Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US cars shift manually in performance mode (unless you use launch control and keep the wheel straight). Any way to get the euro spec performance mode TCU software that auto shifts through Audi wothout “tuning” the car and messing with warranty?
Im assuming no

·
Registered
151 Posts
US cars shift manually in performance mode (unless you use launch control and keep the wheel straight). Any way to get the euro spec performance mode TCU software that auto shifts through Audi wothout “tuning” the car and messing with warranty?
Im assuming no
No EU R8 i have come accriss auto shifts in performance mode. All the ones i have seen and driven are all manual shift only inc launch

·
Registered
151 Posts
why would you want auto shifting?
And your handle is 911 pdk. So u can stop being a hard ass.
Firstly the pdk is also as manual as any auto in manual mode so im not sure what that comment means, iv never owned an auto and actually left it in auto personally and never will, i bought a supercar not an 2 class, secondly auto is certainly not good for track, the tcu is good but its not track good by any means. Thats said im sure if you speak to Audi they may have a suggestion for you, failing that a good Vag coder may have some incite

·
Registered
60 Posts
This took a bit of a turn...

Regardless, I'm a guy who has never daily driven a true automatic. I don't like automatics. DCTs, however, are different. My S3 I drove in manual mode maybe twice. It wasn't worth using manual mode. The car shifts much better when it doesn't have to account for what you want. I like manuals, but I don't need to drive every car in manual mode. I feel like it would be far better at shifting on track than any of us would be. It would certainly shift faster.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firstly the pdk is also as manual as any auto in manual mode so im not sure what that comment means, iv never owned an auto and actually left it in auto personally and never will, i bought a supercar not an 2 class, secondly auto is certainly not good for track, the tcu is good but its not track good by any means. Thats said im sure if you speak to Audi they may have a suggestion for you, failing that a good Vag coder may have some incite
I agree with you and my comment was out of line so im sorry. Second, pdk is like witchcraft and the s-tronic tcu logic is no where near as good in sport mode. What i would like is something similar to sport + in a 911. My 911 was manual and altho it was pretty slick on track, it always held me back because im not as good as the car. Couldnt focus on brake zones and lines as much, plus when you get on the edge its nice to have two hands For quick steering inputs. On the street, manual is amazing. I guess i just gotta live with the current situation amd give it a try

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with you and my comment was out of line so im sorry. Second, pdk is like witchcraft and the s-tronic tcu logic is no where near as good in sport mode. What i would like is something similar to sport + in a 911. My 911 was manual and altho it was pretty slick on track, it always held me back because im not as good as the car. Couldnt focus on brake zones and lines as much, plus when you get on the edge its nice to have two hands For quick steering inputs. On the street, manual is amazing. I guess i just gotta live with the current situation amd give it a try
No offence was taken dont worry, i get what you are saying 100%, i still cany agree that auto is better on track because like mentioned the drive logic of the R8 box doesnt cut the mustard, the pdk is very very clever when it comes to auto but i just dont find myself using it in auto on either car as i like the more involved feel, i guess its somewhere between auto and a true manual.

That said like mentioned it may be worth asking around, i think asking your dealer may be a good first step as there must be a way around it for those in your shoes as you cant be the only one wanting the option surely

1 - 11 of 11 Posts