Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in a city that is no where near a track, so I couldn't track the car even if I wanted to. Even with a readily available track, I don't consider myself a good enough driver to really extend the car. I also don't feel like losing my license, so I don't find myself driving at crazy speeds.

So this leaves the car as a daily driver, which is exactly why I bought it, and am very happy using the car in that role. But this means being stuck in traffic a lot, combined with short spurts where I can wind it up before easing off. Given the acceleration of the car, these spurts last a few seconds. So I am left thinking that this car is like a thoroughbred horse that is never allowed to see what it can really do. If the car had a soul, it would probably demand a new owner.

So this has me wondering. If I feel this way about the V8, what would I gain by having the V10? It feels like it would be wasted on me. Anyone else feel the same way about the V8, and if so what do you do about it? I find myself scheming up otherwise pointless road trips where I can at least find interesting roads and situations to encounter.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Take it out of town and give it the beans, you'll love it, I always thought Canada was a big country with loads of open space and lots of quiet roads? If we can do it here in England, I'm sure you can.

Give it some, you and it will both benefit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually took it on about a 5000k road trip into the mountains last year. The experience was amazing. It's just that with running a company and all, I can't just up and take off whenever I feel like it. So maybe 1 or 2 weeks of the the driving season, the car gets to run all day.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I used to love my m6 which was all about the opportunities to nail the pedal and enjoy the grunt, but for me the r8 is more about the sweet handling than out and out speed.

Having been in the v10 r8 I prefer the v8 engine note to the v10's personally. If I were buying new I'd buy the v10 over the v8 given the standard kit and likely impact on residuals, but I'm struggling to justify an early change to the v10 given I've never really felt the v8 is underpowered for where and how I use the car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to love my m6 which was all about the opportunities to nail the pedal and enjoy the grunt, but for me the r8 is more about the sweet handling than out and out speed.
Agree entirely. Don't get me wrong - I love the car. Just wish that had more opportunity every day to exploit this. I think I am going to quit my job and run away with the car:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts
there must be a good driving road within 1.5 drive of you house... i take the car for overnight drive every two weeks. takes me 1.5h to get to that road i drive there for an hour, sleep at a bnb and come back at dawn. this way u get empty roads and no police. its worth it...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too know exactly how you feel.
I almost enjoy driving my Range Rover more than the R8 simply because the handling limits are reached so much more easily and at speeds which will only get me a few points on my licence.
Having tracked the R8 I know of some nice sweeping bends on local public roads which I could negotiate relatively safely at speeds which would certainly lead to a jail sentence :eek:
Hence the problem - everyday driving at the legal limits is so **** boring in this car :(

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ktacher,

Don't know how to ask this but could it be that you're not happy with the car anymore?

Is it possible there is something else you dislike about the car?

I am trying to see how we could help you feel "better".

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ktacher,

Don't know how to ask this but could it be that you're not happy with the car anymore?

No, I am very happy with the car. I can't think of anything about it that I really dislike. It puts a smile on my face when I jump into it, especially at the end of a particularly grueling day, which is almost every day in this economy. It's like climbing into a sanctuary. Sometimes I shut the radio off, just so I can listen to the symphony from the engine.

It really is an odd situation. As I become more familiar with the vehicle, I continue to discover what an amazing piece of engineering it is, and how my driving environment never really tests it. It's like I have the rights to a pro baseball player, and I never let him get past little league.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ktacher,

Hovy I know how to make him feel better....Tell kthatcher about the Brunette and the R8. I know it made me warmed my heart. I see my R8 in a whole new light now.

No, I am very happy with the car. I can't think of anything about it that I really dislike. It puts a smile on my face when I jump into it, especially at the end of a particularly grueling day, which is almost every day in this economy. It's like climbing into a sanctuary. Sometimes I shut the radio off, just so I can listen to the symphony from the engine.

It really is an odd situation. As I become more familiar with the vehicle, I continue to discover what an amazing piece of engineering it is, and how my driving environment never really tests it. It's like I have the rights to a pro baseball player, and I never let him get past little league.
kthatcher, I would hit at least two of these roads. Happy driving!......

http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/travel_top_ten_150/183_travel_top_ten.html

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hovy I know how to make him feel better....Tell kthatcher about the Brunette and the R8. I know it made me warmed my heart. I see my R8 in a whole new light now.

kthatcher, I would hit at least two of these roads. Happy driving!......

http://ca.askmen.com/fashion/travel_top_ten_150/183_travel_top_ten.html
LOL! Good one Mike! :D

Yes, a friend of mine told me "I have an orgasm just by looking at your car."

Those roads are amazing :eek: I really have to plan a East-West coast Canadian trip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sometimes I feel guilty spending so much money on a depreciating asset like a car. But then I remind myself that I won't be young and healthy forever and that I might as well enjoy it while I'm still above ground.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sometimes I feel guilty spending so much money on a depreciating asset like a car. But then I remind myself that I won't be young and healthy forever and that I might as well enjoy it while I'm still above ground.
Don't feel guilty. Not all things in life appreciate in value. When you like cars, you don't think with your brain but with your heart and "cojones" :D

Enjoy your R8 to its fullest just like I do; averaging 1 speeding ticket a week (gotta love Montreal when speeding with a US license/plates; all you gotta do is pay off the ticket and you're good to go).

It's like a

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
HovyR8, there's a track day at Tremblant next Friday the 19th, if you already have a basics course you could join me there!

·
Registered
761 Posts
HovyR8, there's a track day at Tremblant next Friday the 19th, if you already have a basics course you could join me there!
Oh man!!! I am in Boston and won't come back to Montreal until the 21st! :mad:

Going to the West Coast for a wedding then off to the Mediterranean.

I never had a basic track course but I am sure I would have kicked some ass. (Tracking looks easy, I am sure it's not) :p

Maybe you could join us in the Fall for the private event.

Thanks anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I just signed up for the Autocross school @ waterfest. Can't wait to really push this car

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just completed a 5800 mile cross country trip. I really enjoyed driving the R8 every day, as I usually only drive it on weekends here at home.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just completed a 5800 mile cross country trip. I really enjoyed driving the R8 every day, as I usually only drive it on weekends here at home.
Fantastic. We're thinking of driving back and forth from Boston to Santa Barbara through Vegas to attend a wedding. A detour by Salk Lake is inevitable; just for the pictures.

That will be 6000+ miles in about a week. :eek:

Let's see if the R8 is up for the task. (what a question) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just signed up for the Autocross school @ waterfest. Can't wait to really push this car
Where is that located? Is it a track? Ever tracked before?

I can't wait to try the R8 on a track but I never tracked before. :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts