc by a mechanic.

Audi thought of this in the A3 and simply had a lever to flick to point the lights the right way and charged £50 ($75) for the privelege. I have heard the R8's dont have this feature anymore.

The other problem for us is that to drive thru France you must have a reflector jacket and fire extinguisher in the car (not the trunk). The cops love it as they will issue a (up to) £710 fine payable on the spot for not doing these (and having them in the cabin) and having headlights not adjusted.

Imagine the US drivers putting up with all that every time they wanted to go to Mexico ! Obviously its better to rent a car on the other side but that takes all the fun out of it.

Ah, the joys of right hand drive !

Cheers

-- Munky

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure about the fire extinguisher - never seen that one before.

From the Eurotunnel website:

New French driving laws

French driving laws have changed. From 1 October 2008, all vehicles driven in France, including vehicles registered outside of France, MUST have one Hi-Viz reflective jacket and one warning triangle in their vehicle. The reflective jacket has to conform to EU standard and must be inside the car – not in the boot. On the spot fines varying between €90 and €135 will apply.

Also when I hire a car in Spain, it only has the Hi-Viz jacket in the glove compartment and the warning triangle is in the trunk.

Last time we went over in my wife's A3, we didn't bother with the headlight beam adjusters as no-one else seemed to be bothered with it - but then we never got stopped. I note that with all the foreign cars running around in the UK, none I've seen had these beam adjusters

I also recall in France and Spain you need the insurance documentation with you too.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
In germany you may be asked to present a full emergency first aid kit too !!!!! Big brother has his home base in Europe I think.:eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
718 Posts
Whether they actually work or not, you will need to fit the headlight benders.

You will also need to carry a spare bulb kit (a legal requirement in France) - even though the R8 headlights cannot be user changed !

Also, do NOT have a radar detector in the car. Big problem in France.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Because of the heat generated by the lights, Audi do not recommend "benders". There is a lever behind the headlights that switches them from left dip to right dip. Takes 30 mins at your dealer first time, and watch because it is easy to do yourself when you want to switch them back.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I have just received an education on driving in the EU. :eek:)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I recently had my headlights off and I did'nt notice any lever on them.(for benders). Car's display said HEADLIGHTS DIPPED for a second then shut off.BUT I drove the car a little bit without bumper or lights to freak out my freinds.We do get away with a bit more here in the States!!!:eek:Do not speed in SWITZERLAND !!. The minute those Swiss leave their country they TEAR it up!!!! Lots of different grades of gas,too .Higher octane is available at most of the pumps in Europe.100 octane!!! :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
You will also need to carry a spare bulb kit (a legal requirement in France) -

Also, do NOT have a radar detector in the car. Big problem in France.
Agree about the radar detector - in fact if the GPS has fixed locations in it, you can be fined too.

The bulbs aren't required though from my research.

I'll remember to ask them how to change the headlights when I pick it up.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Heat build-up in my headlights not noticeable...And I have dark protective film covering them...although my rear lights get warm !!! Take care !!:D The laws in Europe can be just a little bit rediculous.Don't do anything to get stopped.This is the best advice I can give you.The police will find something if they want to..They have an arsenal of rules to stick it to you with. But it all boils down to be in the interest of safety. We don't want it but we need it. But I don't understand how a fixed location on the G P S could hurt any-one !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts