Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And if you want an R8 (and why wouldn’t you?) then you can save yourself money there too by buying a ‘basic’ one that looks identical to the V10 but has two fewer cylinders. Unlike the Corvette, this isn’t because the V10 is a flawed car – far from it – but where the standard R8 has an almost Lotus Elise-like delicacy to it, the V10 seems to just sit a bit more heavily on the road and is therefore slightly less magical. Of course, the upside of the V10 is access to that fantastic engine, but it would have been nice if Audi hadn’t relied entirely on an extra 100bhp and a different soundtrack to differentiate it.
I haven't seen a post about this--maybe I missed it--but that's what the UK mag EVO said after their comparo test @
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/236719/911_gt3_v_vantage_v12_v_r8_v10_v_corvette_zr1.html

Now, because I have a new v8 on the way, I will probably be branded as this forums all time DOG IN THE MANGER for even bringing this up with all the v10 fever out there.

I had a (recent) crack at a v10 slot from my dealer, before he wrote up my v8 order, and the $ issue is not a problem, but I passed. Not that I don't admire the car and what it can do. But the max HP is just not a goal of mine.

My suspicions about the v10 were a little along the lines of the EVO comments. I liken it to the old original Cobra: small block and big block. Ask someone who's driven both which is the best handler. Now, I admit, that's NOT a good comparison, because the v10 R8 is a superb handler, but that's kind of how I would see the relative difference, but to a MUCH lesser degree.

I personally am not a high HP guy and Alfas and Lotuses have always been my thing. If the v10 IS your thing, go for it. You will not hear a criticism from me.

But I post this interesting comment because a LOT of you are thinking hard about jumping OUT of your v8's, and this just might make you think twice, and maybe go drive one @ Infineon before you make the decision.

Anyway, for what it's worth. And I'm NOT a "dog in the manger." Woof!;)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Some valid points you have raised.I have driven a couple of V10 Lambo's recently and the power is intoxicating but they miss the finesse of a R8 V8.

I am never disappointed jumping back into my R8

My dealer is trying so hard to trade me up to a R8 V10 sitting on the wharf unsold but I not totally convinced of 100 extra horsepower for the money.

I went on a Audi drive experience today in the hands of a professional racing driver and a V8 is still bloody quick and in my opinion a much nicer overall engine sound.

I think the smart money is to wait for the 2010 V8 update and get the 40 hp upgrade being rumoured.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Just sold my V10 today, I'm going back to a V8, I'm going to buy an 18month old car which will cost £40 less than what I've just sold the V10 for, don't get me wrong, the V10 was great but having had two V8's previously I can't see a new V8 being £40 better than a 18 month old V8 with 5-7K miles.

In my opinion the V8 sounds better and with a few tweeks will almost be on the pace of the V10

·
Registered
87 Posts
My V8 is the first exotic I have ever owned. I feel very fortunate to have it. I saw a V10 in a lot the other day and can say that the silver V10 did nothing for me pared to my Red V8. The wheels on the V10 are not as attractive to me as the wheels on my car. I am sure the V10 is an amazing machine but for me at least represents wretched excess.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had seen the comment from EVO about the V10 sitting heavier on the road, and I wondered if they were talking about a very subtle dimension of the overall driving experience. After all, we are talking about a weight difference of only 60K right? Is there something else besides weight difference that would explain what they are claiming? After all, that amount of weight is less than the typical passenger would add. Does anyone feel that the V8's driving feel is impacted much by adding a passenger?

In other words, what am I missing? With that said, I am not at all tempted by the V10 considering how happy I am with the V8, and the financial pounding I would take if I switched now.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
The wheels on the V10 are not as attractive to me as the wheels on my car. I am sure the V10 is an amazing machine but for me at least represents wretched excess.
My first impression of the wheels is that I prefer the V8 style and that has still not changed (I can't wait to see titanium finish wheels with daytona grey pearl!!). No one needs the extra HP but since I am in a position now to decide if I can justify the difference (see my post on the cost comparison) - I am giving the V10 serious consideration.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've ordered mine with the V8 wheels partly because I think the black R8 looks mean enough and the classic lines of the V8 wheels help redress that slightly.

I can't justify the cost of the V10 once I factor in the hit of the trade-in, but its something that won't worry me once I get behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I think these guys should have tried out the new improved faster R-tronic on the V10. Maybe the results would change a bit.....anyway, I'm happy to have that big motor behind me! (I should say...will be.....when it arrives soon :))

Steve

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
All good points willyjp. The V8 is an wonderful car and I hope they don't drop that version as some have hinted. The choice between the two is a close one for me, even with the better than expected V10 pricing. Now that I have driven the V8 on the track, I am certain that I don't have enough skill to drive the V10 any faster. I would not be surprised if I was slower in the V10. However, I still slightly prefer the V10.

The sentiment that the V8 handles better is not universal in the reviews I have read.
The weight difference is small, and can be largely mitigated by adding a lighter exhaust.
I have a 4.2L V8 now in my S4 and as a gearhead, yearn for a new and more exotic experience. This is particularly true if I am going to lay out triple the money. I have also had a fascination with midengine V12s since childhood. The V10 is close enough to satisfy that (I hope).
I mostly like the styling of the V10 better than the V8. This is personal taste and nothing against the V8. Some call the new blades garish, but they just look purposeful to me. It is certainly no Pontiac Grand Am.

To each their own, but I don't think anyone (certainly not me) really sees the V8 as an inferior car. It's just different.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just sold my V10 today, I'm going back to a V8, I'm going to buy an 18month old car which will cost £40 less than what I've just sold the V10 for, don't get me wrong, the V10 was great but having had two V8's previously I can't see a new V8 being £40 better than a 18 month old V8 with 5-7K miles.

In my opinion the V8 sounds better and with a few tweeks will almost be on the pace of the V10
You sold your R8 V10? Why? :eek::confused:

Don't know if the V8 sounds better than V10. Hmmm ... I think as good.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had seen the comment from EVO about the V10 sitting heavier on the road, and I wondered if they were talking about a very subtle dimension of the overall driving experience. After all, we are talking about a weight difference of only 60K right? Is there something else besides weight difference that would explain what they are claiming? After all, that amount of weight is less than the typical passenger would add. Does anyone feel that the V8's driving feel is impacted much by adding a passenger?

In other words, what am I missing? With that said, I am not at all tempted by the V10 considering how happy I am with the V8, and the financial pounding I would take if I switched now.
You raise a VERY good question that speaks to the heart (and I think secrets) of the ART of the car designers.

They CAN and do tweak subtle changes, many below the radar screen of "Specs," in the way a car FEELS. Take for example that famous and subtle Italian sports car feel that's been called "nervosa," (about which I had a previous post).

I have read it said that it often comes down to sometimes extremely subtle differences of firmness of suspension and steering bushings (where moving parts connect), differences in rates of deflection and variance in deflection change with compression in springs, minor changes in shock valving (or in the case of rheo-magnetic shocks, in voltages applied to the fluid), etc., etc. for likely a long list of things.

Now it is obvious that many of those things HAVE to change when you add 104 hp (and especially the torque increase!) along with a little bit of weight.

The end result is: it feels HEFTIER on the road, maybe in part because it has to to handle the forces and in part because the designers INTENDED to impart a little more "GRAVITAS", to borrow a term from the political commentators:rolleyes:.

Whatever and however, you can be sure that what you feel is the result of the designer's long considered calculation, after the input of hundreds, if not thousands of hours on the Nurbrugring, autobahn, city streets and (probably nowadays) simulators.

However the v10 got what it has, you can be sure is was a carefully considered collective choice between available trade-offs--the "art" of engineering. If you like that choice, buy it! For myself, having to make a call without knowing for sure what the v10 would be like, my experience and instinct told me it MIGHT have to sacrifice a little of what I personally treasure in a car, so I passed. The EVO article seems to suggest I chose right FOR ME. Maybe, in time, I'll change my mind ;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The stock V10 needs alot of tweeks I.M.O. If my V8 was all over a Gallardos V10s' hiney, then the R8 V10 BETTER kick its' arse Wolf style. Hearing an R8 V10 that sounded and revved like a modified Gallardo ,like my freinds ,could push me to the V10. I need to try out a tricked out V10 before taking the next step. If I can push my V8 to the majic 200 mph someday I will be completely satisfied with my V8. An airstrip is where most people join this club. I would have to have NITROUS installed to break 200 ,of course ... a 100 H.P. shot should do it . What do you think ? H.P. alone won't get me the 200 mark, Aerodynamics tricks I learned from ECO MODDERS will certainly help. :) And the V8 is waay too heavy already .

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
In what way is the R-Tronic improved for the V10 Steve?
It was reported to be much smoother and faster in it's response time. One reviewer said he couldn't find any reason not to get it now!

Sorry I can't find the original quotes.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Interesting.....My dealer told me the R-tronic was improved in the V10 but I thought it was just sales talk, maybe not. I must say the one I demo'd was very smooth.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Faster response time...Miliseconds probably on the shift times. EXACTLY what I'm hoping a re-map will accomplish for ME. :) (as if she does'nt shift fast enough already !!!) :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
more power and torque would make the box feel smoother even if it were identical - plus depends what version of the v8's tranny software they had used by way of comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
How about passing that rtronic upgrade down to current owners eh?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've had the V10 for two months, and I don't regret the change from V8.
But that's just personal, I always felt that the 420 bhp was never quite what the Le Mans car (600+) promised.

In all other ways, I found the V8 surpassed all expectations.

They are both excellent good cars. There is no "right" or "wrong" here, just personal choice.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts